Steve's High Five Petition

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Steve's High Five Petition.

2013-11-04 19:01

WBC hang your head in shame.

2013-11-04 19:03

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. My children do not go to school on Bridge Lane, but whenever we drive through he always waves and we always wave back. He is so friendly and as far as I see it, it should be left to the people of Appleton and Stockton Heath to decide whether high fiving is acceptable or not. As for the councils poor excuse that it distracts him from the traffic is utter nonsense. He promotes road safety with his attitude that can only be impressed on the children he helps across the road every day. WBC you have finally lost the plot!
Willow

2013-11-05 16:27

What a sad world we must live in where the views of a miserable minority take precedence over a simple act of friendliness and kindness. Lollypop Steve brings a bit of joy into each day. We actually need more people like him and his community spirit should not be quashed.

2013-11-06 09:22

If WBC want to reduce the amount of time traffic spends queuing on Bridge Lane, they want to try targeting the selfish motorists who park on the yellow lines outside the school every morning and afternoon at school times, rather than the innocuous actions of Steve.

2013-11-06 09:28

This is political correctness gone made, Steve makes the kids happy and gets them across the road safely, would they rather have the kids run across a dangerous part of the road than walk down and go across safely and happily with Steve?

2013-11-06 09:37

Whoever complained about this man needs to be ashamed of themselves.

#57 Re: Steve's High Five petition.

2013-11-06 09:50

#1: -  

This rule applies to all school crossing patrols accross the country and is explained in the annual training that the use of hand jestures is foribien whilst on duty in the road as it could be seen as an offical command by drivers. This rule is intended to protect both the school crossing patrol and members of the public.

All complaints are looked at and as a result steve was asked to abide by the law.

2013-11-06 12:12

What has the world come to when a man in a high visibility jacket holding a large confectionery shaped sign can't offer a sign of respect to young children? I blame Brussels. Free the Appleton (High) Five!
sarah connelly

#59 The Light of my kids day

2013-11-06 12:22

Steve is a totally amazing man he certainly encoraged my children not just to cross the road anywhere, they look forward to waiting for steve to cross them making my kids day. Please don't take away this lovely gesture that i will fondly remember as my kids get older. Steve is an absolute asset compare to the rest of the lollipop men/women we have come across who were grumpy, cold unintrested ect Lets bring our shuneshine back and a massive apology to Steve as i feel he has been treated dredfully xx
Petition Author

#60 Re: Re: Steve's High Five petition.

2013-11-06 12:36

#57: - Re: Steve's High Five petition.

"use of hand jestures is forbidden whilst on duty in the road"  We're not asking him to give the children "in/on the road", we're asking you to allow him to give the children a high five ON THE PAVEMENT after he has signalled cars to continue on their merry way!!! This is not interferring with the high way code rules.

2013-11-06 12:36

Well done for fighting against a controlling council. Name and shame these idiots.

2013-11-06 12:54

how ridiculous is this?
PC gone completely crazy.

2013-11-06 14:17

Return commonsense to this country, please. How can a nation once known for its pragmatism and clear-headedness get into this Health&Safety/jobsworth/human-rights rubbish of a rut? It's gone mad!

2013-11-06 16:39

I have had 5 children going through the schools and still got two at high school but steve is a great man , and i belong to a mums and tots group and he came along to talk about his book he had written So i think it is very upsetting that people are saying not to do the high fives any more x

2013-11-06 18:16

Totally disgusting behaviour to a wonderful lollipop man who does a fab job and is loved by children and adults alike. Council should be ashamed!! I work at a school and we can't get a lollipop man and the council treat this first rate worker like this!! Bring back the high fives!!

2013-11-06 19:31

he even passes the time of day with granny,s and that cheers me up as sometimes its afternoon and i,ve not spoken to anybody all day

2013-11-06 20:13

Steve is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Really Warrington Borough Council is is the best you have to offer. This man deserves a medal not a reprimand. As for the person who took the time to complain 'Get a life!'.

2013-11-06 21:28

steve is a wonderful man and for my children over the last 4yrs it became a daily ritual of "quick mum im gonna miss my high 5 from steve " this man makes everyone feel so much better even on a bad day ..bring back the smilesto our kids and respect the fact that this man is wonderful at his job and brings so many smiles to parents and children alike... he goes above and beyond his job role because he cares and knows all the children in the school and the parents ...hes a great man and he does a great job x

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-11-06 21:41

Appleton mum

2013-11-06 22:04

Steve should be getting an award for being best Lollipop man in Warrington not being treated like this . He is an amazing man whom all the children respect he is not taking too long he is making everyone's day. I agree he should be given a medal. WE LOVE STEVE!

2013-11-07 07:49

Hope the High Fives are reinstated very soon!

2013-11-07 09:39

We want our "high fives " back !

2013-11-07 14:46

I can appreciate concerns about safeguarding small children. Trouble is that this complaint must come from a small minded person who prefers to snipe at somebody doing an important job - in all sorts of weather. Not a job I would fancy doing. Hats off to this guy and thumbs down for petty minded idiots.

2013-11-07 15:35

Steve is a very dedicated Lollipop Man hes such a gentleman not just with the children but with the parents as well hes such a friendly man with every one he meets it a pity there was not more like him

#75 Re:

2013-11-07 15:43