Reinstate 1 yr Applied Ba ECCE @ Carlow IT for higher capitation

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Reinstate 1 yr Applied Ba ECCE @ Carlow IT for higher capitation.

Anonymous

2016-04-17 13:41

Some questions need to be answered by Government Departments with regard to this course-

1.Why was this course only given permission to run for two years -and at the end of those two years what audit did the concerned government dept.carry out to deem it unsuitable to continue on the higher capitation list, given that those who studied on it for the past two years are allowed claim higher capitation.

2. Carlow IT to my knowledge did not sign up students for this course in other counties but were looking at expressions of interest. There was sizeable interest- why, because the time frame and cost were achievable and it tapped into a vast amount of prior learning. Saying now, that it is on hold until there is standards set for Accreditation of Prior Learning is a bit late, given that this should have been set in place before any ECCE degrees were accredited( so really there is standards for APL).It is a bit like rolling out the extension to the ECCE scheme and then asking us months later to submit our availabilities.

3. Why did a personal letter from DCYA regarding this matter ,which had other recipients names included, appear on a closed social media Early Childhood educators group, posted by an administrator who among a core number of this group are vehemently opposed to this course.Who gave this person access to this letter??

2016-04-18 00:11

Because this course was deemed eligible for the higher capitation and now this eligibility is being revoked for no other reason than there is interest in rolling it out in other counties. This is grossly unfair and unacceptable. The criteria for eligibility of all courses should be available to ensure an open and transparent process and changes to these criteria should only occur through meaningful consultation and significant advance notice.

2016-04-18 06:54

I disagree that the level 7 in one academic yr reduces the quality content of the degree programme. I have a student in placement this yr, she previous qualified to level 6 through home study and had not yet worked as an early years educator. She undertook full time studies this yr to level 7 through the local I.T. Full time studies are 25hrs class time over the academic yr commencing mid sept and ending end of April, take out 7 wks holidays and exam leave this equates to 300 hrs class time, she has also undertaken 300 hrs placement times this I believe it is possible for an experienced early years educator who is working in the field and has a greater understanding of the childcare environs to achieve on a part time capacity along side work over a longer academic yr but not needing to roll into 2 yrs.
Rob

2016-04-18 07:10

I am in the early years profession with a level 7 degree in ECCE, although I completed my degree over 3 years I do believe working people Do not have the time to complete the work placement element because they are already working in the profession. I previously completed level 5 and 6 in childcare too and have many years experience in yhe profession, Sure why can't experience count as their placement, after all what you actually learn on a practical level while doing the job is is way more effective than anything that you learn while doing your degree. Your degrees and qualifications teach you the theories but it is our job as early years professional s to but those into practice , no matter if we got our degree in 1 year or 3 years it is still the same qualification, so the higher rate cap should apply, 

#30 Re: Re:

2016-04-18 16:03

#9: L Ni Flannagain - Re:  

It does not undermine the degree at all. You will know that if you left after yr 1 you would have no cert. Yr 2 fetac level 6, yr 3 fetac level 7 and finally for the few who complete yr 4 fetac level 8. How does offering a fetac level 7 to those with the level 6 who under one additional yr of study inclusive of placement hours in their paid work undermine the degree you did I fail to see your side. 

2016-04-18 17:06

I am a newly qualified Childcare Practioner & would like the opportunity to persue a degree in Early Childhood Care & Education

2016-04-19 16:55

It has been offered by Carlow IT and then taken away with no explanation why, it was good enough for the last two years what has changed,

2016-04-22 07:34

I am working in childcare for 20 yrs in my early 50s I feel very strongly that we should not have to have a piece of paper with level 7/8 taking 3/4 years plus the cost to make us better childcare workers I have level 6 plus numerous courses and I believe noting compares to experience

2016-04-22 07:53

Childcare practitioners should not be punished for trying to up skill for better pay and conditions. Seems unfair last year level 7 was accepted for higher capitation

2016-04-23 16:13

Wanted to go for level 7 this year but it looks like it wont happen. Sad

2016-05-01 10:49

The interest in this degree was over whelming, it was removed with no consultation and no justification that this was in the best interests of childcare workers or the children they care for. Those against had a reason for being against and worked with the department to get this removed.
Mona

#37 Re:

2016-05-01 10:50

#27: -  

Well said, removed because it suited some people's self interest

#38 Re:

2016-05-01 10:53

#8: -  

How can  a degree be de-valued when someone who holds one and is against the re-instatement doesn't understand that she has just signed a petition for it to be re-instated. Looks like your "valued" degree didn't even teach you to read or understand content properly

#39 Re:

2016-05-01 10:55

#26: -  

Very true, questions that need to be answered, especially the collusion between other colleges, lecturers, Early Childhood representational groups and the Department and the slandering online of Carlow IT. I hope Carlow pursue this too as their name was dragged through the mud by some and they deserve to be taken to task about this

2016-05-09 15:18

Disgraceful the way this was to be offered and so many wanted to do it and then it was removed.

2016-05-09 15:24

If this goes ahead, you will get more people already working in the area, who have experience and a level 6, upgrading and staying in the sector. If this does not go ahead, many people will not be able to go back full time, part time over 3 years and will start leaving the sector and then you will have graduates with level 7 but no experience ....

2016-05-09 15:45

I signed it because we need recognition for all our hard work.

2016-05-09 17:49

I believe that most people who have worked in the sector for 10 + yrs have a excellent knowledge of how children learn . If people are willing to make a commitment to prove there knowledge in one yr the least the dept can do is acknowledge them

2016-05-10 18:15

Because i think the staff are not being considered at all with all the changes happening in childcare

#45 Re: Re:

2016-05-11 02:05

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2016-05-11 02:08

2016-05-19 09:36

I have worked in childcare for 11 years, I've level 6 and would like to see level 7 in Dundalk IT.

2016-05-25 18:23

Has it been reinstated, just seen post on facebook group saying it has been? :-)

L Ni Flannagain
The author of this petition

#49 Re:

2016-05-26 12:03

#48: -  

Yes, just awaiting final confirmation/details- will post as soon as they come in, thank you for your support

#50 Re: Re:

2016-05-26 14:37

#49: L Ni Flannagain - Re:  

This is great news for the sector :-)