Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079.

Lonlon

2012-10-22 16:58

i will support Filipino Sign Language..................
dud

#27 Re:

2012-10-22 17:25

#8: Anika -

what you are saying is like, "hey, Filipino shouldn't be taught in the schools, because its grammar is not formal."

take this example:

Filipino: "Mahirap ako kasi wala akong trabaho."
English: "Poor me because no me work." (that's a direct, word for word translation, and in your point of view, we could clearly say that Filipino grammar is wrong? No, absolutely not. The grammar is simply different.

Now, as hearing people, who are we to say that FSL does not follow a formal grammar? Can't it not be their grammar and not ours? Of course. In the same way that Filipino does not follow English grammar, FSL does not need to follow it either, and should not. The world is a place rich with language, and each one deserves respect. I think it is high time that the Filipino Deaf be able to decide for themselves in which language they wish to learn. Why force upon an entire group of people to learn using a signed system (SEE) that was developed by hearing people after the Milan Conference of 1880? If you would read about the oppressive history that led up to the emergence of SEE, perhaps you would understand this much better. 

I do sincerely hope that in the near future, we see FSL in the classroom being used by Deaf students and teachers alike.

More power :)

Drix

2012-10-22 17:34

This is way better than Cybercrime Law
Kyla

2012-10-22 17:38

Hope we support FSL the House Bill 6079.. to use our own FSL sign language..

#30 Re: Encourage with all Deaf pupils learn a FSL

2012-10-22 17:42

#23: DEAF, Inc. - president - Encourage with all Deaf pupils learn a FSL

Yes, Deaf pupils hard read your SEE as while you shall interpret SEE on how to explain deaf pupils raise understanding. SEE always delay time but better you can use FSL!! You can go volunteer at DEAF, Inc. training more sign language and provide for Deaf community, if you live in part of Negros Oriental and City of Dumaguete.  Go! Support Filipino Sign Language!!

#31 FSL

2012-10-23 02:04

I Love FSL

2012-10-23 09:36

Since we are talking about respect here is it respectful to mandate a law that forces the deaf community to use FSL as a medium of instruction? As stated in the HB 6079 Section 4 "use FSL as a medium of instruction in Deaf Education". Why cant we leave the options open? Leaving the options open is different from forcing SEE, FSL or Oralism for that matter :)

turbo

#33 Happy the FSL!

2012-10-23 10:10

I do wish deaf can/must learn the FSL and contirute to the world!
GP

#34 Re:

2012-10-23 10:13

#8: Anika -

Anika are you working with Deaf People?

#35 Re: Re:

2012-10-23 10:49

Joyce

#36 FSL, house bill 6079

2012-10-23 12:46

I really support HOUSE BILL 6079 and love Filipino Sign Language...
JaN

#37 HB 6079

2012-10-23 12:51

To spread this in the Philippines, and the house bill 6079 however, to help our Deaf community to support the FILIPINO SIGN LANGUAGE.
Juan Luna

#38 Re: Support Deaf People’s Right to their OWN Language!!!

2012-10-23 14:08

#4: Techie - Support Deaf People’s Right to their OWN Language!!!

With all due respect to your ideas miss, but I believe there are some things you have to think about!

You said...

.....Did they develop the needed competencies they need for higher education? Did they have greater opportunities for employment?

( Why should we blame it to SEE? There are several factors you have to consider in having greater opportunities for employment! - and SEE is not a major part of it... if you want more employment then ask the government to pass a bill that will increase more job opportunities for the Hearing Impaired people! (Hello! hearing people experience the same!! but do we blame language for not having job?? - that is not FAIR!!!) You are proposing a wrong medicine to a wrong illness causing it to be more severe!!

You said .....

.......insist signed English should be used in the education of Deaf children

( The purpose of Education is to create an impact to a child's life!! Excuse me miss Techie!! DO YOU HAVE RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING DEAF KIDS? ARE YOU A LISENCED SPED TEACHER???   Do you know the concept of Modeling and its impact to learning!!!   Bandura said that there should be a good model for learning to occur meaningfully, SEE can provide that model which FSL cant!! CAN YOU TEACH THE ENGLISH SUBJECT USING FILIPINO LANGUAGE? Of course not! Thus, we have to follow the rules....)

You said.....

.... Who has more right to find ways to help deaf children to have better future? Deaf people or hearing people?

(ARE YOU A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON????? WHO DRAFTED THE BILL IN THE FIRST PLACE, A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON!! THIS IS NOT A QUESTION OF BEING A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON!!!!!!!! THE MAIN THOUGHT STAYS ON THE IDEA OF YOUR INTENTION!!!!!!! IS IT JUST FOR FAME OR FOR GREATER GLORY OF OTHER SOCIAL CLASSES. ... NOT CONSIDERING THE IMPACT OF OTHER LANGUAGES INHIBIT YOU FROM ACHIEVING INCLUSION!!! EDUCATION SHOULD BE DIRECTED TOWARDS THIS MAIN GOAL.. INCLUSION..... BUT YOU ARE DOING IT IN AN OPPOSITE WAY :( )

you said .....

.... Deaf people want to learn how to write and read English, but they want to learn it in the context of their Deaf experience, using their Filipino Sign Language as primary language to communicate and learn in the classroom and everywhere else.

( Are you familiar with the term MODIFICATION OF PROGRAM??? What do you think of us, Sped teachers in the field, ignorant and do not consider others differences??? That is why we have flexible curriculum!!!! QUESTIONING MY MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IS QUESTIONING MY CAPACITY AS A TEACHER TO IMPART MY KNOWLEDGE!!!! IF YOU WANT, COME TO MY CLASS AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MY STUDENTS CREATE THEIR SONNETS AND HAIKUS !!! )

you said...

.... Deaf people who are isolated and discriminated by people who don’t believe in Deaf rights and by the system that only recognize hearing people’s rights.

( Dont you think you will be more discriminated if you are not fully equipped with the necessary LITERACY SKILLS NEEDED?? You are doing something that will make you more discriminated by the society!!!! People from different places, regardless of cultural background are trying to learn English because it it one to be considered necessary for globalization.... SHOULD YOU ALWAYS RELY TO YOUR INTERPRETER>????? )

you said..

....Who should we support? Deaf people who represents the Deaf community and are fighting for Deaf rights? Or hearing people and some deaf people who just don’t like FSL to be used in education??

(FALLACY!!! )

you said

our children to have a better future

.... Do you have a child????  IS he or she familiar and knowledgeable of the English language??? or only Filipino?? If both then dont deprive the students from learning both .....!!!!! Deaf people should also have the right to learn the CORRECT STRUCTURE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!! yOU have clearly stated THAT FSL HAS A DIFFERENT STRUCTURE ..... THEN IN CANT ADDRESS THE IDEA OF TEACHING ENGLISH BECAUSE ENGLISH IS ALSO DIFFERENT!!!!!

....... I am NOT against the FSL BILL... but there should be MODIFICATIONS!! particularly on the MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IN SCHOOLS!!!! Talk if you are really into the BASIC EDUCATION OF THESE CHILDREN>>>>> Kung KATULAD KITA na GURO sa ELEMENTARYA  eh dun ka magmaganda... salamat :)

Juan Luna

#39 Techie

2012-10-23 14:09

#4: Techie - Support Deaf People’s Right to their OWN Language!!!

With all due respect to your ideas miss, but I believe there are some things you have to think about!

You said...

.....Did they develop the needed competencies they need for higher education? Did they have greater opportunities for employment?

( Why should we blame it to SEE? There are several factors you have to consider in having greater opportunities for employment! - and SEE is not a major part of it... if you want more employment then ask the government to pass a bill that will increase more job opportunities for the Hearing Impaired people! (Hello! hearing people experience the same!! but do we blame language for not having job?? - that is not FAIR!!!) You are proposing a wrong medicine to a wrong illness causing it to be more severe!!

You said .....

.......insist signed English should be used in the education of Deaf children

( The purpose of Education is to create an impact to a child's life!! Excuse me miss Techie!! DO YOU HAVE RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING DEAF KIDS? ARE YOU A LISENCED SPED TEACHER??? Do you know the concept of Modeling and its impact to learning!!! Bandura said that there should be a good model for learning to occur meaningfully, SEE can provide that model which FSL cant!! CAN YOU TEACH THE ENGLISH SUBJECT USING FILIPINO LANGUAGE? Of course not! Thus, we have to follow the rules....)

You said.....

.... Who has more right to find ways to help deaf children to have better future? Deaf people or hearing people?

(ARE YOU A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON????? WHO DRAFTED THE BILL IN THE FIRST PLACE, A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON!! THIS IS NOT A QUESTION OF BEING A DEAF OR A HEARING PERSON!!!!!!!! THE MAIN THOUGHT STAYS ON THE IDEA OF YOUR INTENTION!!!!!!! IS IT JUST FOR FAME OR FOR GREATER GLORY OF OTHER SOCIAL CLASSES. ... NOT CONSIDERING THE IMPACT OF OTHER LANGUAGES INHIBIT YOU FROM ACHIEVING INCLUSION!!! EDUCATION SHOULD BE DIRECTED TOWARDS THIS MAIN GOAL.. INCLUSION..... BUT YOU ARE DOING IT IN AN OPPOSITE WAY :( )

you said .....

.... Deaf people want to learn how to write and read English, but they want to learn it in the context of their Deaf experience, using their Filipino Sign Language as primary language to communicate and learn in the classroom and everywhere else.

( Are you familiar with the term MODIFICATION OF PROGRAM??? What do you think of us, Sped teachers in the field, ignorant and do not consider others differences??? That is why we have flexible curriculum!!!! QUESTIONING MY MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IS QUESTIONING MY CAPACITY AS A TEACHER TO IMPART MY KNOWLEDGE!!!! IF YOU WANT, COME TO MY CLASS AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MY STUDENTS CREATE THEIR SONNETS AND HAIKUS !!! )

you said...

.... Deaf people who are isolated and discriminated by people who don’t believe in Deaf rights and by the system that only recognize hearing people’s rights.

( Dont you think you will be more discriminated if you are not fully equipped with the necessary LITERACY SKILLS NEEDED?? You are doing something that will make you more discriminated by the society!!!! People from different places, regardless of cultural background are trying to learn English because it it one to be considered necessary for globalization.... SHOULD YOU ALWAYS RELY TO YOUR INTERPRETER>????? )

you said..

....Who should we support? Deaf people who represents the Deaf community and are fighting for Deaf rights? Or hearing people and some deaf people who just don’t like FSL to be used in education??

(FALLACY!!! )

you said

our children to have a better future

.... Do you have a child???? IS he or she familiar and knowledgeable of the English language??? or only Filipino?? If both then dont deprive the students from learning both .....!!!!! Deaf people should also have the right to learn the CORRECT STRUCTURE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!! yOU have clearly stated THAT FSL HAS A DIFFERENT STRUCTURE ..... THEN IN CANT ADDRESS THE IDEA OF TEACHING ENGLISH BECAUSE ENGLISH IS ALSO DIFFERENT!!!!!

....... I am NOT against the FSL BILL... but there should be MODIFICATIONS!! particularly on the MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IN SCHOOLS!!!! Talk if you are really into the BASIC EDUCATION OF THESE CHILDREN>>>>> Kung KATULAD KITA na GURO sa ELEMENTARYA eh dun ka magmaganda... salamat :)

Juan Luna

#40 Re: Encourage with all Deaf pupils learn a FSL

2012-10-23 14:17

#23: DEAF, Inc. - president - Encourage with all Deaf pupils learn a FSL

Research?????May I know the title of your paper???  Provide me then a solid paper that will say that FSL has DEVELOPED the students language, comprehension skills in ENGLISH.....!!!!  I will wait!!! I can provide you plethora of researches here and outside the country telling about the impact of SEE to LITERACY development of Deaf learners!!!!!!

Juan Luna

#41 Re: Re:

2012-10-23 14:31

#27: dud - Re:

Dud.... Is Filipino language taught in the English Subject???? That is why in the BEC we have a separate subject for Engllish and Filipino because Educators  know the big difference of the structure of English and Filipino... !!!! Your bill should then focus on a SEPARATED SUBJECT WHERE FSL HAS TO BE UTILIZED AND TO BE LEARNED BY DEAF LEARNERS (FSL IS THE MEDIUM)  but for those subjects like ENGLISH, SOCIAL STUDIES, which are in English in nature (SEE has to be the medium of instruction).... Di ba????

Deserves respect??? Dont you think deviating from using SEE , ASL is a way to RESPECT these medium of instruction??? Wow... I think you have to reassess your SELF concepts.... :)

More powers to you :)

2012-10-23 15:42

supporting all the way
Hugglicious

#43 Re

2012-10-23 15:49

Give them a voice, you wouldn't like to be deaf and unable to communicate with others.
Kheni

2012-10-23 16:15

I love FSL... We support House bill 6079 for FSL as Natural Sign Language...

2012-10-23 16:28

Hi! how are you there?
frank

#46 hi

2012-10-23 16:30

hi
gibeez

#47 to juan luna

2012-10-23 17:05

could i ask, how long have you been teaching Deaf children?
Angeling

#48 UNITY and ACTION against the anti-FSL

2012-10-24 04:37

YES, WE SUPPORT FSL! Because it is a natural, visual, cultural, and unique sign language where the indigenous Filipino Deaf Community finds more comfortable and has its own rights and self-determination. It is not meant as a written language.

If those hearing SEE-used teachers who never feel closely sensitive or concerned with their students how they feel, they are completely not aware, because they never have to observe or check them if they listen and understand well. Only the teachers strictly teach and train their students to work their crucial learning of signing SEE, speaking, writing and reading in the classroom, the students who show pretended to understand fully?.... it is not, they have lacked their knowledge; they feel strangled and overwhelmed themselves. Then after the class, the teachers go home, come to the class, and also earn their salary that it is routine only but they never have time to be with the students such as chatting or any Deaf-friendly activities. That is like what I had experienced about my preparatory and grade school life before. The use of SEE in the education system should CHANGE NOW.

We should STAND FIRMLY our UNITY and ACTION against the anti-FSL.

The SEE-ker!

#49 Re: UNITY and ACTION against the anti-FSL

2012-10-24 05:13

#48: Angeling - UNITY and ACTION against the anti-FSL

I don't know why all of you are saying that SEE is AGAINST FSL... WE ARE NOT AGAINST FSL!!!! Saan niyo ba nakuha ang ideya na yan? Ok lang na gamitin ang FSL, PERO wag niyo ipilit na FSL ang gamitin sa pormal na pagtuturo sa loob ng silid-aralan! At wag niyo sabihin na hindi kami sensitive or concerned sa students namin!!! Sino ka para sabihan kaming SEE users ng ganyan? Bakit? Kilala mo ba kami? Nakita mo na ba kami kung paano kami makitungo sa mga estudyante namen? NAPAKAKITID ng UTAK mo!!! UTAK BIYA KA! INTINDIHIN mo yan! Filipino gusto mo diba?

Juan Luna

#50 Re: to juan luna

2012-10-24 08:14

#47: gibeez - to juan luna

more than half of my life.,.... I devoted myself in teaching them ..... :)