Petition against the legislation in KZN

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition against the legislation in KZN.

2015-01-19 08:37

Come on and try and take my animals I bite

2015-01-19 08:39

This auses no harm at all to anything! It is also an income for many many people! Thought we sapposed to creat jobs etc...?
BennaP

#53 o wow.

2015-01-19 08:44

What nonsense is this? There is thousands apon thousands of feral cats that are not indigenous to ouer country but nothing is being done about that cause a kitty cat is cute or whatever rubbish reason there is not to govern or ban cat species. But yes. Target the smaller groups you will. Bullying by the nature conservation thats all. Eni way. This is preposterous in my eyes. This cant pass as law.

2015-01-19 09:02

Please don't murder our pets, family, hobby, and livelihood!

2015-01-19 09:07

I don't believe that this is needed. There has been no problem with majority of these animals. There are people who look after and rehabilitate alot of these creatures for no prophit. All that this will be doing will be adding unnecisary paper work, expenses and a waste of time for those that are actually doing good for and helping these creatures.

2015-01-19 09:13

This is wrong what their trying to do to pet owners

2015-01-19 09:14

It is a sad that the bureaucracy is failing so badly in this country. Perhaps more effort should be put toward keeping homes and businesses with water, electricity and basic infrastructure before creating laws to create more criminals when we can't even protect our citizens against serious crimes like murder and rape.

2015-01-19 09:24

This is absurd..then they the people that have goats sheepand cattle in the rural areas mist get permits for that.
Job Creater.

#59 If you are going to put something in place, make sure it is needed and that you arent being stupid.

2015-01-19 09:29

My boyfriend and I have just spent all we have on setting up our snake breeding business. Where are we supposed to get this money from for the permits? And how exactly has putting in all these redundant and stupid permits helped anything in the past?? I can understand needing a permit to sell dangerous animals but not for owning them. Its pathetic enough to need a permit for something that isnt even a problem. But seriously, how do you think this is going to be helping all those small business owners in this field that are actually providing something for this economy??? I was going through the process of interviewing care takers for our collection and i would have needed three extra staff members to help out until our expansion next year. If this is passed then it looks like we wont be able to afford these staff or expand to our bigger location and bring on another 5 members. But hey, I guess you dont like the wierd stuff so why should anyone else be allowed to???

Confused citizen

2015-01-19 09:30

I would like to see the reasoning behind the ban on an indigenous species such as Hemidactylus mabouia, which, although globally invasive, is historically native to Kwazulu Natal. (Powell R., Crombie R. I., Boos H. E. A. (1998). Hemidactylus mabouia. Catalogue of American Amphibians and Reptiles 674: 1–11)

I do not disagree with the concept of the law, however I do not think that it should be implemented in its current form.

Westley Price

#61 Losing an Opportunity

2015-01-19 09:38

Getting rid of all these commonplace species is the worst thing you could possibly do. NatCon is missing out on an opportunity to make some extra money. If you were to introduce and enforce a viable permit system where all these species would be controlled and charge a permit fee, NatCon could make some decent money on the side which could be used for real conservation work. 

I would guess that there are literally tens of throusands of Corn Snakes in KZN. If you make them all illegal and give fines and penalties to those who keep Corns, I bet you thousands of keepers would simply release their pets into the wild, defeating you entire purpose. 

I would suggest bringing in a similar system to the Western Cape where a handful of species are "black listed" which are proven to be invasive and simply issue permits for all other exotics as well as indigenous. 

2015-01-19 09:39

This is a stupid law
Pissed and Dangerous.

2015-01-19 09:42

If you want my animals then you can come and take them. But, like you have made this unfair I will make it unfair. Come fetch my snakes, but come do it with your bare hands. My animals have a right to fight for themselves, just try pass this and see if you will be able to reinforce it. 

2015-01-19 09:47

Why is the government so cocerned about keeping exotic pets but less concerned about preserving our country & it's beautiful animals for the future generation. Concentrate on what is reallyimportant please!!!

2015-01-19 09:52

Save the hobby

2015-01-19 09:55

These people are crazy, they cannot even protect South African wildlife, how will they control this. Stop them now.

2015-01-19 10:07

This  is absolutely ridiculous!

2015-01-19 10:11

This law needs to be reassessed. Many private people, petshops and companies will experience significant financial loss due to this law.

2015-01-19 10:41

Ds regtag belaglik die dat hul permite wil he vr die alian tarantulas en reptiele. Ek verstaan die venoumus slange maar come on. Pleks moet mense permite kry vr di brakke wat mens so waker blaf en kate wat kom pla in huise. Focua eerder op belaglike e toll en moord en los die exotics uit.

2015-01-19 11:04

The species subject to the new restrictions are unlikely to cause harm to the local wildlife population, provide people in your area with business and employment, and are family pets for many citizens.

2015-01-19 11:59

This is not the right way to go about this... I have furry and scaley pets and I love them all. You have no right to take away my pets. I understand why you need permits for cirtain animals, but come on, try rub those two braincells together and generate a logical thought about this please. I wont get rid of my babies and I wont let you take them either.

2015-01-19 12:15

I understand requiring permits for keeping these animals (we are required this in our Province), but to completely ban these animals goes beyond comprehension. What will happen to those specimens already in collections? This will result in bigger issues if people are forced to give up their beloved animals.
Trev

#73 Corn Snakes

2015-01-19 12:23

The placing of Corn Snakes in Cat 3 of the Alien Invasive Species List is both ridiculous. The draft list that was brought out in February 2014 made absolutely no mention of corn snakes and including the subsequent meeting in early March no mention was made of corn snakes being included on the list. Suddenly when the list was signed, Corn Snakes appeared in Category 3.  This was done without public consultation which is one of NEMBA’s stipulations.  The way in which corn snakes were added to the list appears very underhanded and sneaky.  Corn snakes have been kept and bred in this country for over 40 years.  They are bred in large numbers and is the most popular beginners snakes, due to their many different colour and pattern morphs.  Nowhere have Corn Snakes established themselves in South Africa in all this time.  There are literally thousands of them in captivity in South Africa and are a source of income for many people.  It is a favourite in most pet shops. his is a ridiculous petition! There are other things that the government should be doing, more important things! People in reptile hobby need to stand together to show our opposition to regulations that are brought in without public consultation and participation.

2015-01-19 12:30

Unnecessary, really..
G vol vir SA

2015-01-19 12:51

Hoekom kry daai onwettige immigrante nie ook permitte nie (hulle moet "geban" word), hulle rig baie meer skade aan ons land aan as onskuldige diere, die budget vir die "partys" is nie voldoende nie nou kyk hulle waar hulle nog geld kan invorder want die e toll sisteem werk nie . Ons het rerige probleme in SA.  Hoekom verwyder hulle nie die klomp wat so by die robotte staan en bedel en mense se ruite uitslaan en besteel nie, want dis moeite en hulle kry nie geld daaruit nie.

Ek sal my diere hou , ek werk hard daarvoor om hulle te versorg staan nie en bedel vir geld.