Save RHS

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save RHS.

2014-08-24 17:48

I believe that if you take away the fine arts department and most sports it'll just be bad for the kids who want to do sports as well as fine arts. Plus its important to keep such activities like sports and fine arts because students can get scholarships for these reasons. And why take some of the best teachers out of renaissance when I'm sure they helped kids become better students and I'm sure they knew what they were doing to help their students. I was actually interested in renaissance. But coming from a person whose attending cass, the students there will have better experience in sports and in fine arts than the students at renaissance. So my point is that if you do make this mistake it'll make the school look bad.
Kaisala

#152 RHS Music

2014-08-25 01:29

I was part of Varsity Chorus during my time at Ren. No, I did not pursue a musical field, but music has helped me throughout my life. I have suffered with depression throughout many years beginning during high school. The only thing that really has been a continuous thread to hold me together. Every year, I have a concert with my mom of music from my RHS days. She's still trying to get her church to do our music properly. But the song "hear my prayer" has kept me from feeling lonely during many episodes. It reminded me to pray and that god is always near. I've never been good at memory verses , so the music has helped me write the very scriptures in my heart that got me through my life's most tragic times. Even not having the will to get out of bed for two weeks, singing those songs to myself has saved my life. 

It's about career for so many. The people I sang along side are now entrepreneurs, doctors, opera singers, and on broadway directly as a result of the music program. One of the greatest voices that could make me cry didn't even know she had that voice until joining the choir. She was class of 94. How can the Motown City lose it's music programs. It's the heart and soul of the city. Children who otherwise see the world looking at them expecting failure in such a "devastated city" have less to hope and dream for... The child said it's their turn and now it's gone. The research clearly shows how math and sciences are better understood by students of the fine arts, and is that now to say the thing that helps motivate and inspire students is reduced to a budget item that no longer holds enough value. 

I'm saddened that people who have lived through music being a lifeline can so easily take it away from others as if the impact has been minor. What will happen to children without an outlet? I imagine any pressure cooker without a release valve will explode. These children NEED an outlet. It's not optional. If they are not guided in how they express themselves it will more than likely become a negative expression. Doesn't Detroit have enough of that? As talented as these children are at least give them an opportunity to fundraiser to save their futures. Give them a chance to show their hearts for what they love before they even know the fullness of what it will bring. Give alum an opportunity to help them because we know the value from personal experience. Renaissance is known across the globe in part due to the fine arts program. Will it now lose it's impact and reach? 

Is the only solution a win or lose decision? Has the foundation of education not been set on the ability to seek out alternatives to what we already believe? Are students being taught to exercise a level of thinking not being used to determine a portion of its fate? Show students, not tell them, how to be solution focused. Show them, not tell them, how their futures are worth the fight. Show them, not tell them, they have a chance to paint their own life's canvass. Don't take away their tools.

2014-08-25 15:00

I am a junior at Renaissance High school and a member of the band and drum line. The band program at Renaissance was one of my reasons for attending the school. Our school has had a history of excellence in academics and in the fine arts. A school such as Renaissance, which is ranked top in the city and 35th in the state of Michigan, deserves funding for its fine arts program, so it can continue to attract excellent students.

2014-08-25 16:01

I am sorry to hear this

2014-08-26 00:19

I am an alumni and that school matters greatly to the kids in DPS and to the city and its growth. The classes are already overcrowded and they need more money, and more staff as soon as possible to remain the best high school in the city. One of the best performing high school's in the state.

#156 Save the arts

2014-08-26 01:27

This State (Country even) is moving away from teaching the "whole child".  To just nurture only a part of a child is not doing this world any favors.  The arts teach our students to think critically, problem-solve, and empathize.  The arts build confidence, stimulates conscientious effort, and promotes cultural awareness.  Is there evidence that education without the arts will build stronger leaders?  No!  But, there is plenty of evidence to show that arts-centered education yields better test scores.  Should we keep moving in this direction, we are all in danger.  And, how wasteful to invest so much money in the building of the dance and music facilities only to eliminate the programs.

2014-08-26 18:02

I am a dance educator for over 40 years, I still have students you contact me to tell me how taking dance class in my program in the public schools impacted their studies and careers later in life. Words such as "taught discipline", made them " think outside the box", learned a " new mode of expression" helped to "integrate ideas" and "work with classmates".

Please do not eliminate such a valuable artistic experience. Detroit schools have been the model of Dance Education in the Country let's continue the legacy!

2014-08-26 19:42

I think that it is sad that the school district is willing to take away something the help the children with their skills and also allow them to advance in college with these skills. Please help stop them from messing with our children future

2014-08-31 09:05

I am a Renaissance Alum, as well as Renaissance Varsity Chorus and Renaissance Singers. I could never begin to tell you how much being in the choral department changed my life, and my outlook on school. I was eager to get to school, knowing I got to sing multiple hours throughout the day. I loved it, and the choir director, Mrs. DeBose, who became a second mother to us in our home away from home- the choir room. I know there are many others who feel how I do, whether they were into sports or dancing our extracurriculars played a major part in our lives as a student. Renaissance has slowly been falling since my junior year and I hate where it's headed. Firing teachers with unfit replacements, taking away the ever-so-helpful rotating schedule... Like why? administration has been worried about the wrong things. There was a time when people took pride in being a Phoenix, and I honestly see why the spirit is faltering.

#160 I'm so sad.

2014-08-31 09:19

This literally hurts my heart. I graduated in 2013 and the choral department has been struggling, yet fighting for the last few years. There was something for everyone to get involved in at Renaissance. Whether it was singing, dancing, the band, orchestra, a plethora of sports, everyone had a positive outlet at a school whose stress level is so high. No the Phoenix curriculum is no joke and taking away the one leg that these students have to stand on is just cruel and unjust. No rotating schedule? I feel like they are doing this on purpose: taking away the advantages we had. We can't stand idle while this happens. Even though I just graduated, what about those after us? And those after them? They need the fine arts and amenities just as we did. 

2014-08-31 09:35

Mr. Smith is great. They'll definitely regret losing him. If I had a high school he'd definitely be hired. He's honest, dedicated, and always goes the extra mile to not only help students, but to genuinely educate them. During lunch hours you could always be sure Mr. Smith's classroom was full of students. He was more than an economics teacher to us.