Historic Terrace Theatre Hy-Vee Boycott

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Historic Terrace Theatre Hy-Vee Boycott.

2016-07-20 17:05

Destroying historic buildings bothers me way more than unisex bathrooms. I don't have a problem moving my grocery business to Target.

2016-07-20 19:08

Robbinsdale has a building that could be an icon of their city (again) and an economic driver for their community. Invest the time and money to restore the Terrace and you would have a destination entertainment venue for Twin Cities residents and beyond.

2016-07-20 20:09

I grew up in Crystal and we all went to this beautiful theater on field trips, and our parents would drop us off there. I remember Willy Wonka and Westworld. It was a place that we could go to see movies that was unique.

2016-07-20 20:53

By razing the Terrace, the city of Robbinsdale would be making a decision contrary to their own self-interest. Downtown Minneapolis has seen an influx of condos being built for the upsurge in Millennials moving back into the city both from the suburban metro & out of the state. Barring a catastrophic downturn in the economy, what you'll eventually see is that trend heading up Broadway Ave towards Robbinsdale & what those people are attracted to is the charm of the city & the abundance of post-WWII, mid-century architecture that ISN'T the cookie-cutter clones that is prevalent in virtually every other suburb & with some investment, the Terrace Theater would be the shining jewel for the city like it once was. A big box store is not going to be a draw in & of itself, especially when there's another Hy-Vee a mere 3 1/2 miles from the proposed site. So, the city has to ask itself what it wants more, is it going to be a stable, charming city known for gently guiding growth while preserving it's landmarks or one that is just another knock-off of every other suburban development? I can tell you this, if you ask anyone who's moved close to an urban core in a major metropolitan area, the answer will never be, "because I like how I'm less than a mile from a Walmart." With a Walgreens, CVS & Cub Foods already so close, why do we need to destroy a fantastic example of architecture that Robbinsdale had so much civic pride in just for the prospect of having another place to buy Little Debbie Zebra Cakes. Rehabbing the Terrace is possible, but the real obstacle is the owners of the theater who were actively complicit in it's decline over the past 14 years.

2016-07-20 21:40

I grew up in robbinsdale and my uncle used to work at the terrace for many years, i have some great memories of this theater

2016-07-20 22:38

I spent my childhood going to Terrace theatre with my 4 other siblings.
Later as an adult when visiting Robbinsdale with my family we would go to movies at the Terrace. Every Sunday after church for years !

2016-07-21 04:01

I went to the Terrace Theature from my childhood into adult hood. It is a gem that should be restored!! I had no idea Hy Vee was going to demolish it. I was formerly a fan of the store but not after this .

#133 Re:

2016-07-21 04:09

#126: -  

Hahaha good one

2016-07-21 04:10

HyVee should promote opportunities for growth that don't impact community resources that can be leveraged for growth outside of what HyVee offers.

2016-07-21 04:21

I grew up in Robbinsdale. I saw the first movie I remember at the Terrace. We saved the Palace theatre on 7th place in downtown St. Paul. Now it will be a music theatre as there is a demand for a venue that size. We need a market study for ideas on how to re-purpose it but first save it from demolition.

#136 Re:

2016-07-21 04:36

#135: -  

Thank you sister

2016-07-21 06:17

The Terrace Theater is a cultural icon. Cannot imagine tossing it out like yesterday's trash. I have many fond memories surrounding this beautiful building. Future generations deserve to be a part of it.

2016-07-21 11:02

We have far more grocery stores than we do historic theaters. This would be a lovely addition to what is shaping up to make Robbinsdale a date destination.

2016-07-21 11:46

There's a new Hy Vee in New Hope, Brooklyn Park, and plans for Maple Grove and other surrounding areas. There's only one Terrace Theater!

#140 Re:

2016-07-21 13:47

#129: -  

Well put

2016-07-21 14:11

I grew up in that neighborhood and spent many a day and nights watching movies in that theater. It is an icon and should stay in the neighborhood.

2016-07-21 15:06

The Theatre is a local historic landmark. Why are some obsessed with the need to tear old down and build new? Returning this theatre to it's original use could provide the area with a renewed interest in attending the movies. With TV, iphones, computers, we've lost a piece of history by not going to the "movies". Memories remain

2016-07-21 15:45

PLEASE !!! Don't destroy an important part of the communities history ! That was a Beautiful Building Lets restore it and bring life back to it for other generations to enjoy ! If not a theatre, there are So Many ways to turn it into a profitable and Wonderful attraction for Robbinsdale Who really needs it Hy Vee I will be so disapointed you wouldn't care about the people and community There are Many places to build elsewhere Join us and care ! Don't destroy our theatre <3

2016-07-21 16:10

Fuck a national chain store. Local people have their on ingenuity. Leave the Terrace alone.

2016-07-21 16:16

Lived in Robbinsdale and went to this theater and took my children there after moving to Crystal. Would not want it torn down.

2016-07-21 16:17

We want to rip history apart all for the sake of convenience? That is an outrage to Robbinsdale's heritage. Heck no to Hy-vee.

2016-07-21 16:52

The benefits to the community would be huge if the theater were to be restored and a grocery store added the same size as the old Rainbow or smaller, possibly a co-op. It could be a major music venue and host to film festivals. Restored to the original condition with one screen would not be as expensive as the developers claim. Once the building is gone it's gone. A major part of Robbinsdale history gone forever and money stuffed into the pockets of out of state owners of an unnecessarily big, eyesore grocery store. We already have Cub down the street and a Hi-Vee 10 minutes away. Please, let's save or history and charm.

2016-07-21 18:12

I grew up on 36th and Noble starting in 1952, walked to it growing up. My parent's owned first a grocery store then converted it to a hardware store. Since 36th was widened it was torn down in 1976, the Terrace was built by famous architects, is a treasure and can be made into something else. Please don't get rid of a treasure, there are so many people willing and able to preserve it, it can coexist with anything that is proposed for the sight. Save it, don't destroy it. PLEASE!!!!!!

2016-07-21 19:01

I want the historic Terrace Theatre to remain standing. I also think that if Hy-Vee wants a grocery store/restaurant in the Terrace Mall of Robbinsdale, Hy-Vee can buy the former Rainbow Foods site and some of the smaller empty stores and turn them into a Hy-Vee. Leave the Terrace Theatre ALONE!!

2016-07-21 19:56

I believe there MUST be some way to save this historic building, even if it doesn't get used as a theater!