Elizabeth City Utilites are too high

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Elizabeth City Utilites are too high.

2014-04-07 16:55

We're looking to move out of the city just because of the utility bill

2014-04-07 17:07

My experience is that my children are in school and myself as well during the week and my bill doesn't get lower it goes up higher. This treatment on the community people on our utilities is ridiculous. I don't understand the reason behind it because the roads are still bad and the water still is hard and smells bad when in use. I resided in Virginia but my bill was never this high. There are people that are on set incomes that can't afford to pay their bills because of the overcharging of the utility bill. This town seems to me is bad news all around.

2014-04-07 17:25

I was raised there..I remember going without lights a lot of times because the light bill was so high..I remember not being able to get school clothes and shoes for the very same reason...I hope this really change something for the kids..

2014-04-07 20:07

I live in a single wide trailer with only two bedrooms and central heating and air system there is no reason in the world why my light bill is running five to six hundred dollars a month. I RENT is only 550 and my light bill is sometime higher than it. my thermostat is set to 70° in winter and summer ands I have nothing in excess plugged in, so my question is why? IT'S ridiculous! I've never seen anyone read my meter but yet when questioned about the issue Albemarle electric states that's it's done with a Gun.The water meters are read manually Isee them ask the time. So my question one again is WHY ? Im sure I'll never get any answers to that guess I'll have to get wavy tv 10 on my side!
Frustrated

#5 Re:

2014-04-07 23:14

#2: -

I agree with you 100% its truly ridiculous. Mines went up a whole $200 from the month before and i was out of town for 2 weeks. Something has to give

2014-04-07 23:32

When your utility bill is just as high or higher than your rent its ridiculous it takes half of what u earn to pay your utility bill
Shi

#7 Ridiculous

2014-04-07 23:56

My utility bill in the winter is outrageous, the summer months is never above $300 which is still high for one month, but better then $ 500 and $ 600. It's hard paying that high bill and taking care of the rest of your bills plus two children. Something has got to give

2014-04-07 23:58

I live just 15 minutes outside of Elizabeth City. The reason we chose to live here, rather than in the city is simply because the rates the City of Elizabeth City charges is too outrageous. You are forcing customers to have to make decisions on how they will feed their families, where they can go(due to rising gas costs). My mother and her husband live and work in Elizabeth City. They paid double of what my family of six in a much larger home had to pay for the month of April. Please stop stealing money from the poor. God will bless you for it!

2014-04-08 01:26

Too high elizabeth city you gotta fix that, its takin too much outta peoples paycheck for something expensive if we are paying our bills on time and can't pay our rent or any bills beside the utilities it shouldn't be that high
Riverside

2014-04-08 01:58

I would like to buy a house in the Riverside area, which is where I grew up. But the city utilities are the main reasons why I can't buy any of the houses I like.

2014-04-08 02:33

It's not one or two people complaining it's the whole town! I have had utility bills over $700 and they will only give you 7 days extension then they expect it paid in full or they will turn your lights off even with kids in the house. I moved in a newer home about a year ago and my bills are still roughly $400 and the rent is $900. If you tell someone who doesn't live here they are astonished at what we pay for utilities. I have even met with they Mayor when McLean was in office and still nothing.

2014-04-08 03:06

Elizabeth City NC has one of the highest rate in NC. I have family that lives in Burlington, NC and family in Wilmington, NC with larger home and more people living in their homes. Their utilities are half of mine. There is two people that lIve at my home that's work, bill is four hundred or more every month.

2014-04-08 03:09

I have seen my light bills as high as 1,000 I dont understand how they could be so heartless enough to cut you off even if you are only 200 short of that 1,000.....

#14 Elizabeth city utilities

2014-04-08 04:45

Someone needs to contact channel 12 on your side.
Justcause

2014-04-08 06:16

Its sad when the only question people ask when they are looking for a home is,
"Is it on city power"? Shouldnt they be asking other questions first? Like schools,
etc? Its a shame that no one wants to live in the city any longer JUST because of that
issue.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-04-08 06:17

#17 Re:

2014-04-08 06:18

#13: -

Because they simply DONT care. They are only worried about how much money and income they are putting on their pockets on a daily!!!

2014-04-08 07:55

One of the main reasons why I moved from Elizabeth City years ago. Unfortunately, GUC (Greenville Utilities) is not any better if not worst.
Read More - Get informed

#19 Here is why:

2014-04-08 13:39

Here is an article that helps to explain why EC utilities are so high:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/30/2788956/the-shocking-burden-of-800-light.html

Here is an article by a civil rights lawyer about Duke Energy potentially buy up the municipal power companies that are part of the high rates in Eastern NC:

http://blogs.law.unc.edu/civilrights/2014/02/06/duke-must-take-debt-along-with-assets-in-buying-out-municipal-ownership-of-power-plants/

If you contact your mayors, senators, and representatives, know the facts first! It makes us all better advocates for fair prices.

2014-04-08 14:53

I live by myself, and work 16 hrs a day and even went 30 days till i did laundry, I did paper cups and plates so i would not have to use the dishwasher. and a literally 2min shower plus if its brown flush it down and still have a 500.00 light bill. but in the summer I can have the a/c going water the yard twice a day and the light/water bill 150.00 how is that why does the rates change so crazy?

2014-04-08 15:01

Every month I feel as if I'm being violated! As previously stated, being a resident of Elizabeth City I have no choice but to pay the outrageous amounts they charge the people of this community, but it is truly a rip off! The city is nasty, run down and crime ridden. How about being able to put more money back in the community to improve things vs not being able to have a extra penny each month because the city rapes us on our electric bill?!!!

2014-04-08 15:41

The rates really suck. I've even went as far as reading my meter on the day they say they read the meters. The numbers never match, and I questioned customer service, and they state the worker doesn't,t actually check the meter it,s done digitally. It really doesn't,t make any sense.

2014-04-08 15:47

Someone is getting very rich off the backs of the poor. But who is this someone?

2014-04-08 15:55

Their a bunch of crooks

2014-04-08 16:17

My area, Floyd, Va. in the mountains and what I pay --compared to Va. beach-- just moved here in October, 2013--
SEEMS TO BE INCREDIBLY HIGH !!