Keep the obligation to provide allotments for those who need them

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep the obligation to provide allotments for those who need them.

Freedom

2011-05-06 02:40

Everyone has a right to green space and a right to grow their own food. Beware the food police are coming...

2011-05-06 14:39

I ,as secretary, CAPA, Cholsey allotments protection association, have been asked to sign on behalf of all our members,approximately forty and increasing all the time. We are all in favour of the petition as we had to fight our Parish Council to keep our allotments from being sold as building land in 2003/4, luckily we succeeded and are determined to keep the allotments for posterity. The CAPA association was formed for this reason and we will keep it going as long as we are able. Regards, Pam Kendall

2011-05-07 01:40

This goverbent needs reigning in the working man means nothing to them

2011-05-07 23:28

Don't really understand why the Govt should wish to do this, there are so many issues NEED sorting out, and this doesn't, does it?

2011-05-08 12:22

Not only do we need to keep existing allotments but we need more of them,in our area most people on the waiting list will be dead before they get one.

2011-05-08 16:45

OMG - fancy even contemplating risking the protection of allotment land at a time when food prices are rising and more and more westerners are realising the significance of localised food production. Allotments are such a wonderfully English way of encouraging and supporting local community effort, giving and engagaging - values lost on our ruthless government I fear.

2011-05-08 21:56

The ruling class took away common land from the people dont let them take it all .

2011-05-10 09:08

we need to allow people to grow their own food, each person should be able to have a piece of land to farm. read the book Anastasia, from the ringing cedars of Russia. many people in Russia were given land to grow their own food, and this helped them avoid starvation. With food prices going up at rapid rates, each of us needs to learn to grow our own.
Trugman

#34 Save out allotments

2011-05-10 09:46

Frankly this is the most ridiculous sthing I have heard from this new government. Are they not aware that there is a groundswell of people who are turning back to "Grow Your Own"???? I am in the Garden Industry and have been for 30 years now and even The Garden STore (Wyevale to us) and other smaller garden centre groups are (for the time being) providing allotments for their customers on unused ground. Get in line Cameron?Clegg and make sure that our local authorities still provide this important public resourse - from which they, of course, make money!

2011-05-12 16:08

Allotments are a part of life in this country. They provide food, assist with well-being, and keep our honey-bees fed. We need more allotments, not less.

2011-05-22 04:48

An allotment is a small door to the earth from which we've distanced ourselves.

#37 Re:

2011-05-31 17:42

grumpy

2011-05-31 17:50

It is very importment allotments are kept and increased as the population grows. town councels are the worst at trying to dispose of them for housing which has happened in Swindon

2011-05-31 18:41

The importance of allotments is immeasurable. It is a means for people to keep fit, to enable them to interact with other people and it provides good,cheep,healthy food. THIS IS THE BIG SOCIETY. Or is it only big when Dave says so and it can save money

2011-06-06 10:49

an allotment is as much a social as growing environment and allows groups of people to share many things to that end they must be maintained it is so important to the british way of life keep up the fight

2011-06-06 23:29

What hasn't been emphasised, is if there is no legal obligation to provide allotments then existing allotments would also be under threat. The temptation to sell for development by cash strapped councils would probably be too great.

2011-06-11 11:29

Allotments are the way forward towards living more sustainably. We need to create more allotments and encourage everyone to grow their own food.
We need allotments.

2011-06-11 22:23

I am signing this petition for the many, many British friends I have. Removing the allotments will only make the poor even poorer and place more pressure on the councils - have they lost their 'thinking caps'? Short term profits more important than long term benefits? How very, very sad that the allotments are at risk.

#44 Re: Allotment takeover

2011-06-13 01:37

#9: hammy - Allotment takeover

Terrible state of affairs.  I can't believe it is happening. Absolutely appalling....

2011-07-06 18:43

Allotments contribute immeasurably to the physical and mental health and wellbeing of all those who participate. Here, people of all ages and from a diverse range of social and ethnic backgrounds have a rare chance to meet on genuinely equal terms. To jeopardize this would be unjustifiable.

2011-08-11 13:01

I have an allotment, the ground is Eastleigh borough
councilIs I have used it for 34 years I have never paid any
rent for it and I personally have never been given
permission to use it . Permission was given to an old man
to use it I helped him clear it . An housing association
are now trying to get me off, what can I do to stop them?

2011-10-05 18:53

Our privately owned allotment land is now up for sale. Leeds City Council were offered the first option to buy at least a year ago and did not. Offers close in two weeks so it maybe too late for us tomount any kind of campaign. If we had known about it earlier we might have saved it.
Botham

2013-04-03 23:48

The coalition wouldnt know the community value of allotments!So much for the big society!