Save portlaoise A&E services now following the Leaked Report of the Midlands. Hospital group management .

2015-06-09 08:44

My daughter delivered her baby there and found it a good experience.
The staff were fantastic & she would go there again

2015-06-11 23:36

I've attended Portlaoise for my pregnancy & delivery of my daughter. Attended a&e a few times over the years & they are amazing. Essential to the area if we had to travel any further recently there would have been a very different outcome for my husband.

2015-06-12 13:06

Because lives will be lost if the A/E is closed or downgraded

2015-06-15 13:57

Because it's a scandle to close an A&E that was so busy and so many people rely on

2015-06-15 15:02

I signed the petition because I live in portlaoise and with 3 young children I feel it's vital to have the A&E kept open

2015-06-15 16:56

Have attended this hopitals for numerous reasons: as a patient in maternity, surgical, paeds and a&e and have always found service excellent while somewhat medically understaffed. Ques for a&e have always been manic and wards are full throughout each section. To cut services and put this pressure onto another hospital who is also understaffed, overflowing with patients is ridiculous. Waiting lists to get seen in any of surrounding hospitals are a year or more as i found out recently when my son my child needed surgery on his knee in Tullamore and was told it would take up to year and to have mole removed in portlaoise a yr to 2 yrs. Others hospitals do not have the money, time or resources to take on services they want to remove from portloaise. Also with the amount of recreational facilitities, schools, prisons, motorways etc. In Laois this would be unsafe.

2015-06-17 06:25

I am a South African doctor who worked at the Portlaoise A&E for one year. This department provides an essential service to the community of Portlaoise and the surrounding areas. If it closes patients are going to have to travel an unacceptable distance to receive emergency care. It certainly is a busy department ( I remember being worked off my feet at times) and if all Portlaoise patients are deferred to Tullamore/Naas etc it will definitely increase the patient load in those departments - this is sure to lead to increased patient dissatisfaction and decreased patient safety. Finally I would like to comment that in all my years as a doctor I have never come across more competent nurses than those I encountered in the Portlaoise A&E - they are not only knowledgable but also extremely dedicated to the community that they serve.

2015-06-19 21:23

I attended the meeting in Portlaoise In the heritage hotel tonight
I brought my two kids with me
The public got to say there views on the hospital
I really wanted too but didn't have the courage to stand up in front of everyone
Public were brilliant speaking out the truth !! 
I had to leave early as had a very tired 3 year old but I wanted to attend with my kids because I need this hospital especially for my kids and for myself and for my family .. 
My 3 year old girl has cystic fibrosis and without this hospital as she gets older , her condition will get worse and to get to Tallaght in time ,, there will be no time ,, my baby be gone ..
If people are not aware wat CF is it's got to do with ur main organs and mainly ur lungs
If a Cf patient gets a really bad chest infection , cold , any infection ,, they get it a lot worse than any of us !
Lungs are ur life , to keep u alive .. Numerous times I had to rush up too Portlaoise hospital during the night to get them to check her oxygen levels and her spiked temperature
Oxygen levels dropped she would need Ivs straight away 
It's a scary frightening condition and its 24 hour care at home and in hospitals 
To have a hospital 5 mins beside me open day and night is very important !!!!! 
So please everyone fight for our A+E services to stay the way they are
And get the staff and management we need in the areas that need to be improved in there services ... 
Thanks

louise

#209 Re: so true

2015-06-19 21:46

#210 Re:

2015-06-19 21:47

#208: -  

brilliant 

2015-12-02 19:25

Just had cause to visit the A&E department last night...would hate to have to travel more than a half hour in an emergency. ....all the doctors, nurses and all staff were so helpful and so efficient and we were so grateful to them all and so glad they were nearby

2015-12-03 21:55

There are so many elements of care that WILL NOT be reproduced /replaced elsewhere.
Huge employer. Female income in Laois is enhanced by this.
We need to HOLD ON TO 24 HOUR SERVICE SO AS TO MAKE BUSINESS PLANS FOR FUTURE SERVICES.! NB*

2016-02-18 08:52

Don't let what happened to Roscommon happen to another county!

2016-02-18 15:30

The hospital should be given the correct funding to improve services. Removing A&E services would be a great disservice to the catchment area, the staff and also to the surrounding hospitals who will have to pick up the extra work.

2016-02-18 16:27

Because my dad and his family are from Portlaoise and my uncle still lives there.

2016-02-18 17:44

We need to keep portlaoise hospital for to save lives in our area we need a 24 hour A&E .

2016-02-18 19:36

Iv had my child in there since December and I couldn't find them any better they are stretched to the limits but still carry out there work quickly and attentively

2016-02-18 20:44

This is a well needed service naas is over crowded and its closer for emergancys

2016-02-18 21:05

It would be such a backward step to close A & E at night What happens to people living on remote parts of Laois would have to go to Tullamore or James's, making difficult and expensive for their families' to visit

2016-02-18 23:18

Portlaoise is a great hospital Outstanding staff Have brother there since January 2015 Wouldn't get better treatment anywhere else They can't do enough for him Absolutely amazing people

2016-02-19 15:37

Because we need to keep our Nearest hospital to Athy open and i have being patient there on several occasions and cannot fault the care and Attention i recieved .

2016-02-20 02:38

I have spent the last couple of weeks in the hospital.
People are on trolleys, why should a place close down if we just need an expansion and not for it to be closed down.
Secondly , we can't be sent to tullamore or naas because they just the same. So where do we go? No where can facilitate us. Naas has 6 ICU beds, portlaoise only has 2! A man who lived right across from the Naas hospital was sent here because there was no room for him in naas! So your going to tell us there will be space for us elsewhere, that's lies.
If someone has a heart attack you expect an ambulance to get from wherever they are which could be kildare to here and back to naas in time? I definitely don't think so.
We need EXPANSION! not to be got ridden of and forgotten about.
You want more space for medical? Build a new hospital just for maternity and out patients?
We are in the Midlands I'm sure you'll find the greenery to build!
Move the psych ward back to its original place if needs be! Do the best u can. But our hospital must stay.
We are a community, u need the money I'm sure the community would help fundraise some if necessary.
That's all I have to say.
19 year old student.

2016-02-20 10:32

It's an essential service for the 38,000 people who use the service annually. 20 % attend after 8pm. We need this service.

2016-02-25 20:49

I feel very strongly about saving Portlaoise Hospital as it is a very part of the community and to lose A&E at night would be detrimental to the people of Laois

2016-04-20 08:35

I have 2 small babies...and no car...where else can i bring them in an emergency??? its already bad enough that the hospital is only a half hr from where i live...and i have to travel to Tullamore for ear appointments!! for a town as big and as thriving as Portlaoise...it needs an A&E