Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

/ #349 Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-25 15:52

#345: Warrior girl - Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

Absences increased significantly at a number of schools.

"Boy Scout Jamboree is not my.."

- I guess the original poster has to spell things out a little bit more for some people.

School is a small part of learning.  Jamborees, girl scout activities, summer jobs, sports camps, honors camps, travel within the state, travel abroad, day camps, church programs, etc.  are all important parts of learning/growing.

Over 96% of the students in the country (and 96+% of students in Georgia) are on a later start date school schedule.  Hence, the activities noted above are built with this schedule in mind.

It doesn't make sense to undermine Cobb County children's opportunity to participate in these programs by adopting a calendar that starts August 1.

"Lucky east Cobb families..."

- I didn't realize that there was a magic luckiness line in the county.  Where is the boundary between the lucky east cobb folks and unlucky north cobb folks?  Is it Sandy Plains Road?

This past holiday was terrific, with the offset of days into January, we were able to use points for 100% of airfare and hotels - never been able to do that before.