Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools.

Parent

#326 YES to Balanced Calendar

2012-01-23 13:09

The balanced calendar was the best thing ever to happen. I would gladly have it back for the kids, the parents, the teachers, EVERYONE!

2012-01-23 16:50

The year we had a balanced calendar, there were less clinic visits than during a regular calendar.

#328 Re: Re: consider this

2012-01-23 16:52

#322: Warrior girl - Re: consider this

Wow, that's a great fact to know about Six Flags and White Water actually making more with the balanced calendar!   That really needs to be a strong talking point in front of the board - more business/supporting the economy.

A lot of people who are supporting the balanced calendar need to realize this and stop saying that Six Flags is behind the push for the traditional calendar.

Concerned Mom

#329 Re: Tax revenues from small breaks?

2012-01-23 16:55

I completely agree with "#6: - Tax revenues from small breaks? ", if our community is that dependent on the revenue from the likes of White Water or any other amusement venue, then perhaps we need to re-evaluate our priorities and where we spend our discretionary income. Our kids and their education should come first.  There are a VAST number of families that do not pay ANY taxes, however, they DO spend money on entertainment, cigarettes, alcohol, and many other recreational activities. I would like to see them contribute SOMETHING to the FREE education their kids are receiving at everyone else's expense. The percent of parents who contribute their valuable time, money and support is shockingly low.

Let's get real, if something is not done about our education system, more families are going to choose alternative sources for their children's education, which in turn, will mean those parents will not be supporting public education with their time, donations, etc. Of course, their tax dollars WILL continue to go to the schools they are zoned for (which we do not think is fair!). Our family has already decided to make the necessary financial sacrifices to afford to do just this, in the event things do not change; we will be researching private school options if the Cobb County School System does not put the needs of the students and teachers first.

#330 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-23 17:22

#319: - Re: Re: Re: Re:

The more Banks talks, the less anyone listens to him.  He can't even get 1/2 the votes needed to put a topic he wants to discuss on the agenda.

Not sure what 2 board members you are talking about - as I don't think anyone has declared their candidacy  (remember the 2 guys who didn't even bother running again after they voted in the balanced calendar).

2012-01-23 21:38

This petition should be considered for passage for the 2012-2013 school year.
School Board members are voted by Cobb Community residents and will be held accountable for their voting decisions.

#333 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-24 05:22

#330: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

How can you blame Banks? Didn't the unbalanced 4 tell sac's and the grand jury that there wasn't anything that ether of them could do to make them change their minds? As I've told you, but you weren't paying attention, Banks hasn't done anything he wasn't asked to do. You could learn from him and kiss my ass!

2012-01-24 13:38

The action that several members of this school board took last year was a clear signal that they do not care about the majority opinion. I would also suggest those who voted to return to the current calendar did not speak to the teachers or students and only voted to return to the current calendar based on support from business such as White Water and Six Flags. When those who are "representatives" do not listen to the majority they need to be voted out of office and replaced with TRUE representatives of their constituents.

#335 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-24 14:40

#333: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Another brilliant post from another CLassY unbalanced supporter.

Perhaps you should follow Mr. Banks advice - regarding issues on his election platform:

"The School Calendar policy should state that school begins the first day after Labor Day and ends the last Friday of May. This would give a higher degree of predictability for parents and their summer schedules as well as summer school scheduling for students that have a need to catch up. No longer would there be ambiguity with respect to when does the school year start and when does it end."

If Banks wants to listen to squeaky wheels, that's his problem.

-------------------------------------

Contents of post 333 prior to deletion (with ***'s substituting)

How can you blame Banks? Didn't the unbalanced 4 tell sac's and the grand jury that there wasn't anything that ether of them could do to make them change their minds? As I've told you, but you weren't paying attention, Banks hasn't done anything he wasn't asked to do. You could learn from him and kiss my ***!

#336 Re:

2012-01-24 14:47

#334: -

Re:"...only voted to return to the current calendar based on support from business such as White Water and Six Flags."

Balanced calendar supporters claim that WW and 6 Flags are financially better off WITH the balanced calendar. Why the heck would they lobby against it??????  (see post 322).  Sounds like you haven't thought through your argument very well.

Given that no candidate supporting the August 1 calendar has ever won ANY election in Cobb, and

given that every candidate that voted for the more traditional calendar won by majority vote, and

given that each of the 3 candidates who were elected a few months ago had traditional calendar as an election platform item (see Grand Jury findings)

It appears that the board did follow majority opinion.

2012-01-24 16:37

As of now we have had almost 4 years with Obama, things are worse financially for everyone. Trust in Government is at an all time low. When you blatanly ignore the wish of your district, the wrath of the unhappy is visited upon you. You ignored us and did what you wanted to do. Just in case you did not know, that is not the purpose of a public office.

#338 Re:

2012-01-24 16:37

#334: -  

Banks doesn't necessarily need to be voted out. He can quit like crooks and Abraham did after enacting the balanced calendar.
Warrior girl

#339 Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-24 16:44

#336: - Re:  

When you run unopposed platform does not really matter.  The North Cobb race had only one candidate and with a single vote she won, how is that majority? An acccidental click of the key and she wins, no click of the key still wins. We do apoplgize our apathy is the reason this happened.  We must hold ourselves accountable for this, and make the appropiate changes come next election.

#340 Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-24 16:54

#339: Warrior girl - Re: Re: balanced calendar  

KA ran against Opposition. She ran against a candidate SUPPORTING THE BALANCED CALENDAR in the primary. She supported the traditional calendar. She won.
warrior girl

#341 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-24 16:56

#306: - Re: Reality Check 

Thank you, I thought the Victorian age was over, too.  There are unions in Georgia but  they are for the most part ineffective if not completely useless. 

warrior girl

#342 Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-24 16:58

#340: - Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar  

that was in the primary competing for the republican slot, she ran unopposed in the general.  again apathy.

#343 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-24 17:03

#342: warrior girl - Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar  

Since you repeated part of what I wrote, (primary), I'll repeat part also: She beat an opponent who supported the balanced calendar.

#344 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-24 17:06

#306: - Re: Reality Check 

Re: Georgia isn't a 'right to work' state Wrong. Georgia IS a right to work state.
Warrior girl

#345 Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-24 17:48

#15: Drop the issue - Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb 

Other states still have the orginal agraian calendar (Sept. thru June)because for some of them it is still a huge part of daily life. Those states also have enormous amounts of snow on the ground that they combat each year, so they have to make up missed time in June.  Last year was a freak occurance for Georgia, will that happen again this year, no probably not.  I personally enjoyed the new calendar after I experienced it, and what is most important it really helped my children through the school year. Their stress was lowered their performance improved, overall health and well being was at an all time high. As a parent that is my greatest concern as it should be for all parents. Test scores were up absences were down. I am afraid for this year the long stretch to spring break has always been bad except for last year.

Boy Scout Jamboree is not my greatest concern unless it is apart of the CRCT, then I will care.  Summer enrichment does start in May here in Georgia, and if you are going out of state for it than you are technically the minority.  Lucky East Cobb Families who get to travel on beautiful vacations, but here  in North Cobb lots of us were home.  Does one week of not being at the grocery store or gas station make that much of a difference? Do we not make it up in August when we are home? Money is money after all, in the hands of our board always poorly spent.  This past holiday break was horrible, that schedule is horrendous. 

warrior girl

#346 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-24 18:00

#343: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar  

That is why I use the word apathy, a very large portion of us failed to pay attention.  What happened to the democrat or the Liberterian, or the independent, why did we care so little? She won because of apathy..  If we had been paying attention maybe she would not have.  What is more important than our children? How come we weren't paying attention? It is our fault and now our responsiblity.  It must have been the fear of the unknown with the balanced calendar, then we did it and it wasn't so bad. 

Mom with 2

#347 Done with this petition comments!

2012-01-24 18:48

Some of the posts for and against are good thought provoking comments. The majority of the posts are argumentive; and comments back and forth from those that don't agree with the other comment. How can our people in office respect us for our opinions for or against the balanced calendar, when they have to pick through the nick picky back and forth battle of comments to get to the comments that are peoples' opinions for or against, if they are watching this forum/comment section. So please keep this comment page for opinions and not a battle of mine opinion is better than yours. Please we are adults, not middle school children.

2012-01-25 04:05

Great! Glad to see it. Maybe our voices will be heard this time!

#349 Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-25 15:52

#345: Warrior girl - Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

Absences increased significantly at a number of schools.

"Boy Scout Jamboree is not my.."

- I guess the original poster has to spell things out a little bit more for some people.

School is a small part of learning.  Jamborees, girl scout activities, summer jobs, sports camps, honors camps, travel within the state, travel abroad, day camps, church programs, etc.  are all important parts of learning/growing.

Over 96% of the students in the country (and 96+% of students in Georgia) are on a later start date school schedule.  Hence, the activities noted above are built with this schedule in mind.

It doesn't make sense to undermine Cobb County children's opportunity to participate in these programs by adopting a calendar that starts August 1.

"Lucky east Cobb families..."

- I didn't realize that there was a magic luckiness line in the county.  Where is the boundary between the lucky east cobb folks and unlucky north cobb folks?  Is it Sandy Plains Road?

This past holiday was terrific, with the offset of days into January, we were able to use points for 100% of airfare and hotels - never been able to do that before.

#350 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

2012-01-25 15:58

#346: warrior girl - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: balanced calendar

"She won because of apathy"

I disagree.  I don't know KA, but I do know that if she didn't care enough/bother to run - she would not have been elected.  So, she won not because of apathy but action on her part and her supporters/voters.

You are correct that "maybe" she would not have won if someone else ran against her in the general election.  But, "maybe" she would have.