concordia faculty for religious freedom

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition concordia faculty for religious freedom.

2013-09-13 14:26

I believe this charter is against what has made Canadian values more desired world-wide.

2013-09-19 15:24

I understand that you need ads to support this site, but "match.com" and its request to "Select age to view singles in your area" is not quite appropriate and may discourage many who might otherwise take the proposal seriously.
Paul Allen
The author of this petition

#3 Re: ads

2013-09-19 15:41

#2: -

It's an excellent point and well taken. I will see about getting rid of them as the one with administrative authority on this petition, but unfortunately, I doubt whether it's possible.

2013-09-19 16:20

I am not from a visible minority, I am not religious and I speak and work in French. But this bill sends the message that I am not a real Quebecer and that the PQ is willing to favor old Quebecers over new ones. New Quebecers are the new Quebec. Our students at Concordia -- whatever their background -- are the new Quebec. We need to stand up for them and for ourselves.

2013-09-19 17:11

You really need to get rid of the singles add. I am female, and I find it offensive. Also sends mixed messages - perhaps you need to amend the call letter we receive to warn us this is going to pop up. Pretty ironic isn't it?

2013-09-19 18:49

Why is this petition reserved only for full time faculty?

2013-09-20 00:17

As a part time faculty member since 1988, I would also like to support this petition. Perhaps it could be opened to part timers as well. We all have a stake in this.

2013-09-20 12:19

I'm also wondering why only full-time faculty are included.
Paul Allen
The author of this petition

#9 Re: part-timers

2013-09-20 12:32

#8: Guest -

I think it would be great if part-timers established their own petition. 'Let a thousand flowers bloom...'

The reason for having a distinct petition for full time faculty is due to our central role in carrying out the university's mission, its administration, curricular oversight, student recruitment, admissions etc.

For us to articulate this stance carries its own significance that is analogous to the administration of other public institutions such as hospitals who are also taking a leadership role in opposing in principle this proposed law.

It may be especially important for part-time faculty and/or staff to take a stance in opposition to this proposed law, where it is the case that their trade unions are either ambivalent or even publicly supportive of it. Just a thought...