Unfair Policing in Context Exam JSB284

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Unfair Policing in Context Exam JSB284.

The author of this petition

2013-11-17 03:31

I could not have possibly prepared for this exam. Very unfair, probably failed.

2013-11-17 03:42

I felt completely lost once I started reading the exam in perusal time. I feel I have failed as I knew hardly anything from the questions asked.I prepared for weeks for this exam and feel it was a waste of time. I feel the whole semester of lectures was also a waste as nothing came from this material!!

2013-11-17 05:36

There was one question on this exam which did not have a correct option the question about the vocational entry to the police had three option and one all of the above however the truth is you must complete two of the options not all and not just one making it impossible to answer this question

2013-11-17 07:58

reading though this exam i don't see how a lecturer can say this is an acceptable exam that demonstrates knowledge of what we have covered through this course. this reminded me of the forensic psych exam from last year and i am sick of being a guinea pig for these types of exams.

2013-11-18 01:19

The question regarding police vocational entry was completely misleading! The question itself had no right answer because 'all of the above' was not applicable since two of the three above options were correct. I studied that very question the morning before the exam and I know that is the answer given to us in our materials.

Oh, and the rest of the exam in general had very few questions that were actually learned content, the majority of questions were more or less very difficult to prepare for (if not totally unanticipated).

#6 Re:

2013-11-18 01:29

#3: -  Yes, I was stuck on this question too.  It could have gone either way as their recruitment processes have changed over the years.

2013-11-18 02:07

Exam reflected on nothing learned during the course and was completely abstract from unit materials.

#8 Disappointed Student

2013-11-18 02:28

I am incredibly disappointed with this university subject and the way that it was taught. I felt the material was covered in other subjects offered in the degree. The assessment was poorly put together and did not allow students to work to the best of their ability (especially the group assignment). Worse still the only results that we have been given is our first assignment which was completed in week 4 (this was out of 20). The day before the exam was to be sat the results for the group assignment (out of 50) was still not released so I felt I was walking into the exam completely blind of how I needed to go in the exam to pass he subject. The exam was the worst exam I think I have every sat at QUT. There was no way I could have adequately prepared myself for this exam and I am sure I have failed for the first time at university. I also found it highly inappropriate that the lecturer sent an email saying she was away on course work in an area where she had little access to email and therefore would not be available to answer our questions concerning the exam. Overall I feel like this subject was unfair and i am so disappointed.
A fellow disappointed student

#9 A fellow disappointed student

2013-11-18 06:17

I have to agree with all of the comments above. Why not base the exam on the lectures or the content in the set text book? Yet, I sat in an exam (after studying all of the other set readings) and during the 10 minute perusal time, I nearly fell off my seat because there would have only been 2 or 3 questions that I actually knew i.e the question asking what does RCIADIC stand for. Not fair especially after I did so well in the first assessment but also unfair that we went into the exam still having not received our results for the group assignment - it has been nearly a month since we handed that one in with no feedback or results received. I also have to agree that this unit did not cover any content that I hadn't learnt in previous years in this degree. I didn't want to do this unit to start off with but with the changes to the degree and the majors, I was told that this unit was mandatory. I feel it was a complete and utter waste of my time!

#10 Complaints sent?

2013-11-18 06:20

I just wanted to know whether anyone has sent a verbal complaint to the lecturer or the Justice department? I think we should also do that as well as this petition. We should do this ASAP as we don't want our results to be released before anything has been said and done.

2013-11-18 06:43

As we are justice students this is by far the only Just thing to do about this horrendous exam we go given with little to no guidance on what to study.
ebony

#12 Re: Disappointed Student

2013-11-18 07:14

#8: - Disappointed Student

Could not agree more! This is exactly how I feel! If I dont graduate because of this subject I will be very angry!

2013-11-18 08:15

I agree with the comments above, this whole unit was a shambles. I am actually annoyed that I attended all the lectures, because  it was clearly a waste of time, and wouldn't have made any difference in the final wash-up. It all started with the first assignment, it was a 1000 word assignment and it took her 6 weeks to get the results back to us... I did a 3000 word assignment for another justice unit, and I got that back within a week and a half. Furthermore the marking for that assignment was ridiculous, she actually said that legislation ‘isn't a 'scholarly source' Pretty ironic when we're part of the LAW faculty. Secondly the due date for the second assignment was ridiculous, it was literally due a week before exams started, and going by her track record with marking assessment we were never going to get our results back before the exam. When I did the actual exam I felt that I may as well have been doing an exam for another course. She promised that if we went to the lectures we would be fine, and as the previous comments stated there were literally 3 questions that may have actually been in the lecture slides… Something seriously needs to be done about this, she has proven numerous times that she is an incompetent unit coordinator and clearly is incapable of managing subjects on her own.

2013-11-18 08:23

Quoting from what cassandra said "if you turn up to all the lectures then you'll pass the exam
Nothing from the lecture slides was on the exam. Purely all readings....who has an exam just about readings?
Disappointed student

#15 Useless

2013-11-19 04:58

I feel like all the readings and lectures I went to was a waste of time and I did all the textbook readings however most of the exam questions came from the CMD readings which disappeared if you didn't read them that week! Pointless, useless unit such a waste of time!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-11-19 06:16

2013-11-19 07:00

Very dodgy, disorganised subject. The exam tested knowledge of individual facts from the readings rather than the actual concepts taught in the unit and lectures. Some questions were also poorly-worded and vague, meaning that it was tough to choose an answer even if you had studied. Taking 2 months to mark 1000 word essays just shows how disorganised the unit was. Having a group assignment worth 50% is way too much, especially if marks aren't going to be returned before the final exam. Only positive from the unit was the guest lecturers

2013-11-19 07:24

Hardly any of the content came from the lecture material. You would think it would mostly come from the lecture content and be influenced by readings etc. (i.e the way we learn it throughout the semester)

2013-11-19 08:02

I agree with the above that many of the questions (and possible responses to them) were horribly worded, and some of them seemed to have no real correct answer at all, or had 2 correct answers... I hated that "role of police liaison" question, personally.

However, for the sake of fairness, she did tell us which readings to focus on. That said... it was still a crappy exam.

2013-11-19 10:54

I read the readings and study guide and still felt that I hadn't read anything about some of the questions on the exam.

2013-11-19 11:20

How (and why) were we expected to memorise the statistics questions. We can't be expected to memorise and remember all statistics presented to us. I found the technology question to be very unfair

2013-11-19 11:35

I felt this exam was an unfair reflection of my hard work in this unit.
Disgruntled.

#23 Shouldn't have even bothered

2013-11-19 12:33

By drawing the entire exam from over 20 long readings and a study guide, and only telling us this before the exam, basically meant that any time spent in lectorial attendance was a waste of time. I would have better spent my time over the whole semester reading and memorising the obscure details in the readings which were on the exam, than attending the lectorials. What a joke!! This subject is bound to bring my GPA down, which is completely unfair.

2013-11-19 21:15

Yes, this exam was ridiculous. One question that still sticks in my mind was along the lines of "identify the topic that the authour of a reading did not talk about?" How can I rembember what a specific person didnt say? The were many questions of a similar kind that would have been impossible to prepare for and remember.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2013-11-20 00:17