Nemesia Ladies Residence: 'Perpetuating rape culture'

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Nemesia Ladies Residence: 'Perpetuating rape culture'.

2016-08-30 10:28

Nemesia was nog altyd bekend daarvoor om op te staan vir individualiteit, diversiteit en ja, selfs om reëls so nou en dan te bevraagteken. Maar hierdie beleid wys dit ongelukkig nie. It is a pity that such short sightedness has taken place - this "vote for a new policy" does not reflect the progressive nature that is Nemesia. Ons kan die koshuis help, nie as "old girls" wat suur is of agter die klip is nie, maar as "old girls" wat die gange gestap het en weet waar regte waardigheid lê.

2016-08-30 10:42

I signed the petition not necessarily in favour of disallowing men to sleep over but because I believe Nemesia as a residence (current and former residents) ought to decide over this matter in conversation with the university. If it is at all a proper institution, current members ought to be in conversation with the so called 'old girls' while the current house ought to have a voice in this, including proper debate. Was there proper debate or did the house committee simply introduce legislation based on advice from outsiders?

2016-08-30 12:26

Because I believe that every individual has a right to safe and secure accommodation at a University Res.

2016-08-30 12:41

I dont think men should sleep over! I do think that they can visit but for the safety of the other girls its a no!

2016-08-30 14:09

My concern is that most of the rooms have two girls staying in them. It's all great if you have a single room but what if your roommate doean't agree? The other residences they refer to where everyone stays mixed are single room hostels.....

2016-08-31 05:09

My feeling is that I worry about the girl sharing a room with a strange guy, as he would now be sleeping only a few metres away from her. The reality is she is sharing a room with her roommate and therefore has no choice but to now except it. Waking up in the morning with your PJ's or towel around you walking from the bathroom. All of a sudden you don't have that freedom anymore. I was a HK at Nemesis and I lived in res for 3 years. It was the best 3 years of my life. My responsibility as a HK was to keep the girls safe and stand up for all girls rights in the res. I feel saddened by the HK 's decision and feel that they haven't only let the girls down, but all HK's of the past that contributed to building a legacy of which we could be proud of. One of my fondest memories was sitting up till late talking to my friends in the "koffie kroeg" not caring what we looked like, or what we were wearing in the mornings just having a laugh about what we had got up to the previous night. Nemesia was now our home, coming from Durban I had no where else to go, Nemesia was my house for the next 3 years of my life, and I want to feel like I'm in my own house by not having to be afraid to walk out of a bathroom with a towel around me and bumping into some strange guy. Not to discriminate this rule should apply for all sexes. That means no girls to sleep over either, gay or straight. Keep it simple and safe if you live there you can stay there. X

2016-08-31 05:11

Backing you ladies 100%!!
Can't even begin to see how the new policy is supposed to prevent rape, abuse etc..
Take ALL voices into consideration, not just majority.
And pray for the majority..

2016-08-31 06:39

Absolutely ridiculous... what happened to your value system, Nemesia? So very disappointed in your way of thinking that 'sleeping over will minimize the current rape culture' - surely you haven't thought of the other problems that might arise due to this policy, eg. unwanted pregnancies!! Will definitely not send my daughter there (if i were to have one) or recommend anyone send theirs there in future.

2016-08-31 07:18

Female residences need to be safe for all, and some people may bring unsafe characters into the institution jeopardizing the rest of the residences safety. This is one place I felt completely safe as a student knowing that as a young person adjusting to this new life of freedom still had some rules and protection.

2016-08-31 13:24

It is not in the best interest of the girls and is dangerous.

2016-09-12 21:44

Please join the discussion on Thursday 15th September. Voice your opinion. 

2016-09-25 10:37

I agree with it.