Against Coventry Councils Rates Demands

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Against Coventry Councils Rates Demands.

2014-02-12 16:32

Councils should be encouraging local business not trying to ruin them

2014-02-12 16:33

There should be relief for any organisation trying to better the community.

2014-02-12 16:33

Although I've never trained at The Way of The Spiritual Warrior, I fully support the club's position on these unfair practices being used by the council against Anthony and his colleagues. It's simply outrageous that the council can act in this way which is extremely counterproductive.

2014-02-12 16:42

I really think this is outrageous and is misleading on the grounds that the premises was accepted by the club with consideration on the initial tax evaluation. If this club/business was to be closed it would have a devastating affect on the Coventry and wider community. The club has helped many troublesome individuals to stay focused giving them skills and abilities to enhance their life as well as being decent members of the public. The self defence classes have have provided vulnerable individuals was confidence, motivation and leadership skills. Please take this into consideration.

2014-02-12 16:51

This is ridiculous, this club is an epicentre of martial arts not just for Coventry but for the country. Something needs to be done.
Ken

2014-02-12 16:51

One function of local, city district or county councils should be to promote the set up and growth of businesses and local ones at that, within the areas under their remit.
Instead we see ludicrous rates charged and insane parking charges leading quite simply to dead high streets. At the same time chain stores get grants for building out of town stores and people are permitted to park for free. Councils then panic as revenues drop and raise the rates again. Until they realise that an easier hand will generate more prosperous communities the country will never recover.
Environmentally it is better shopping in your town than driving out of it to some mega complex, socially and economically for the town itself. Please Coventry, why don't you lead the way and regenerate your city and show the rest of the nation what it should be doing!!

Anonymous

#7 Re:

2014-02-12 16:54

#6: Ken -

Thank you mr Harding well put

2014-02-12 16:56

I think it's a disgrace that a Club that does so much good in the community should be put out of business by a Council 's lack of compassion and greed.

2014-02-12 17:55

Why don't councils try and help small businesses instead of making it harder and harder for them to exist?

2014-02-12 18:00

The usual faceless Council jobsworths trying to extort money from the people they're meant to serve and putting people's livelihood on the line to boot.

2014-02-12 18:02

I travel a 70 mile round trip to receive tuition in Coventry. I am already a martial arts instructor with 140 students of my own and i seek knowedge from the best available. Coventry are driving away their assets of the future.

2014-02-12 18:12

Disgraceful behaviour from the council, this business is one of the best in the UK and brings alot of people into Coventry. Very short sighted behaviour

2014-02-12 18:36

I know a small shop owner who was done over in this way while the much larger BSM driving school offices next door paid next to nothing, surprisingly they owned the building and didn't charge themseleves much rent.

2014-02-12 19:38

Mr pillage helped us through some particularly hard times with our teenage daughter. The martial arts helped her learn discipline, working in a team, helping other children that struggled and gave her self confidence.It is a place where deep friendships have been built and will keep in building.
This is not just a venue for martial arts. It is a place where u feel welcomed as part of a big family. If this were to close down we would loose a valuable outlet for the kids as well as adults.

2014-02-12 21:28

and then they say ppl need to invest in coventry and the council WILL HELP!!!!

2014-02-12 21:33

If you were a sports club charity you would get rate relief. one rule for one.

2014-02-12 22:30

It appears Coventry Council have some sort of agenda about the Martial arts, & not a good one...

2014-02-12 22:34

This Gentleman is exactly the sort of person we should be encouraging to work in Coventry - NOT pushing him out of business through ridiculously high rates

2014-02-12 23:44

Way of the spiritual warrior has helped so many people with disablity to troubled children and you everyday familys to competative martial artists, it keeps people fit and changes peoples lives for thr better it should be funded not charged stupidly high rates, the economy is bad as it is this is why small businesses go under because the council only see one side of the story MONEY they dont see the well being of others or the good that it causes let a small buisness grow give them a chance thats how the economic crisis can take a step towards getting fixed.

2014-02-12 23:52

It's clear that the council doesn't want a city populated with independent thinkers, capable of defending themselves and willing to stand up for themselves and others. Why??

2014-02-13 05:18

Im suprized that a petition is even needed in this case!!! Truely shocking.

2014-02-13 11:06

All Martial Artists stick together In situations like this.

2014-02-13 12:13

Hopefully you win this one sir :)

2014-02-13 15:20

This is typical of local councils up and down the country ,they tax good hard working people into submission ,and then complain that their town centres are dying

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-02-13 15:55