Saving CYTO

John Berry

/ #79 Open your eyes to the potential.

2011-03-15 22:40

When someone from the Council or Government read these thoughts and opinions, I hope they see the potential in the people writing them. How can a group of like minded individuals, all incredibly passionate about CYTO be ignored? They are articulated, sincere and inspiringly honest about the impact of such a place and its staff and yet being ignored! It would take a brief moment to read but a handful of the views expressed to convince even the hardest nosed politician that money must be saved elsewhere. CYTO has contributed to the surrounding area like no other Youth Theatre in the country, However it hasn't only been the arts that win here. The building becomes a sanctuary, safe haven, walk in centre and many more wonderful things to disenfranchised young people. All the wonderful things a church can be and yet the power and effect of such buildings looses any meaning to big wigs, who cant see past their archaic view that the arts are Mickey mouse subjects to be thrown out with the dishwater. The People of Croydon are being shown that no matter what they care for or how much they wish things to be right, someone will tell them they are wrong or worst than that, being ignored!
The cut will run deep. The negative feeling toward the current cuts will increase and some wounds will not heal. You will loose the great work that has been going on in Norwood Junction for nearly 50 years and cut the heart out of a warm, friendly, exceptional place that is a living breathing entity that cares for people. Something that every politician/council worker should believe in.
I work as a freelance director at CYTO, and have been given the rare and fortunate opportunity to produce theatre and film projects that some of these young people refer too, and i know full well how lucky we have all been to have such a platform for expression. However I have also worked for Croydon Council. I have worked in and around Croydon for the last 10 years at Selhurst Boys school ( closed down) and on the PAYP and Bridge to schools schemes. I understand what it is that we are asking for. Money has to be found from somewhere, but money can be used far more efficiently in the Croydon area. I know this to be true, having seen first hand the waste and unnecessary spending on such schemes.
The energy that can be created by positive thinking and action, should be used to help nurture these people, not cut them down. Money should be spent in increasing CYTO, expanding on their current program and building on the fantastic work that happens everyday there. I for one will do everything in my power to make sure CYTO and the ethos its prescribes will continue to grow, however much we are ignored.