Resignation of council members, Dan Struthers & Betty Braegelman

Kayla Anderson- Belgrade

/ #23

2014-11-07 17:48

After reading the front page of the paper an overwhelming wave of embarrassment mixed with sadness and a dash of disgust flooded my being. I'm disgusted with myself for so blindly trusting the city council to serve our beloved community in a manner that upholds their integrity and it's citizens common values. I'm saddened the evil that is power, greed, and corruption has reared its vicious head and affected those who have been trusted to lead and serve with the community's best interest at heart.
With power comes great responsibility. The responsibility to consistently act in a professional manner, no matter whether you're "on break" or at work. The responsibility of adhering to an ethical decision process, and being responsible for an awareness of the effect your actions and opinions have on those around you. The responsibility to be an advocate for your colleagues and a leader in stomping out social injustices such as gossip and bias. I can't help but feel it is not the Chief of police who is skirting his responsibilities, but instead the council and its' members. I will continue praying the members of city council will find their moral compasses once again and lead with integrity, honor, and self-reflection.  Until then, Officer Bjork has my full support.