Save RHS

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save RHS.

2014-08-20 01:26

#saveRHS

2014-08-20 01:29

Really hope they do not take those programs away, it does not seem fair.

2014-08-20 01:36

-

2014-08-20 01:47

Save RHS

2014-08-20 01:48

SAVE THE MUSIC!!!

2014-08-20 02:07

2014-08-20 02:46

Mr.Smith was one of my favorite teachers at rennaissance and I actually became really interested in economics because of the way he taught our class. Also my dance and art classes were like my escape classes because I had something to look forward to during the day since I enjoyed those classes. Taking away the creative things that make renaissance any other school and doesn't deserve the title "RENAISSANCE HIGH SCHOOL" if the school doesn't have both creativity and intelligence.

2014-08-20 03:49

Art is expression.

2014-08-20 04:23

Please bring our programs back

2014-08-20 04:26

It's beyond me how Renaissance High School is ranked the number one DPS school, and we now have to reduce staff. Renaissance is known for having its students to take four years of math, science, social science, English, foreign language and creative arts. Without creative arts, Renaissance loses at least four electives. The definition of the word "Renaissance" is "a cultural rebirth." To be a Renaissance student, one must be well rounded in ALL subjects, including creative arts. Please reconsider your decision. It may seem beneficial money-wise, however think of the benefits us students will get. Thank you.

2014-08-20 04:28

Im very disappointed. This a sad situation. I hope dps makes the right decision.

2014-08-20 06:17

I think taking away this school's Fine Arts programs would only cause trouble on the streets and in the schools. People I know have attended RHS, they are very talented and smart. Detroit is bankrupt and needs money, yes. But let the parents and lawmakers worry about that. What's most important is the development of these young adults. Let them keep their favorite activities.

2014-08-20 06:33

Please sign now!
Taylor P.

#39 Re:

2014-08-20 06:54

#18: E.H. -  

preach

2014-08-20 07:26

I am DPS! I want to see the high schools and traditions saved. This is the second year that we have had to save a high school. Better solutions need to be presented. Destroying the legacy of a high performing high school isn't it. I went to Dr. Martin Luther King High School, but I stand with Renaissance High School.

2014-08-20 09:28

Why cut what makes the children more well rounded? This is outrageous. Renaissance High school is the best in the district. Why make these changes? By making these changes, DPS is doing nothing but giving Renaissance a bad name. The only finding changes that need to be made is more money toward our sports and fine arts. Don't fire our one and only best economics teacher, higher more and let them learn from him. If you aren't making these positive changes to Renaissance then don't make any changes at all.

2014-08-20 11:31

It is dire that Renaissance maintains itself. If and when things change then students will not have the same access to college and opportunities that alumni have had.

2014-08-20 12:45

Detroit Public Schools does not care about the children or the teachers. As usual it is about the money. It continues to amaze me how the people at the top continues to make decisions. They are not making decisions to cut their salaries or get rid of many unnecessary positions at the top. Our children and teachers continues to suffer for the mismanagement of funding that is the. fault of the decision makers. Please stop the madness. OUR CHILDREN ARE OYR FUTURE.
tcher2007

#44 Save RHS

2014-08-20 13:02

Save RHS DPS (Detroit Public Schools) are making drastic changes to Detroit Renaissance High School. They are getting rid of the rotation schedule, a method that ensured students were meeting that criteria for graduation. They are also considering firing teachers. Including Kevin Smith, the best, most well-known Economics teacher inMichigan and DPS Schools. Along with cutting funds for sports programs, they are getting rid of the Fine Arts Department (Choir, Band/Orchestra, Dance, and Art Programs). Renaissance is supposed to be the school of arts and science, and to take away these programs is to take away our school’s identity. By signing this petition, you help ensure that the children of RHS get a well-rounded and experience a brighter future.

2014-08-20 13:08

RHS is known for The Arts, dont take that away!

2014-08-20 13:33

Changing the make-up of Renaissance will destroy the character and legacy of the school. Renaissance is a school that excelled in not only academics, but also the arts. The rotating schedule allowed students to take more classes to be better prepared for college. Historically it produced far more well-rounded and prepared students. You cannot make it the same as the other high schools and remove the very things that make it #1. As an alum I am very disheartened to hear that these changes are even being considered and know that these ideas can only come from someone that does not carry the Renaissance spirit and passion within them.

2014-08-20 13:57

Keep Renaissance just as it is.
J. Taylor

2014-08-20 14:17

As a graduate of Renaissance I can't stress the importance the music department had in my development . The fine and performing arts department impacts the student in multiple ways that are detrimental for our develop. Music, Dance, Art they build our character, our discipline, our creativity, and our responsibility. I have grown not only as a student but as a person through the fine and performing arts. Taking these away will surely deprive future generations of the outlets they need to grow

#49 Re:

2014-08-20 14:22

#1: -  

I graduated from Renaissance almost 30 years ago, in one of the first classes.  I believe in the value of a well-rounded education, and that should be enough.  But even leaving that aside - looking just at whether the school does what it's supposed to do in giving people opportunities - this is incredibly short-sighted.  College admissions is a VERY competitive process today.  We should be looking for well-rounded students, but more importantly they are looking for well-rounded students.  By taking those opportunities away, you are hurting their academic opportunities in the future.  "Frills" versus "academics" is a false choice if you're trying to get people into competitive colleges. 

I was not a great performer, but I sang at Renaissance, and it pushed me in a way that other courses didn't.  Physics was easy for me, but MSVA was hard.  That led me to sing in college, where I wound up running a large student organization.  That experience was something I talked about a lot in interviews coming out of law school.  And I still sing for fun in a community choir today.  This is the wrong thing to do on many levels.

2014-08-20 14:34

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.. Thanks