Save RHS

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save RHS.

2014-08-22 02:14

They should keep the performers are open I like there music!! :)

2014-08-22 02:16

They should not closed down the  performers arts class. A lot of people were very sad. I feel very bad about them !! :(

2014-08-22 02:17

The former band director and current music supervisor Mr. Willie McAllister was my band director in middle school. If it were not for him inspiring me to love music and the arts, I would not have been able to attend college with a music scholarship. The music programs are a part of DPS and should remain that way. The students need these programs.

2014-08-22 03:58

2014-08-22 04:54

I am honored to support the effort to protect the arts and music at RHS.
Melinda

#131 Re:

2014-08-22 05:03

#2: -  

What gets me is the Governor can find money to put a new sports center in but takes this away.  Another old white man taking away from the African American community & people say there is no race problem here. BS!

#132 Save RHS

2014-08-22 06:01

The music department should not be removed. These actions would only be stripping us students of our future opportunities. Many students from RHS received scholarships to top Universities from their participation and dedication to their art. Why take it away? 

2014-08-22 11:26

As a former band director, this saddens me to hear that your central office is willing to eliminate a program that statistically has proven to be beneficial to all students by increasing test scores and overall student achievement. I would be interested to know which other programs are being eliminated.

2014-08-22 12:22

Being a graduate of the Performing Arts Program at Cass Tech. "Class of 75", I know the great value of the program just search around and you'll find great artists, performers and many professionals who have benefited from such a program!

Elder Hernandez "PACO" Havard
Kate Wells

#135 Re:

2014-08-22 14:49

#14: -  

Hi, I'm a reporter with Michigan Radio NPR, and I'm writing a story for statewide broadcast about the possible cuts at Renaissance. We're looking to talk with Renaissance students briefly today. If you would be interested, you can shoot me a msg. It's my first name (Kate) @ Michigan Radio dot org.  Thanks! 

2014-08-22 14:59

The district needs to look at the monetary value of performing arts as it relates to scholarships.
I wanna help

#137 Save Renaissance High School Music Department

2014-08-22 15:37

Renaissance High School is a Top Performing School, with a well rounded curriculum. At least that was it's claim to fame up until now.  Why would the State decide to dismantle this one particular school? If we take this laying down, Detroit Public School can forget it.  Renaissance High Students are some of the brightest and best in the Detroit, so they start with the best and dismantle... any school less, will be like taking milk from a baby.  Help... this mess is getting really deep. Lord, please take over, because the devil is so busy...Yes, I know the Devil is a Liar.  Thank you Lord in advance for taking care of this horrible situation.  

2014-08-22 15:39

My daughter is a senior. She is part of the dance team. She has attend Rhs for four years. she has been in dance the whole four years. She is trying her best to receive a scholarship in band. These students are very talented and deserve to continue to show case what they know best. Please let them keep there music department. 

2014-08-22 15:44

Snyder talking about importing workers due to the states lack of. Why does he or the city of Detroit even think we would have skilled workers. Children can't even get an elementary education much less Performing Arts.We all need to stand up and not allow this state to jeopardize the next generations!
hey kate,your email doesnt seem to be working.

#140 Re: Re:

2014-08-22 15:48

2014-08-22 16:10

My cousin graduated from RHS and being in the choir is how she was able to enjoy school! Also, one of my friends will be graduating next year! Without Music, life would be so boring and if the performing arts program is taken away, the students could lose their scholarships for college as well as the chance to do something they love and turn it into a career! These kids are the future and it can't be taken away by no means!

2014-08-22 18:21

Having taught music at several colleges and summer camps, and having judged music students at district and solo & ensemble concerts, I can say that Renaissance High School music students are wonderful. They are role models for _any_ public school system, and their school programs should be celebrated, not cut! Why destroy one of the best things I've seen (and heard) to come out of Detroit (let alone Michigan)?

2014-08-22 21:25

why should you stop some positive you need to do everything you can to keep students in school not send them out.cut the emergency manages money and let the kids have their band.no some got to be wrong when they won't even come out and talk to a report about what's going on get rid of them.

2014-08-22 21:44

Yes, this is a most urgent matter! Please help our students /children ...

2014-08-22 22:56

Ridiculous!!! These hard working students need these activities! The adult crooks in the community need to give back to the kids! The city has been ruined. How do you expect to keep hard working families living in the city when their children can't get a good education? This just infuriates me!

#146 Save Renaissance High School Arts Department!!

2014-08-23 02:14

My name is Nina R. Scott. I taught vocal music at Renaissance High School for 19 years. During my tenure at Renaissance the students were able to travel to Ghan...a west Africa 4 times, to Montecatini, Italy, and to several cities in Canada. They performed on the stages of Lincoln Center, Alice Tully Hall, and Carnegie Hall twice. They travelled to approximately 22 colleges and universities, performing on the campuses and auditioning for scholarships. Hundreds of students, music majors and students studying in other fields, recieved scholarships who may not have otherwise been able to attend college. The choir was chosen as the best choir in the state by the Michigan School Vocal Music Association twice. Ensembles and Soloists were chosen to attend the pretigious Michigan Youth Arts Festival 11 times.Students who graduated from this program are now college music professors and music teachers, noted performers, teachers, lawyers, doctors, and leaders in communities around the country.The position is currently be taught by my former student, Ms Patrice DeBose. She is a wonderful dedicated teacher who has insured that this program remains vibrant and productive. These are just some of the accomplishments of the students in the Vocal Music Department. The Instrumental and Dance Programs have very similar statistics. This is the program that Detroit Public Schools wants to cut? How can you say that you are working for the students if such a vital part of your schools can be eliminated? Please rethink this decision. Too many students will lose if it is carried out!

I am so glad that so many people are taking on this battle. This is the time for all choir, band, orchestra, and dance students who have ever been helped by a fine arts program to take a stand. Sign the petition!Make your voice be heard.

2014-08-23 02:51

I don't understand why in our society, the arts are viewed as inferior to the typical academic courses. It was discovered that playing music exercises all areas of your brain, and is the only activity to do so. No amount of math problems a day will allow a young brain to grow more than a steady music education. The arts are important. Just because the "decision makers" in our society weren't given the opportunity to discover the arts or are too naive to believe that the arts make a difference, doesn't mean that the students at RHS should have their earned opportunity taken away.

2014-08-23 22:02

Things dont need to change because renaissance is the best for a reason why change now

2014-08-24 02:20

I participated in both the vocal and instrumental music programs at RHS. My love for music of all types was cultivated there and some of my fondest memories in high school were made while participating in the music program there. The arts are integral to a well-rounded education. Whatever can be done to save the fine arts program at Renaissance High MUST be done.

2014-08-24 02:54

That's a shame, they don't need to get rid of nothing at RHS. My son just graduated in June. Leave RHS alone