KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

Quoted post

2014-03-31 15:45

The argument framing netsmen as a small, wretched group of individuals being set upon by the big beastly aristocratic landowners is a total distortion badly parroting modern soundbite politics. It is disingenuous in the extreme as salmon are a common resource on the Tamar enjoyed by all. Netsman on the Tamar are in reality a minority seeking to commercially exploit an endangered resource for their own personal gain regardless of the damage they do ecologically.

To say that the netsmans’ activities are in some way more virtuous and therefore ‘sustainable’ because they use antiquated techniques is a completely illogical - Just because I shoot a black Rhino in the face with a bow and arrow rather than a .375 H&H doesn’t diminish my impact upon that species.

Anglers, riparian owners and ecological charities have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds and uncountable hours of sweat and endeavour to try and ensure that salmon and seatrout will be here for the next generation to enjoy. What have the netsman done? Aside from extending a grubby paw to accept a payoff for not being counterproductive to fish stock preservation that is.

Another payout is ultimately what is being bargained for here. Hiding behind the smokescreen that ending the licenses at retirement will erode heritage, is the desire to get another grubby fistful of money for selling the licenses on. They’ll also probably be upset to lose their legitimate front for illegal poaching activities.

The netsmen are ultimately a greedy, self interested and short sighted circle on the wrong side of history. No better than whale hunters or providers of endangered species for Chinese medicine they care little about their exploitation.

Time and tide have moved on and it is with this generation that we should consign netsmen to the past. I suspect as soon as they are gone it will be a past we feel no pride in recalling.

Replies

#39 Re:

2014-03-31 17:59:15

#35: - Well said and all correct