fisherman

2014-02-09 17:09

i agree they shouldnt ban a tradition of a life time because the rich say so

Replies

conservation

#16 Re: comments

2014-03-30 10:05:32

#1: fisherman -

Why is there a misconceived assumption that this is about wealthy riparian owners dictating to the EA. The Salmon stocks have hugely declined in the past 100yrs due to various ecological reasons, sea netting, poaching etc. The EA stopped the tidal netting 10 years ago, including a financial renumeration to the fisherman to cover "potential" losses, due to lack of Salmon entering the river system. The Salmon stocks are still massively depleted. This is about conservation of an amazing creature. Every Salmon removed from the Tamar further depletes precious stock. CONSERVATION or EXTINCTION, what is acceptable??

Salmon

#158 Re:

2014-08-21 18:33:59

Conservationist 

Has anyone asked the Salmon what they think. No? Guess why - try finding one to ask! This is nothing to do with livelihoods or sporting pass times for the rich or the working man,  it is about conservation of a species that has dwindled to next to nothing over the last 40 years. A combination of polutants, fishing ( nets or otherwise) & poaching means unless something is done there will be no Salmon in the Tamar. Another question you need to ask is who has done most to preserve the Salmon stock in the Tamar over the last 20 years - those that have paid to restock the Tamar on numerous ocassions to find themselves pilloried as 'the rich'  in the comments on this petition.

Truthmonger

#159 Re:

2014-11-24 19:50:09

#1: fisherman -  

It's got nothing to do with the so-called rich versus the so-called poor. The season tickets for the various angling clubs in Cornwall are very reasonable! This whole petition lark reeks of "class-envy". I grew up on the banks of the Tamar and my experience of the salmon netters was that they broke all the rules; instead of of shooting the net in a crescent they freqently stretched it from right across the river from one bank to the other.Any attempt to engage them in conversation would be met with a tirade of abuse and threats of physical violence!