#Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition #Black Arts Matter - Save The Drum.

2016-04-04 10:17

There are not many Black & ethnic community centres if if the drum goes it will further deprive an already deprived community

2016-04-04 11:41

It's the only diverse resource that I know of in Birmingham.

2016-04-04 12:00

The Drum is a special place as anyone who has visited it will know. They are part of the wide fabric of cultural plurality we need in this diverse city. Artists & performers have lost a space. Losing these hard-earned venues is a tragedy & affects whole communities. When we stop seeing Art from certain underrepresented groups we lose the ability to hear different voices & to engage in lifelong learning. It is also a loss to the reasons why people want to live & work in Birmingham. This is a form of
Cultural hegemony where everything goes elsewhere ( usually to London) & we need to defend this enterprise as we would the loss of a factory or industry. Let's stand together & stop this happening. We can . We just need to believe we can.

2016-04-04 12:15

Because the drum is important to our community and I don't want to see it go, it's a good place for children to go to in the holidays, great for parties and some where to go.

2016-04-04 12:19

We need to as far as possible ....keep the drum... As this one the regular cultural & media base...in Birmingham.

2016-04-04 14:22

I have attended many events at the Drum. I hope to be able to attend many more in the future. This is going to be a great loss to the area and community.

2016-04-04 15:19

Please do not close such an asking community based project. This place saved me in a time I didn't know where to turn and is very close to my heart

2016-04-04 16:26

The Drum Arts Centre has been a big part of my life as a member of the black community and as a performing artist along with countless other artists and aspiring artists of all ages, disciplines and abilities for many years. It has been a significant venue for many to meet up and inspire diverse and grass roots ideas for public production. The Drum has supported and embraced the provision of dedicated creative spaces for local cultural artistic education, development and delivery of shows to audiences from near and far and has also hosted multiple shows of varied ethnic genres from international and local performers for years. I am stunned by the news of The Drums closure and the huge effect this closure will have to many not to mention the dedicated staff. Truly sad.

2016-04-04 16:34

Our history, culture, style and sass define us as unique. The Drum has provided opportunities to share who we are; our songs,our plays , our sound with each other and many others.
We NEED to keep The Drum open. We NEED this dedicated venue to stay open.

2016-04-04 17:13

I find it deeply disturbing that we are only finding out just now that we are about to lose the Drum as it goes into Liquidation.

Is it too late for anything to be done at such short notice?

With such a serious financial situation, the public ought to have been given an opportunity to do something about it, if and where possible

At liquidation stage, is it too late? 

2016-04-04 17:15

Other than this petition, what else can we do to prevent the closure of the Drum?

2016-04-04 17:53

The Drum has for years showed it's commitment to our communities in Arts, Music, Music Media and Educational Lifelong Learning. It is a heartfelt concern to our area, region and extended communities that again something or a place of great value to our Black and Cultural heritage is again at a scrutiny point of being dismantled and leaving our Black Community with no longer little but NO growth platform for us and our generation behind us.

I am appalled that the Drum has come to this stage and yet again us having to fight for the equilibrium that 'Black Arts Matter' are we not simply part of the community especially under 'Equality'!

2016-04-04 18:15

A venue which has been at the heart of Black/Ethnic Arts ever since I can remember. No other venue fully caters for these needs would be a great loss to the community in general.

2016-04-04 18:27

It is essential to the community. It has provided people especially those less fortunate an opportunity to get involved & to have a reason to be invested in their surroundings. It has played host to numerous celebrities, Actors, Musicians etc... The 'Drum' has put Brum on the map. (Cutting edge but with a family friendly appeal)

2016-04-04 19:24

I think if the Drum stays it will need new management to run it like a business. The days of the council just handing over money are over. It will need to make money and pay its own bills, put on event's that people what to see and that are promoted and advertised properly. Just a few weeks just ago they had on a international artist hardly anybody knew about it due to the lack of proper marketing and have another this Saturday with very poor marketing and very very poor promotion = poor ticket sales

2016-04-04 19:58

Because black people need and want this service, were is the help to keep it going. We need professional assistance so we can continue to enjoy the holistic black experience.

2016-04-04 20:04

I signed this to keep the drum open its important that there is somewhere to find out about black history & culture

2016-04-04 20:05

Having grown up in Aston, I know how vital this place is and how rare it is too in such a economically deprived area. It's hugely important that it stays open and continues to offer a space for black arts to thrive.

2016-04-04 20:11

The drum is a excellent place for events for the community it should never be closed

2016-04-04 20:59

I feel black arts is poorly represented in arts and this venue provided exactly this element but also encouraged those from ethnic minorities to have a creative voice

2016-04-04 21:10

Please offer your support to save The Drum.

2016-04-04 21:34

I was a regular attender of the Drum when in the Midlands, it was important to me as a young person, and our community in particular our youth need a safe place to develop, Without this, there will be more lives lost !

2016-04-04 22:37

It is vital to keep community arts events in place to support and provide a service to the diverse community of the West Midlands.

2016-04-04 23:04

It is important that we support each other just as the drum has supported many people over the years. I hope that in signing this petition the desired results from those requesting signatures will be granted.

2016-04-05 00:32

I have attended numerous musical and cultural events at the Drum and am devastated to learn that it is threatened with closure. It has a unique role in Brum and needs to be cherished.