Reinstate 1 yr Applied Ba ECCE @ Carlow IT for higher capitation

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Reinstate 1 yr Applied Ba ECCE @ Carlow IT for higher capitation.

2016-04-14 20:21

I have 14 years experience working in the chidcare sector. I have 5 years of study behind me, 2 years doing my level 5, a year doing Montessori, 2 more years doing level 6. I am more than willing to pay 2-3 thousand euro to upskill to a level 7 and feel that after 5 years study behing me, completing the level 7 in a year should be achievable, attending classes twice a week. Someone can come straight out of school and complete their level 7. Surely experience and years of study behind me counts for something. There are practical things we learn through doing and in putting theory into practice that no book could ever teach you. No other sector has to put up with this constant changing of requirements with such low pay and low regard for the work we do. Children are constantly learning, early childhood workers are entrusted with children in their learning and development when they are at their most vulnerable time. It takes hard work and dedication to do what we do but we do it because we love it and enjoy it yet we are knocked back again and again. Anything the government can do to make it harder for childcare workers to better themselves they do it. Why should we upskill and pay thousands to be in debt to teach and care for young children and yet primary and secondary schools do the same but get paid all year round, have pensions and are respected for the job that they do. Things have to change, we cannot stand for this any longer!

2016-04-14 20:53

Disagree with DCYA changing the goalposts just because they don't want to pay practitioners a professional wage

2016-04-14 20:59

Childcare Providers

#4 Re:

2016-04-14 21:05

#1: -  

I am feeling exactly the same as you i have 22 years experience spent 2 years doing nneb diploma another year training as a montessori teacher two further years doing level 6 so that's 5 full years it should count for something 

#5 Re: Re:

2016-04-14 21:21

#4: - Re:  

Please please re instate! I have 12 years experience and run my own wee montessori school. couldn't ever afford to do 4 years but want to upskill to level 7. Please please please let us have this chance, we deserve it!!!!! :( 

2016-04-14 21:32

Because it is a way to get some extra needed income for my small struggling business..

2016-04-14 21:57

This course is currently listed on DCYA list of recognised Early Years qualifications which qualify for higher capitation. It does not state that this is for a restricted period. How therefore can they get away with removing it for other experienced practitioners who wish to apply for it to avail of higher capitation.

2016-04-14 22:11

It devalues the degrees that people like me have worked very hard for and paid a lot of money for! It dose nothing to promote professionalism which we are fighting for day after day!! 

L Ni Flannagain
The author of this petition

#9 Re:

2016-04-14 22:19

#8: -  

It only devalues the degree if you believe it does, I am a nurse, I qualified long before it became a degree course. I never felt any less a nurse because I gained my qualification differently and I never belittled those with degrees for having no hands on experience. We were all in the same profession supporting each other ,learning from each other and working to keep people alive and healthy. This is simply recognition of another unique situation where people are formalizing what they already know and have experience in -it is thankfully ,progression. 

#10 Re: Re:

2016-04-14 22:25

#9: L Ni Flannagain - Re:  

People need to know that it is NOT a degree in one year rather it is progression from level six to level 7 or equivalent to year 2 of the honours degree –( year 1 = level 6 equivalency year 2 level 7 year 3 = level 8). It is a progression programme for those who have completed level 6 and have specific experience in the sector. 

L Ni Flannagain

#11 Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-14 22:34

#10: - Re: Re:  

That's made perfectly clear in the literature for the course and anyone who has signed up for it is well aware of that fact.

People in this sector who already have ordinary degrees are quick to point out how your degrees are being devalued , it would be great if you protested to the Government about how on a whim, they are truly devaluing previous courses and demoting courses  to suit their childcare budgets with absolutely no consideration for the human cost. Protest for something positive. This is a petition to reinstate the course on the higher capitation list. You have your degree & higher capitation so there is absolutely no need for you to post here. It wasn't set up to allow you vent, if you need to do that perhaps it's best you set up a petition yourself .

2016-04-14 23:17

Pathways for childhood professionals need to be accessible and attainable. The government needs to support us not keep shifting the bar. #oneunitedvoice

2016-04-15 00:17

I feel very strongly that if one SMALL cohort of people in the Carlow Kilkenny area got this opportunity then so should all others within the sector be given an equal chance. It has to approved & well vetted by QQI, so I ask the question why has it not got a wider application to other areas in the country. I feel it is discriminatory practices not to allow others access this same course that has allowed our colleagues to attain a level 7 degree. What has changed and who has effected that change?? And why????? Certainly it has not come the depicted childcare workers who were excited by the opportunity this course provided them.

#14 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-15 08:21

#11: L Ni Flannagain - Re: Re: Re:  

Well said. I don't know y people with degrees are trying to ruin it for the people who are trying to better themselves. We are not in.competition with each other! All childcare workers want better standards for our profession. It cost me €250 per module to do my level 6, I didn't complete them at the time when there were only 4 modules due to personal reasons so I had 8 modules to complete. Then the learner fund came in and people had the opportunity to complete modules for €25 each! They wasn't an uproar then from people doin the 8 modules at this price from other people in the profession. The point of this is goalposts are being changed for us in childcare all the time to make things harder for us. At a time when we should be joining forces not belittling others for their efforts. 

#15 Re: Re:

2016-04-15 08:23

#4: - Re:  

It really should. This is very unfair. The government are just terrified they will be paying the higher capitation rate to almost all services if this was to go ahead, they panicked and this is the result!! 

2016-04-15 09:52

I'll sing this with my on hand

2016-04-15 10:36

Because the sooner childcare becomes a recognised profession the better

2016-04-15 20:14

Is the confusion about three year study. Carlow IT will not accept anyone who has not completed their level 6 course. I am proof of this as I had one module left to do in level 6 last April and I was not accepted for the level 7 which commenced in sept 2015. Students attending this course have completed level 5 and level 6 before they can be accepted for level 7. So thus the three years will be completed by the end of this level 7.

#19 Re:

2016-04-15 20:18

#1: -  

I can see you have a lot of study behind you, but if you actually look into what Carlow IT requirements are before any student is even a accepted for interview for the course you will find that students have to have completed level 6 Fetac course and have 3 years experience full time experience within the industry, so no one can just get into this course straight from school.

#20 Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-15 20:21

#15: - Re: Re:  

Look at the actual requirements of  Carlow IT. They don't just take any students you have to have level 6 and 3 years working in the industry. People have study lies level 5 and 6 and work full time in childcare before even having an interview to get to do level 7. We have worked hard to get here. 

#21 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-15 20:46

#20: - Re: Re: Re:  

If it's my comments you are referring to I completely agree with you. What I was trying to say is someone can come out of school and go straight in2 a degree course...yes this should be 3 years for them. Then other have spent (in my case) 2 years fulltime doing a level 5, a year and a few thousand euro later completing a Montessori diploma, a couple of thousand again and 2 more years part time do complete level 6 plus 14 years experience and I was willing to do another year at a cost of another €2-3 thousand euro to complete my level 7. Other level 7 courses are competed in 2 years, if u have your level 6 you are exempt from.some of level 7 plus it's one night a week so surely by going twice a week and by putting in the hard work necessary it is achievable in one year. 

My point is if u have no other study or experience behind u then level 7 should be 3 years full time. With a level 5 and 6 behind you level 7 can be achieved in one year. The people who completed it in.2014 and 2015 are proof of that!

2016-04-16 13:42

Signed because so many people were interested in this programme and met the qualifying criteria. It was pulled by DCYA with no warning or consultation with the sector. The most vocal against this were noticeably those who acted in self interest as the popularity of this course had to diminish enrolments elsewhere. It appears DCYA listened to one side and didn't give any thought to the wishes of the sector.

#23 Re:

2016-04-16 16:01

#22: -  

Well said, it's become exceptionally apparent by discussions on social networking pages and closed groups who are (how should I put this) forcibly against it ,to the point they are bullying posters , blocking them, getting social networking pages closed down by scurrilous reporting .No healthy discussion, just self serving interest by people who have spent time and money on the course and feel hard done by. If they were genuinely concerned about the quality of the course they might at least have informed themselves about the course contents  and why they felt with level 5&6 and 3 years experience (the least requirements, we all know people interested may have so much more) were not enough. Funny enough the ones who objected couldn't answer in any depth just rhetoric

#24 Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-16 18:16

Is that a definite that year 2 is equivalent to level 7? What to get that in writing.....

L Ni Flannagain

#25 Re: Re: Re:

2016-04-16 19:15

Yes people keep refering to it as a degree in a year, this is the misconception. You are only accepted if you have studied sufficiently -i.e. time and content(with certificates to prove obviously ) and hence covering the first two years of a level 7 Ordinary degree AND three years experience to boot! That is my understanding of it