Reinstate 1 yr Applied Ba ECCE @ Carlow IT for higher capitation

Quoted post

2016-04-14 20:21

I have 14 years experience working in the chidcare sector. I have 5 years of study behind me, 2 years doing my level 5, a year doing Montessori, 2 more years doing level 6. I am more than willing to pay 2-3 thousand euro to upskill to a level 7 and feel that after 5 years study behing me, completing the level 7 in a year should be achievable, attending classes twice a week. Someone can come straight out of school and complete their level 7. Surely experience and years of study behind me counts for something. There are practical things we learn through doing and in putting theory into practice that no book could ever teach you. No other sector has to put up with this constant changing of requirements with such low pay and low regard for the work we do. Children are constantly learning, early childhood workers are entrusted with children in their learning and development when they are at their most vulnerable time. It takes hard work and dedication to do what we do but we do it because we love it and enjoy it yet we are knocked back again and again. Anything the government can do to make it harder for childcare workers to better themselves they do it. Why should we upskill and pay thousands to be in debt to teach and care for young children and yet primary and secondary schools do the same but get paid all year round, have pensions and are respected for the job that they do. Things have to change, we cannot stand for this any longer!

Replies

#4 Re:

2016-04-14 21:05:38

#1: -  

I am feeling exactly the same as you i have 22 years experience spent 2 years doing nneb diploma another year training as a montessori teacher two further years doing level 6 so that's 5 full years it should count for something 

#19 Re:

2016-04-15 20:18:38

#1: -  

I can see you have a lot of study behind you, but if you actually look into what Carlow IT requirements are before any student is even a accepted for interview for the course you will find that students have to have completed level 6 Fetac course and have 3 years experience full time experience within the industry, so no one can just get into this course straight from school.