Cudworth Unites

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Cudworth Unites.

2015-05-29 09:03

Carrs Lane home owner

2015-05-29 09:05

Property owner Carrs Lane.

2015-05-29 11:23

I live next to the field at the top of newland avenue the traffic will be
bad also the wildlife will be affected I have hedgehogs pheasant
not enough schools or doctors we will have no countryside left

2015-05-29 15:26

I'm a Cudworth lad, living at home with parents. The proposals look good to me, I plan to buy won if it happens.

2015-05-29 16:17

Because I agree with the reasons stated

#56 Re: 54

2015-05-29 16:47

#54: -  

If you are going to buy in this area why haven't you bought one of the houses so far?  The houses in Newland that have been up for sale and not sold are priced way lower than these will be abnd aren't build on land riddled with faults and didn't destroy natural habitat to be there.

2015-05-30 20:25

I have great concerns that more housing will put great pressure on Cudworth community. Doctors are already stretched, dentists not taking any new patients, schools with rising numbers of pupils in classes, Barnsley hospital being told to make cuts, as are the local councils, so building 600 plus houses can only exasperate an already growing problem.

2015-05-30 20:40

I am fed up of new houses being built on greenbelt land in my village, Cudworth. Why should our village lose its countryside to supply houses for people who do not even come from the area?

2015-05-31 18:35

Because there is not enough schools and other facilitys to cover amount of house's you are building. And you are taking more of our country side away
A member of the enslaved generation.

#60 Re: Re: 54

2015-06-01 02:42

#56: - Re: 54 

Increased housing supply, if provided, will push down prices locally and make housing more affordable for the young and old alike locally.

The median wage of an employed young person in their late twenties in Barnsley is some £15k (and a third are not economicaly active).  At a generous ratio of three times earnings an employed young person wanting to buy an average house in an average area and subsequently raise a family could perhaps afford to pay £45k for a home in Barnsley, if willing to go into great debt to purchase one.

Tax credits would be required for the person to raise a family in said home, as their meagre wages would barely cover the mortgage on said home, let alone the cost of bringing up a child.  Taxes will have to rise elsewhere in the economy to subsidise a young person willing to take on such a large debt for a home if they choose to start a family down the line (by subsidising the cost of having a child, our society allows people to spend more on housing, so were it not for such subsidy, housing would have to fall in price and become even cheaper).  Young people face additional income taxes (NEST pension payments to make up the previous generations shortfall) over the coming years, above and beyond that paid by people over the previous decade, and many now have to pay monies towards debts accrued in the course of their education as well.

Thus a young person wishing to buy a home in the deprived and low paid region we know as Barnsley and the villages surrounding it, would be wise to pay well under £45k. Especially when we consider that interest rates can't really go any lower and are most certain to increase in due course, pushing up mortgage costs and pushing down the cost of housing in due course.

When we consider that an increasing proportion of local taxes are being diverted to pensions of previous workers for BMBC, before we even provide statutory services locally, we also have to wonder how services will be provided in the coming years/decades.  New houses at least increase income for the council in the form of council tax, and help to sustain local services, which are facing a triple whammy of poverty among the working young (and inability to pay), reduced grants from central government, and legally protected discounts and subsidy for pensioners.

That said, these houses need not be purchased by young people, and it is quite likely they will not be purchased by young people.  Most people entering the rigged housing market today are forced into the PRS.  Their rent is artificially inflated by various rental subsidies and planning restrictions, that restrict the supply of housing whilst increasing the amount of money chasing said housing.  People renting privately get no tax breaks and must pay rent out of earned income taxed at source.

The artificially high rents however, can be used as a income stream for buy to let landlords, who do receive tax breaks when it comes to mortgage interest, and landlords can leverage themselves against this income stream, thus using the income stream of people forced to pay over the odds to rent privately, to their benefit.

In effect, young people are forced to pay money to a class of people who can leverage themselves against said money the young people are forced to pay.  Thus young people are forced to compete in a highly unequal system, whereby they are effectively pricing themselves out, by being forced to provide landlords an income stream, that landlords can leverage themsleves against, to outbid young people.  To add insult to injury, the landlord is able to receive tax breaks upon the mortgage interest, and deduct various other expenses.  Property need not be held in this country and can be owned via shell companies in offshore tax havens, allowing large landlords to extract money from the local area indeifnitely and without paying much, if any tax on their profits.

We essentially have a system of feudalism in operation.

Whilst I am not against house building per se, it seems pointless building homes, if (figuratively speaking) they are to be the noose used to hang our up and coming (or should that be down and out?) generations, due to the highly inequitable system of property ownership, planning restrictions, rental + mortgage subsidies and the resultant speculation in place in the UK at this current moment in time.

That said.  By the time these houses have been built, interest rates may have begun to rise, triggering a property price crash, and house prices could easily be falling towards an affordable level for our children, siblings etc.

Oh how I wish to be in the enviable position of being able to oppose shelter for others, as it might depress the value of my own property.

You have to wonder if food would taste better, if you were to eat it in front of a homeless person, that you were able to deny access to a foodbank and prohibit from growing his own food, to ensure he was starving.  Peace and love and dreams of a better future where I could have a slum to call me own.

#61 Re: Re: All for it.

2015-06-01 06:53

#21: Jon - Re: All for it. 

I do live in cudworth but can't get a decent property in the village. I don't see the overcrowding everyone is talking about, and I do simpathise if you live nearby. What you have to realise is Barnsley is about 70% green belt, we have to chip away somewhere.  

I agree that the Local Authority are crooks by the way, the LDF consultation was a total farse, I can guarantee that the Local Authority are going for profitability over anything else.

They have retained little snipits of land all over the place from building bypasses and schools and are selling to developers.

New schools have been built in green belt and propasals where pushed through as a greater public need. Shafton ALC for example. Combine two schools then flog the land off to developers at a huge gain to the Local Authority.

I am fully aware of the problems, but we need houses, not just for myself, but for our offspring. Cudworth was only a handfull of houses 150 years ago, the house that you probably live in May only have been built in the last 1/4 of a century it didn't just appear. We have to grow.

People complain that our town is failing, well I am not surprised, more houses means more demand for our local town and village's amenities, creating more business and more prosperity for those who live in it.

Good luck with your battle Jon, but it is all but lost before you start.

#62 Re:

2015-06-01 06:56

#17: -  

They are Priory is about to be developed, soon to follow Willowgarth.

2015-06-01 15:46

How can a building contractor possibly think that an extra 1000+ journeys a day up and down carrs lane is going to be possibly?!

1 house was built last year and it caused crazy disruption, so what kind of problems are 315 houses going to cause??

Also, there is a historical landmark on the plot of land.. I think that the listings agency is going to have a problem with it being removed..

Research first, Barratts..

#64 Re:

2015-06-01 15:47

#54: -  

One*

Plenty of houses already available that are significantly cheaper than these will be..

#65 Re: Re: Re: All for it.

2015-06-01 15:53

#61: - Re: Re: All for it. 

But growing isn't a good idea all of the time.. carrs lane is already torn to pieces from the traffic thats been up and down it over the last 15 years.. increasing that traffic is going to do nothing for the roads.

Imagine if an extra 315 cars (minimum) try to get out at the same time.. it will be chaos!!

Barratt's response was "wwell go out the other way, through birkwood avenue". Anyone local to the area will know that carrs lane is the only way in or out down there. The developers haven't even researched the area!! Theres even a listed property on the land..

Hardly a lost battle...

newland ave home owner

2015-06-02 13:23

I understand there is a demand for houses and as much as I dont want the land to be built on, I think if they did go ahead, a different access street is needed, possibly from the main road??? Does anyone know if they have considered this??? (I couldnt make the meeting)

All the way up Cudworth there are many turn offs to different housing estates. These houses need that too. Newland Ave is already a long street without adding more houses. And the traffic it will cause will be a nightmare! 

2015-06-02 14:24

Me and my husband live on Newtown Ave and it's a lovely area. This will be spoilt by building all these new houses. We have already plenty of houses in our area for sale.Like many others have commented schools,doctors,dentist,traffic an issue. It will be chaos.I do understand the need for new builds but in the right area where needed.There's plenty of land on bypass which could accomadate this type of build which is near a few different schools,shopping areas and places for work.

2015-06-02 14:35

My wife and I live on Newton Ave and have enjoyed living in this area as the people are lovely and it's a great place to live. Building all these new homes will definitely spoil this great place due to too many homes in this area. I agree with all other comments about schools,dentist,docs and traffic. Don't think this project as been thought out properly. There's plenty of other places to build new homes like bypass down park springs.

2015-06-03 07:15

This will ruin our community and be a blot on the landscape

#70 Re: Re: Re: Re: All for it.

2015-06-03 22:01

#65: - Re: Re: Re: All for it. 

There is no way they will be allowed to access the site down Carrs lane it is not wide enough and the footpaths are sub-standard.

For a new estate you would require a road width of 7.3m and a footpath of 2m on both sides.

Access will be via Newland Avenue.

2015-06-05 11:08

People who live in surrounding villages such as Grimey and Lundwood might want to move to Cudworth as its nice plus local shops will be happy. Im forrit.

2015-06-05 18:05

There are so many areas of wasteland that would be more suitable to this development without destroying this beautiful area. In addition, has anyone thought of the traffic implications when the weather turns nasty? Residents at the bottom of Carrs Lane already struggle to climb the hill in icy/snow conditions. An additional sprawling estate would have major congestion issues.  The road at the top of Carrs Lane and Newtown areas are far too narrow to cope with any additional traffic.

2015-06-05 18:44

I have lived on Newland Avenue all my life, and always thought they would build on this land. My main concern is the increased volume of traffic on both Carrs Lane and Newland Avenue, which would be dangerous. We will also have to cope with at least 9 years of work traffic and site muck that goes with it.

2015-06-05 21:16

If this is the land that they were planning to build the school on then it's going to be really near the HS2.  I wouldn't buy a house there for love nor money.  I bet they didn't have any idea about that when the plans mentioned by Sir Steve Houghton were drawn up 25 years ago!  Lunn Road is going to be a rat race. Not a good idea at all. 

#75 Re:

2015-06-13 19:16

#58: -  

It's not in the green belt!