CRIM 305

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition CRIM 305.

2013-05-24 20:51

We have to be treated fa¡rly.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-05-25 09:00

2013-05-25 09:03

what happens do you then suggest happens to us who passed the test and failed the assignment. If the test is excluded I have no DP.
Naveesha Naidoo

#4 Re:

2013-05-25 09:05

what happens do you then suggest happens to us who passed the test and failed the assignment. If the test is excluded I have no DP.

We'll ask him to remark the test then to give everyone a fair chance

2013-05-25 09:36

Can I suggest that prof steyn remarks the test and then chooses the best mark of the two for each student in that way everyone is happy? I was one of the students that chose more then one option for the mcqs but I agree completely with all the grivences brought up. However if prof steyn is going to remark our tests and mark according to us choosing the most correct answer its going to disadvantage students who had chosen more then one option

2013-05-25 11:29

I have never written a MCQ test where we are able to ring more than one answer. Normally,its having to choose the most correct/appropriate answer. I do find that the test was highly unfair,as even on the cover page-there is no indication that we can choose more than 1 answer. I dissagree completely in the way the test was done,and it has clearly caused an upset within the class.
Naveesha Naidoo
The author of this petition

2013-05-25 11:36

#5: Guest - Can I suggest that prof steyn remarks the test and then chooses the best mark of the two for each student in that way everyone is happy? I was one of the students that chose more then one option for the mcqs but I agree completely with all the grivences brought up. However if prof steyn is going to remark our tests and mark according to us choosing the most correct answer its going to disadvantage students who had chosen more then one option

That sounds like a very good option, I'll include that as well. When I suggested that he remark it I meant that should a student have only selected one option that was one of the right answers he/she should have at least got 1 mark and if they had selected all the right answers they should get 2 marks, otherwise what is the point of each question being worth 2 marks?

Naveesha Naidoo

#8 Resolution options

2013-05-25 11:53

a)the test should be remarked taking into consideration the circumstances under which we wrote it
OR
b) to exclude the test mark from our overall class mark (DP) and use only our assignment mark
OR
c)use the best mark for each student as the Class/DP mark.

Please comment as to which one you would prefer

#9 Re: Resolution options

2013-05-26 00:25

#8: Naveesha Naidoo - Resolution options

Hi. When will we know the answer to what prof steyn is likely to do? as most of us would wana know our final dp mark if there is gona be any changes to the dp marks currently posted on the notice board before we write crim 305

Naveesha Naidoo

#10 Re: Re: Resolution options

2013-05-26 08:45

Hi. When will we know the answer to what prof steyn is likely to do? as most of us would wana know our final dp mark if there is gona be any changes to the dp marks currently posted on the notice board before we write crim 305

We have to get at least 32 signatures from crim 305 students before I consult with the head of school. i'm trying my best to get to them early. I'll send a notice when I'm going to take petition to the head of the school as we should all be present, they won't take the problem seriously if just one person shows up

#11 Re:

2013-05-27 13:46

#1: -

May I please suggest that the Exam paper is NOT done in the way that our test paper was. Ie: To have our exam MCQ section, asking us to ring ONE answer, as we all are fimiliar with.

Naveesha Naidoo

#12 Response

2013-05-29 12:41

Yesterday I emailed Professor Peacock regarding our grievances and directed him to the petition site. This was his reply:

Dear Ms Naidoo

Thank you very much for your writing. I hereby wish to assure you and the students your represent that the test was moderated and found to be both reliable and valid. You are however very welcome to follow university procedures and to appeal to the DP appeals committee who will be meeting on 3 June at 9.00 in the SAHS boardroom. Ms Cindy Naicker will collect any DP appeal forms after the DP refusal lists are published.

I hereby wish to make use of this opportunity to wish you and the class a very fruitful and successful examination period.

Best regards

Prof Robert Peacock