NO Annexing and Rezoning Parcels for Proposed Walmart Strip Mall

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NO Annexing and Rezoning Parcels for Proposed Walmart Strip Mall.

#26 Poor staffing in existing stores already

2013-12-21 18:33

We do not need a Walmart on ebinport rd. it is to narrow, to bumpy, and to busy as it is now. There is a new Walmart proposed to go on cherry road just 2 miles from this location and there is already a Walmart 2 miles the other direction. Do we really need a Walmart every 2 miles??? Maybe if they want to build more stores then rock hill needs to make them properly staff the existing 2 stores first then consider allowing them to build a Walmart somewhere else
D

#27 Ebinport Elementary

2013-12-22 23:27

I take this "cut-through" every day to and from Ebinport Elementary to avoid the traffic at the Herlong/Ebenezer intersection. We would witness an accident or near-miss at that intersection at least three days per week. Closing this road would be a safety nightmare on top of the safety concerns of building a walmart so close to a school.

2013-12-26 03:41

We do not need another WalMart in this area. There is one 5 minutes from the proposed location. The traffic light being proposed will only add to the traffic congestion.

2013-12-26 15:44

This is total greed on behave of Walmart and an infringment to the people that would live next door to this proposed Walmart.

I encourage you to sign this petition.
Choose a nickname

#30 S

2013-12-26 17:54

Write a comment...
Fedup

#31 Walmart

2013-12-26 18:05

I think it is time to question the decisions of our city and county councils. They have not had citizens best interest in mind in many years, just their own pockets. A Walmart in this location will be a traffic nightmare and ruin property value for blocks around it. Before something of this size is approved consideration should be given to sewage issues, traffic patterns, noise and light pollution, and actual need. Rock Hill used to be a beautiful city, now it seems to be a race to destroy every tree and piece of greenery in the town. Quality of life is more important than greed.

2013-12-27 21:15

Enough already, Walmart! Just another continued attempt to corner the retail market!
Tigger

#33 Re: Walmart

2013-12-27 21:22

#1: -  

Of course, when Walmart does finally corner the retail market, then we'll be forced to pay whatever prices they want us to! Why people don't see this is beyond me.  It's got the worst customer service of any retailer that I know of. And with so many stores, there are stores who can't seem to keep product on the shelves, which is fine by me! I'll do all I can to NOT shop at Walmart or Sam's Club stores!

2014-01-01 14:48

We just moved to rock hill off of Ebinport road and there is no reason for another Wal-mart when you have the new one down the road. Wal-Mart brings a lot of issues to a community and they are not good ones. If you need an example look at the WalMart on Dave Lyle blvd... We don't need that here. Let's not make this another Cherry Road.

2014-01-01 18:49

Walmart workers can barely afford to live off their wages. So much so that Walmart puts out donation/collection bins for it's own workers. Walmart drives out small businesses and ruins local growth. We already have a walmart 5 mins away in Newport and one off Dave Lyle. I refuse to support another Walmart!

2014-01-02 15:39

Walmart will change the aesthetic look of the area from residual to commercial. Their building plan should keep the residual look as they have done in Hilton Head South Carolina. Walmart will impact the employment in the area by exchanging low wage jobs for higher paying ones. This is not a good move for the city of Rock Hill.

2014-01-03 05:20

I believe there are already enough Walmart businesses in Rock Hill especially with a rumored full Walmart on its way in addition to the two current ones. Along with that, the roads are heavily traveled as it is in this proposed area that it would add additional congestion. The city also has other idol strip malls that could be utilized. Let's revitalize Rock Hill instead of just cramming in another strip mall while we have other areas that could work as well if this store is truly essential for the city. I do not believe that it is essential though considering that within 5 minutes of this location are 3 existing grocery stores, one of which is a Walmart superstore. And it is known that Walmart exchanges their low wage jobs for higher wage jobs. This will only help a few while hurting the majority in the macro effect. Let's not lower the bar for Rock Hill. Rock Hill has a lot to offer as long as we keep it that way.
Diane

#38 No, one mile to the west is not a good idea

2014-01-03 21:56

Move one mile to the west and you are entering the airport zone; I doubt that a store as high-traffic as the proposed WalMart would be allowed there.

How about no new Walmart, period?

2014-01-05 14:29

It seems the intention of Walmart is to create a monopoly in every city they can establish themselves in. Being part of the community is not their intention, they want to be THE COMMUNITY. They will not be satisfied until they monopolize grocery, gas, pharmacy, mobile phone service and the clothing business in this town!

2014-01-05 18:59

I am opposed to the WalMart for all of the reasons cited in the position. Blocking off the access to Ebinport from Celanese will cause unnecessary delays to those of us who travel this route on a daily basis.
Suwanee Meadows

#41 Articles anti-walmart educate yourself

2014-01-05 22:49

If the site is not listed/hyperlink deleted, search with the text you see.

http://www.corp-research.org/e-letter/rolling-back-property-tax-payments
You don't need to be an expert to do critical corporate research. See our online Guide to find the best sources.
http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/sites/default/files/docs/pdf/walmart_shiftingtheburden.pdf
Suwanee Meadows

#42 Articles anti-walmart educate yourself

2014-01-05 22:52

This one is awesome!
http://webapps.icma.org/pm/8702/public/cover.cfm?author=kenneth%20stone&title=how%20do%20you%20deal%20with%20the%20entry%20of%20a%20new%20wal-mart%20supercenter%20into%20your%20town%3F

Good Jobs First
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/business/10prop.html?_r=0

Walmart is not a good Neighbor: Please take the time to read about the audacious business practices followed by Walmart Corporation.

Suwanee Meadows

#43 Articles anti-walmart: educate yourself

2014-01-05 22:54

The Economics of Wal-Mart
Would Wal-Mart Build a Store and Then Abandon It?

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/wsj071023-walmart-tax_reduction.pdf

Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?

2014-01-06 02:16

This strip mall would hurt home values along with adding traffic to an area that has a
lot of traffic already. This would also hurt small businesses in the area.

2014-01-06 04:23

There are two grocery stores and a 24hr CVS within 1/2 mile of this location. Not to mention a WALMART SUPERCENTER WITHIN 5 miles of this location. There is no need for another one. By the way, people who shop at the Harris Teeter, do not shop there because to get the lowest price.

2014-01-06 13:11

I DO NOT want to see another Wal-Mart on this side of town. There are already two Super Wal-Marts within a 15 minute drive from my house. Rock Hill is already overdeveloped on Celanese. Adding more stop lights will create a stop and go effect much like what ruined Cherry Road. I am NOT interested in having another grocery store when there is already a super Wal-Mart, two grocery stores, and two drug stores within a 10 mile radius. NO, NO, NO!!! Again: NO!!!

2014-01-06 14:19

With a brand new Super WalMart just down the road there is NO reason to have another WalMart on Ebinport/Celanese. There are multiple grocery stores in the immediate area and another WalMart will NOT further "business competition" but rather pull from it's own customer base. WalMart is notoriously horrible with caring for it's current locations such as the run-down and outdated store on Dave Lyle Blvd which I refuse to shop anymore. If competition is needed in the area make it a Super Target or other brand of store other than another WalMart. It is NOT wanted in this neighborhood.
LouLou

#48 no walmart, on Celanese Rd

2014-01-06 18:26

When I first moved to RH, Celanese was the 2 lane road my children used to run across to get the Rosewood School. Now it is a 5 lane parking lot for many hours each day. We DO NOT NEED anything else to add congestion to this area! There are enough grocery stores close by and this will be a gateway for Walmart to "give an inch and take a mile". I do not shop at any Walmart in the area...Rock Hill, Newport or Tega Cay. I do not want us to do anything else to promote their working practices, their made in China products and GREED. When Sam was alive and in charge, he proudly showed "Made in America" in advertising. How many of you remember those days? We neither want nor need another Walmart in our area! This proposed area could not be a worse location for the benefit of Rock Hill
Melanie

2014-01-06 19:29

There is no need for a Wal-Mart in this location. I live just up the road near the Food Lion shopping plaza at the corner of Mt.Gallant. From there to the Newport Wal-Mart is approximately 5 miles. The Wal-Mart at the mall is about 5 miles in the other direction. Not to mention the Harris Teeter plaza that lays between the Food Lion and Newport Wal-Mart. Traffic on Celanse/161 is already congested and when it's not congested people are driving 10-20 miles an hour over the posted speed limit. Not only is there not a need for this 'neighborhood' store, the increased traffic will mean more accidents, more danger to residents who have to travel that way to get home. Let's not forget about the school buses either. People already fly through existing school zones and don't stop for the buses on Celanese Rd. Do you really think more shopping is going to make that better? Please do not let Wal-Mart build anything else in this already congested area.

2014-01-06 23:09

Too much of a good thing is still too much.