Cycle Route Between Middlesbrough & Guisborough

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Cycle Route Between Middlesbrough & Guisborough.

#76 Re: Re: Re: morton carr level crossing

2014-07-18 20:30

#50: - Re: Re: morton carr level crossing

Thanks for your sad comment Denny. You are more or less correct about the inducements offered. My standard response to any closure request is, and always has been, " No way. You built the railways and the crossings were provided for the sole benefit of the farmers and landowners and other authorised users." Your basic problem Denny, is that the Guisborough Walkway is exactly what the name suggests - it is NOT a cycleway although the great and good from the council did originally open it on their bicycles! Network Rail's problem is trespass on their railway by people accessing what I have always called the footpath to nowhere and that is why they have built the over the top deterrent which I understand cost £8000. Meanwhile, they are whingeing about repairing their cattle grid at Morton Carr crossing, because they would have to bring in an outside contractor. For the avoidance of doubt, I have no connection whatsoever whith the acommodation crossing at Morton Grange Farm. The meeting as usual was pretty negative. This saga has been going on for many years with funding for a cycleway promised by Tees Forest; Sustrans; NY Moors National Park; Heritage Lottery etc; and at this point we are just about sick of it and will not be participating in any further meetings or indeed posting on this forum.

2014-07-22 11:06

Much loved and used route between middlesbrough and pinchenthorpe virtually un accessible and preventing parents & children enjoying the scenery and exercising as a family along with the problems it causes for cyclists on the whole. Healthier communities need access to such safe routes.
car02boro

#78 Re:

2014-08-03 13:18

#72: -

Hear! Hear!

car02boro

#79 Re: dangerous crossing

2014-08-03 13:21

#53: -

Hear! Hear!  what is more, people are now crossing at different, more dangerous points - they will always find a way over, so why not build a simple safe crossing here instead of wasting £thousands on blocking it off

2014-08-04 03:16

I'm 52 and I have been using this crossing since I was 9 years old. Even rode a Raleigh Chopper down there once and that was when it was new!

2014-08-09 12:26

Hope this gets sorted soon its seems to have draged on far to long

2014-08-10 08:05

I was going to do a petition myself as I use this route all the time for mountain biking.
Let's hope something comes of it

2014-08-11 08:36

If this is about the old railway line this is an excellent idea. We go to whitby to ride along the old cinder line there and loads of people use it especially kids learning with no cars around them. 

Richie

#84 MP's informed

2014-08-11 10:24

I have sent emails to both Middlesbrough & Redcar/Cleveland MP's Tom Blenkinsop & Ian Swales to ask what their views are on this issue. I have told them that we are proposing a slow ride protest along the A171 to raise awareness on this issue and finally get something done about it. I have asked for their advise on how best to go about this. I am sure the Evening Gazette and North east news would be interested. I will post any feedback I receive.

Richie

#85 MP's reply

2014-08-11 11:17

Dear Mr Whitehead,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Middlesbrough to Guisborough cycle route and the closure of the level crossing at Morton Grange Farm back in October 2013.

This is a matter that has been raised with me a number of times since last year, and just last week I received an update from Network Rail for their plans for the crossing, and to ensure a safe cycle path is installed.  I attach for your information the text of the letter which was sent by the Chief Executive of Network Rail.

I hope that this helps and reassures you that plans are in place to try and get a safe crossing for cyclists as soon as possible.

With all best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

Tom Blenkinsop MP

MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland
Richie

#86 Network rail chief executive

2014-08-11 11:18

Text of letter from Network Rail dated 28th July 2014 regarding the closed crossing at Morton 

Grange Farm in Nunthorpe.

Thank you for contacting me to raise the concerns of your constituent regarding the close crossing at 

Morton Grange Farm. I have investigate this matter with our Level Crossing Manager for the area.

Safety is Network rail’s top priority. There are currently more than 6,500 level crossings in Great 

Britain and we have invested in a wide-ranging programme, working with national and local

organisations, such as schools and user groups, to help the public use them correctly. Since 2009 we 

have closed 850 crossings as part of a £100m investment programme to improve safety and mitigate 

risk. In addition, over our new Control Period we are committed to reducing risk at level crossings by 

a further 25% over the 5 year term.

The level crossing at Morton Grange Farm was closed in October 2013. We had experienced 

multiple instances at this crossing of not only trespass but also misuse. This posed an unacceptable 

risk to not only the crossing users but also train services. Due to the trespass and related safety

concerns, the private landowner has agreed to the crossing being padlocked and protected by 

secure fencing.

Network Rail is keen to resolve this issue for the benefit of the public and we have been proactively 

working with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council to find a solution. Network Rail has proposed 

to make land available along the southern boundary of the railway to create a new cycleway which 

will connect to the former Guisborough Branch bridleway. This will be a safe route as it will cross 

under the railway by means of an underpass.

We are currently progressing the release of railway operational land to create the cycle path. The 

path will be suitably surfaced and fenced on both sides. It must be noted that this proposal will also 

need to be approved and consented to by our Regulator and the Train Operating Companies. The 

Council will similarly need to address land ownership issues and consents with the affected 

landowner. Consequently, it will take time to instigate.

If your constituents have any further concerns relating to this issue or to level crossing safety, they 

can contact us directly through our 24 hour helpline on 08457 11 41 41 or alternatively visa our 

website www.networkrail.co.uk.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Carne

Chief Executive

John

#87 Crossing

2014-08-18 13:45

Why has this cycle/walking/riding track been closed ? Is it on the grounds of Public safety, crossing the rail track ? According to the Trainline there are only two trains that run from Nunthorpe Station to Whitby in the Afternoon/Evening. There is a train that leaves at 14:19 and the last one runs at 17:53 ! So in five hours only two trains use that track, it is hardly the East Coast line !! By closing this "dangerous" crossing is forcing people onto the very busy Guisborough dual carriageway, do we have to wait until a cyclist dies on this road before this path is reopened ?! 

2014-08-20 16:47

I cannot not believe that this route has been deemed as dangerous .It
is a pleasant cycle route from Nunthorpe to pinchinthorpe woods which opens up many different routes across the North Yorkshire moors .The alternative is to cycle along the busy A171 and really take your life in your hands! Thanks British Rail

2014-09-05 08:59

Im an inexperienced cyclist and need a safe route away from cars. I have the same rights as car drivers to get from A to B safely
ETR

2014-09-06 09:39

Needs sorting out quickly!

2014-09-09 13:31

As a frequent bike rider through Morton Carr crossing (before it was closed) I was pleased to find this petition online. Good luck with a proper cycle path being built there.

2014-09-09 19:21

Common sense tells you the path needs to be open for cyclists and walkers,sort it whos ever idea it was to put the stupid green fence up
prl

#93 Cycle/Walking route Nunthorpe to Pinchinthorpe.

2014-09-14 16:10

So, Network Rail have constructed heavy duty green fencing etc to stop people crossing the track. What they have actually done is put lives more at risk by fitting wooden anti walkways at both sides of the track and fencing next to this anti walkway so effectively making it more dangerous to cross. Network Rail must know people will still cross the track here as they have done for decades so because of this I see Network Rails actions as ridiculous! And by the way NR, do the people who cross the track here (to manage & shoot  pheasant's in the woods) have PTS? I would say they don't and are not trained in Personal Track Safety so why is it one rule for them and another for everyone else!? My final point is that this walkway route is on Google map's & others so people will always see it as their right to get from one side to the other. Come on some common sense please, there must be a way around this!

2014-09-16 09:16

For the sake and safety of others

2015-03-19 17:15

Disgusting that the crossing has been closed. Access to the old railway line saved me walking/cycling on a busy main road. I have already witnessed two near misses with cyclists. In a time when we want to encourage more people to be active and lead healthier lifestyles due to the increasing number of obese people in this town this does nothing to encourage people to get out and exercise. We are losing far too much green space in Nunthorpe to developers and this restriction is the icing on the cake. I find it shocking that this could be allowed to happen especially when this section of the crossing has very clear visibility and the odd train trundling down the line!!!!!!!

2015-09-17 14:03

Because I think this cycle way needs to be opened as soon as possible for the benefit of walkers and cyclists

2016-02-27 09:16

Nice and easy walking for elderly.

2019-05-17 14:37

Any news regarding this matter?
NPT

#99 Has this now been abandoned?

2020-05-08 14:45

I'm guessing there has been no progress by network rail and the local councils

#100 Re: Has this now been abandoned?

2020-09-22 10:37

#99: NPT - Has this now been abandoned? 

I have emailed Ben Houchen and Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council regarding the matter. It is silly to have to lift your bike over 7 step over fences to access the bridleway.

In a time when climate change is a growing issue, councillors and politicians should be encouraging cycling.