Let's Buy The Axiom

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Let's Buy The Axiom.

2013-12-01 13:38

It's so sad to see this wonderful historic building being left to rack and ruin. There's no need as it was used by artisans/musicians, etc., so could be used for this again. We need this building saved in Cheltenham
Max Wilkinson

2013-12-01 13:43

If the money can be raised and the taxpayer isn't exposed to potential losses, then this is a good idea. Good luck to you all.

2013-12-01 13:53

The Axiom was a vital arts hub which should never have been closed, and it's a disgrace that the local authority has left it to dereliction when it should have done its duty to council taxpayers and provided revenue to continue its vital community work.

2013-12-01 14:22

Was a major part of my younger years and a much needed resource for todays youth.

2013-12-01 14:42

Have played some amazing gigs here with the likes of Feeder etc
Please sign

2013-12-01 18:02

With the commitment of the community this building can once again be used to its greatest social benefit. Like many other places in Cheltenham, the Axiom has a great history and it be such a shame to see it go to waste.

#32 Re:

2013-12-01 20:15

#28: -

It doesn't belong to the local authority. It is owned by a private company who are free to sell it to whoever pays the asking price. As an 'Arts Centre' it went broke twice. The taxpayers of Cheltenham shouldn't be expected to subsidise people's hobbies.

2013-12-01 22:25

Remember the axiom from 20 years ago when I was a kid. Would be grat for Cheltenham to have it back at its best
Baldiarch

2013-12-01 23:49

I used to frequent The Axiom, back in the day, it was indeed a most excellent venue and a real plus for The Nam!
I can recall seeing an excellent variety of musics there, a well as enjoying the excellent cafe/bar and exhibition space.

(BTW the chap who used to run the place, John, now runs a tiny, but nevertheless, excellent cafe on Westgate Street in Gloucester, called The Crow's Nest.)

I would love to see it reopened and used in the same way that it was previously!

It could certainly put The Nam back on the map as an important town for the creative arts in Gloucestershire!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-12-02 00:25

#36 Re: Re:

2013-12-02 00:44

#32: - Re:

a private company that went into liquidation have allowed the building to fall into further disrepair

2013-12-02 03:30

Baldiarch

#38 Re: Re:

2013-12-02 03:32

0#32: - Re:

#32: - Re:

I believe that the arts are a cultural necessity, and as with many organisations, (as well as individuals), nowadays require an external source of finance in order to sustain themselves.

Your argument, as I see it, is flawed, since the taxpayers of Cheltenham are likeley to benefit from having an artistic hub in the town. Besides which the venue atttracted people from a much further circumference than Cheltenham!

Maybe you don't like live music or photographs/paintings/drawings/dancing, theatre, or any of the other things on offer at an arts centre, but there are plenty of us, who do appreciate their existence, and feel that our culture and our lives are enriched by them, and through sharing them by means of venues, such as The Axiom Centre, reap great benefit from their existence in terms of social cohesion, individual identity, and a sense of belonging, to name but a few of the potential benefits that an arts centre can offer the population of a town or city, or even a village (as is the case in Uley).

Gloucester, very fortunately still has The Guildhall Arts Centre, and Stroud still has The Subscription Rooms and The SPACE (The Lansdown Hall and Gallery), as publically funded arts venues, all of which have greatly aided me in terms of my recovery from a severe brain injury.

I have frequented The Axiom many times during its existence too, although I come to Cheltenham a lot less since its' closure.

The Axiom was the best venue for miles around! And I, was incredibly sorry to hear of its' demise.

May it be resurrected, and contribute, once again, to a more eclectic and diverse artistic venue in Gloucestershire!

May it also, please, be funded (predominantly, at least) by the public purse, (i.e. the council).

2013-12-02 04:33

2013-12-02 10:24

I grew up in cheltenham, and thanks to the Axiom I now sell my art in London and work as an actor. Cheltenham NEEDS a home for young people to express themselves in a creative way. Such an important building.

2013-12-02 11:22

I worked as a volunteer with the children's creative workshops working with children and young people from schools from all over Cheltenham with a diversity of needs and it gave me the experience I needed to then go on to College and gain a teaching qualification and now work full time with young people with a spectrum of abilities and disabilities. Many children in Cheltenham from 1992 will have been given the unique opportunity of freedom of expression and creativity that the National curriculum was/is unable to facilitate. A community arts centre of this calibre would be able to facilitate the diverse needs of our community once again. Cheltenham has a wealth of young people who would gain experience from this venture and perhaps would be encouraged stay in the town rather than look elsewhere. A community arts centre could only add to the cultural value of this town

2013-12-02 15:14

ooops only just realised i hadn't actually signed....! Good luck, the Axiom is sorely needed as a vibrant Arts & Music Centre in Cheltenham!

#43 Re:

2013-12-02 17:57

#27: Max Wilkinson -

You don't agree with public funding supporting the arts? What a great shame, arts and culture are so important to the economy and social wellbeing of Cheltenham.

2013-12-02 20:35

Grogsup

#45 Axiom Arts Centre, Cheltenham

2013-12-02 20:38

The murky details of the owners and their tax wheezes were highlighted in a BBC Radio 4 programme about eight months ago. It’s a disgrace to let this fine old building fall into disrepair after all the hard work of volunteers in the late 70’s and 80’s.
Council vandalism in Cheltenham resurfaces once again!

2013-12-03 00:02

great art resource and venue bring it back

2013-12-03 17:44

I fully agree with your petition. I well remember visiting to view art exhibitions and the cafe which attracted all manner of people. I hope your petition will succeed! You could probably get support from our Uni s.u.and colleges and maybe grants are available.

2013-12-03 19:33

An arts centre and venue is important for building Cheltenham's cultural vibrancy year-round.

2013-12-17 18:43

Write a comment...great potential for further enhancement of cheltenham's credentials as a centre for the arts.

2016-10-22 21:03

Loved the Axiom. My band 'The Dream Poets' played there regularly.