please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz.

PamR

2015-09-20 20:55

It is dreadfully sad that the Zoo Keeper has died in such tragic circumstances. My heart goes out to all her family. Unfortunately it is clear she did not follow zoo safety protocols and paid the ultimate price. To consider euthanising an endangered wild animal who is currently in a breeding program so save his species is unthinkable! Don't make Oz pay with his life also for following his natural instincts. I have read how much the zoo keeper loved her big cats and I am 100% sure she would not want Oz to pay for this tragic incident with his life! 

2015-09-20 20:57

its a wild animal, because it did what it was designed to do...DESTROY IT??? what the hell, leave it alone...this is what it is a TERRIBLE accident...don't make the tiger pay.

Although I feel for the woman killed and her family at this time. If oz was to die too it would be at the hands of the very humans I trusted with his life. Humans keep him in captivity... That is actually an honour to care for a wild animal in such trouble in its natural habitat. We are part of the conservation of them so putting on to sleep for doing what it naturally does is stupid. It would be interesting to know HOW and WHY this happened as I would bet money it comes down to processes or lack of following them that lead to this day failing both this woman and the tiger. I will be pretty disappointed in my home city if this happens and Hamilton zoo is one of my favourites but I'm not sure I would want to support or visit a zoo that would do that to an animal under their care.

Its not the animals folt

2015-09-20 20:58

These beautiful animals were not born to live in captivity. We choose to put them in zoos we suffer the consequences

2015-09-20 20:59

Oz is my most favourite tiger. I also enjoy watch Wild Vets as well
Tyler

2015-09-20 21:00

What would the zoo keeper want? I really don't think she would want him to be put down, do you?

2015-09-20 21:01

Oz is a wild tiger ,he isn't a pet. Why was the keeper in a place where the tiger could get her? We can't put a endangered tiger down because it did what we all know tigers do. What are we proving by destroying this awesome animal? We cant change what happen but hopefully we can learn from it.

2015-09-20 21:02

Because it was not Oz's fault. The keepers have a responsibility to keep both the keepers and the animals safe. Auckland went through a lot of trouble to get Oz to nz. So he is very important to the breeding program. Tigers are endangered as well so him being put down when he is not sick or injured should be illegal. He is a wild animal, so what do you think would happen if someone went into his territory.He acted just like he was expected to.

2015-09-20 21:03

We must save these poor animals, they are only doing what is natural to them. Sadly the only chance of survival for them is to be in captivity rather than in their natural environment, as we humans are destroying this world through greed. Condolences to the keeper who I am sure would not have wanted OZ to be put down either.

2015-09-20 21:04

He's a wild animal he's only doing what he was born to do.

There should have been proper safety procedures in place that were followed so the keeper could clean the cage. It is not the tigers fault - it is a natural behavoiur for this kind of animal

We need to remember these animals like Oz are wild animals. I am sure everyone who works with these beautiful animals knows this and the risk associated with being around them.

Oz is a tiger & they kill & I feel very sorry for the family & friends of the keeper but why was she close enough to Oz to get mauled.

2015-09-20 21:05

Please don't put oz down he is a tiger a wild animal not a pet.Thats what tigers do in the wild (hunt) he is in a zoo for people to admire not to be a pet.He is only doing what tigers do I'm sure he dosent want to be where he is.Condolences to the keepers family.

2015-09-20 21:07

not the tigers fault,he was only doing what comes naturally.my condolences go to the keepers family.

2015-09-20 21:08

You can't blame a tiger for being a tiger.

2015-09-20 21:08

As awful as the death of the keeper is, certainly those working with wild animals are aware of the risks involved. The tiger shouldn't be punished for acting upon its natural instincts and hopefully safety legislation will ensure this won't happen in future!

2015-09-20 21:12

The tiger was just acting instinctively and though sad, he should not be killed/punished for his actions.

2015-09-20 21:13

Animals instinct humans are a predator in there learning with there pride

2015-09-20 21:15

A tiger is a wild animal. It has no sense of what we deem right or wrong and relies purely on instinct. Who are we to decide this beautiful animal should die because he was behaving exactly as he should. My sympathy is with the keepers family.

2015-09-20 21:15

Very sorry keeper was killed but she should not have gone into enclosure with tiger. This was not the tigers fault. He was just killing prey which is a natural thing for him to do.

2015-09-20 21:17

I don't believe poor Oz should be killed off as he's a wild animal as natural instinct came out... can't fully tame any wild animal :(

2015-09-20 21:18

My thoughts are with the keepers family at this difficult time.

Oz is a wild animal in captivity and has natural instincts. Tigers are an endangered species if we are going to continue to keep them in captivity we have to be very conscious that this is not their natural habitat! Please do not put Oz down!!

2015-09-20 21:21

A tiger is a wild animal whether he lives in captivity or not. He did what tigers do and must not be killed for it. Zoo keepers are amazing, dedicated people and I am sure they would not want him killed either. They know the risks they take everyday and still do it gladly for the love of animals. Very admirable.