KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

Quoted post

2014-03-31 19:53

On the contrary 38 I have fished a fly with the best thats how I've witnessed the wilful slaughter of gravid stock by anglers, seen for myself the damage caused to lips and gills
and the exhaustion of fish released back to the river after being played for an hour to
provide 'sport' for the angler.I've actually seen coloured fish taken for the pot and spewing eggs on to the grass and that is why I always fish for salmon between June and July when I can take prime fish home to eat.
The biggest predators of Tamar salmon are multiplying at an alarming rate over 20,000 at the last count one salmon per day for four and a half months x 2o,ooo is a lot of salmon eggs.
And lets put the record straight about net catches they cannot influence stocks because the
by-laws,regulation and NLO's have stopped or reduced to an extent that they are being bludgeoned out of existence while the lucrative profits of the riparian owners are protected and allowed to
exploit the most fish for the longest period.

Replies

#48 Re:

2014-04-01 07:04:20

#45: - Most fly fishing on the tamar is catch and release. In 45 years I have NEVER seen a Salmon hooked and played for more than 15 minutes, If fact most are returned within 6-8mins nowadays due to conservation issues.  I have NEVER seen eggs dripping out of a fish, where are you seeing this? Any angler keeping a stale fish should be prosecuted as far as Im concerned. But, this post is about conservation of decimated tamar salmon stocks and the nets which do nothing for the cause and sadly will only add to demise of this precious creature which has swam the Tamar for centuries. There are two views on the subject nets / no nets. We just need to ensure that the REAL facts are reported. This is not rich v poor as posts keep reporting, this is conservation.