saving-the-bedmond-lane-wildlife-meadow

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition saving-the-bedmond-lane-wildlife-meadow.

2014-07-05 16:02

We simply must not lose this lovely wildlife meadow to grazing horses. It is a unique amenity for , not just the local community, but the whole of St Albans and district.

2014-07-05 16:39

Save our green belt and preserve our environment.

2014-07-05 17:52

I am horrified at the suggesstion of clearing the Bedmond lane wild life meadow. This is a deceitful way of getting permission to build houses in time. What a ridiculous cover up to say it is needed for horse grazing.
Yours with horror at such underhand ways,
Alison veness

2014-07-06 05:41

Every effort should be made to stop the erosion of Valuable Green Belt land around our lovely City

#5 Bedmond Lane Meadow

2014-07-06 10:15

We have lived adjacent to this site since 1976. Our children grew up playing there and so has our grandchild. It would be a tragic loss to all of St Albans if it was fenced off to graze horses. If that permission is granted, then in two years the owners can apply for full building permission. The site should be redesignated as a Site of Special Scientific interest due to the variety of wild flowers, including orchids, and the butterflies they attract.

#6 Bedmond Lane Meadow

2014-07-06 11:41

We have lived over the road from this site since 1982 and our children spent much of their childhood exploring and playing there with their friends. Changing its use to grazing land would just be the first step towards building development in the future and I support all efforts to prevent this happening.

2014-07-06 18:11

A forerunner to creating more housing in an area which does not have the infrastructure (schools, roads) to cope following the King Harry development.

2014-07-06 19:17

I've also written to Andy Neidhardt to object to the planning application:

Dear Andy,

Re Planning application 5/2014/1394

The open greenery between Mayne Avenue and Bedmond Lane in St Albans is an asset for all who live near, drive past and use it. I’m so very pleased that the owners, Banner Homes, have allowed common access to it for all these years.

But now I learn that the owners seek to build a fence around it - an ugly addition to our environment.  It’s my belief that they seek to fence it off, not because they’ve suddenly acquired a love of horses and need to put them out to pasture, but because they wish to block it from being added to the District Community Asset Register. I understand their motivation. It’s their land and presumably they bought it with the intention of trying to get planning permission in the future; being on the asset register could scupper that.

However, I ask that the council rejects the planning application to turn the land from ‘agricultural’ to ‘the keeping of horses’ in order to maintain the local aesthetics. I reiterate that a fence would be an ugly addition to our environment.

On a final note, I would love the Verulam Residents Association – of which I am a member - to find a way to buy the land (through grants etc). Whilst there will be those who scoff at the idea, the land doesn’t have planning permission and there’s no guarantee that it ever will. This means it’s not necessarily worth hundreds of thousands of pounds or millions.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Chivers

2014-07-08 06:31

We don't need to build everywhere !!

2014-07-08 13:32

Bedmond Lane Field, through neglect by various owners, has become an area filled with flora and fauna and frequented by walkers and local residents
with their dogs.Only because of it being declared an asset of community value under the Localism Act has the owners taken any interest.

2014-07-08 16:32

This should be kept as a wildlife sanctuary and public amenity as it is such a small field and would be quite unsafe for horses in an otherwise busy area.

2014-07-08 21:21

I am horrified to even have to protest against this absurdity! People move especially to this residential area due to the nature and calamity, it will be grieving to see this natural privelage taken away from St Albans

2014-07-09 11:57

This should not happen.

2014-07-09 16:01

Is this yet another example of a large, faceless housing company using stealth tactics to get round legislation designed to protect community assets? All these companies are interested in is profit and hang the consequences. There is no consideration of the impact on the local community or local flora and fauna nor the long term, detrimental effect on the environment of concreting over more countryside.

2014-07-13 19:01

We spent many years living on the Verulam estate
and think it would be a shame to lose this open space.

2014-07-15 19:52

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/

has anyone contacted the above organisation for support and advice? Also, they are running a meadow flower count project (registration closes 30 July) that may help the cause.

All meadows are vital to life and that includes farming. Without biodiversity and the protection of pollinating insects, our planet is essentially doomed.

I have also sent a message to HRH Prince of Wales project; http://coronationmeadows.org.uk/

Please, I urge everyone to lobby as many organisations as possible, this petition is not enough on it's own!

2014-07-18 03:55

...this Government has done enough damage to this country! For goodness sake don't let them devastate this part of the world!

2014-07-20 16:57

Disaster to a lovely walk.

2014-07-20 17:11

This is a natural beauty site that should be preserved for the enjoyment of the local population. This is an area of peace in busy St Albans.

2014-07-23 19:19

I'm not too fussed about the horses, but it does open the gates to further (housing) applications

2014-07-24 12:10

I am very concerned about the ongoing attempts to build on any and every green space in St.Albans.We have already lost so much, there has to be a limit as to how much land can be developed in any area of UK. Our roads are full, likewise our extended trains/likewise schools etc. Plus we need the green spaces to replenish the air degraded by pollution!We need to keep the meadow and its no doubt unique plant/wildlife - we NEED it - not just want it!

2014-07-25 19:35

The Bedmond Lane Meadow is a haven for wildlife which provides for the enjoyment of many, not just in the meadow itself but over a much wider area. A wide range of bird species supported by the meadow visit many of the local gardens and provide joy on a daily basis. Much of this would be lost for the benefit of just a very small minority if it is converted to horse pasture.

2014-07-25 19:49

If Bedmond Lane Meadow is allowed to be used for horse grazing a haven for wildlife will be lost with a significant impact on the local community.

Unsightly fencing will replace the natural hedges which have grown up over the years and nest sites for many species of birds and small mammals will disappear. Local residents who currently enjoy seeing these species will be impoverished by the inevitable loss of wildlife which would occur if the meadow became horse grazing pasture.

2014-07-28 17:27

The proposed use would totally destroy its current use, which has been used for many years including its general character
Also don't understand how horses could survive without facilities ie water,bedding and general keep

#25 mrs susie bee

2014-08-05 18:14

The prospect of masses of ugly fencing being put into a wildlife area fills me with horror.  The field proposed to be used for horse grazing is obviously a ploy to potential house development. The land at present is beautiful, and a calm environment for nature to enjoy what nature does.  To develop this land for anything other than nature is  totally inappropriate for the area.  If the horses are put there for grazing, how long before some vandals appear to set them free? There is no valid reason to put horses on Bedmond Lane/Mayne Avenue other than to rile the community that uses the land.  There will be so much fencing, it will be almost impossibe to find the horses as there is a footpath between the two roads, which will have to be fenced off - unless of course the footpath will be closed for the wretched horses.  Horses can jump - will the neigh(pardon the pun)hood be plagued by horses trampling gardens and destroying people's possessions,