Historic Terrace Theatre Hy-Vee Boycott

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Historic Terrace Theatre Hy-Vee Boycott.

2016-07-15 09:43

I believe this is a building worth saving. I hope it gets listed in the historic register. Robbinsdale is an area that's worth reviving.

2016-07-15 10:07

That was the very first theater that I brought my first girlfriend to watch the Shining.

2016-07-15 12:38

We need to value the historical buildings. We can never get that back! A another chain store does not justify tearing down history!!!! They can build their ugly building somewhere else!

2016-07-15 12:46

I believe in maintaining historic structures. I also have some great memories at this theater from my childhood

2016-07-15 12:51

I am sure there is a way to make this work for both groups.

2016-07-15 13:35

I grew up in Robbinsdale and frequently spent time as a kid, then later as an adult, at the Terrace Theater watching movies. After a few times we just took for granted that it would be there. It was one of the most beautiful theatres of its time. The copper on the walls and the fireplace in the coffee area, the large windows all around the lobby that provided so much brightness during the daytime were spectacular, as was the large open inner theater itself. I was saddened when I went back years later to a divided small theater with little of the grandiosity it possessed earlier. I still picture this theater in its prime and would love to see it restored and utilized.

2016-07-15 14:21

We need to preserve and not destroy this historical, architectural gem sitting in Robbinsdale's backyard and not support another big box chain grocery store that Robbinsdale does NOT need.

2016-07-15 14:34

I have such wonderful memories of the Terrace. Especially the water fountain. Cried to Ol' Yeller, laughed and cried and necked in the dark.

2016-07-15 14:51

I do not want to see the Terrace demolished. I love the Terrace and it could be used for so many things;
I would never go to Hy-Vee. In the first place it is not Union

2016-07-15 14:56

Many good memories ! Think of my wife when i go by it.she pass away 2013. an a lot more friends ! it's a big part of Robbinsdale History ! They Need another Food Store like a Whole in there Head ! TY PLEASE SHARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-07-15 15:08

Hy-Vee is another overpriced chain that is spreading across the Twin Cities. I don't believe these stores are going to survive in this market. Why destroy a historic landmark for a business that in my opinion will go out of business and sit empty as an eyesore to the community for years? Look at Thriftway in Crystal.

2016-07-15 15:17

The Terrace is a historical landmark and should be saved from demolition.  Would love to see it renovated.

2016-07-15 16:16

I grew up in Crystal and then moved to Maple Grove. Even living in Maple Grove, I continued to go to the Terrace as it was my favorite place to see movies, and the theater was so beautiful and majestic to me. Going to the newer ones was just so blah. Many, many memories of the place. The fact that Hyvee is so callous in their regard to this precious building, and the surrounding community it is invading, is disgusting. Let's not even consider the Terrace for a second, an outside company comes in and makes these demands on a community that they see as desperate and has no regard for trying to fit into that community by meeting them halfway to gain some respect. If they follow through with their plans, I not only will boycott them, but I will rally anyone I know to do so as well.  I am stunned that the powers that be in Robbinsdale are actually considering this as an option. There is a Cub on 36th if people have forgotten.

2016-07-15 17:03

It is in the interest of citizens to retain historical architecture to reflect the unique character of their communities. It is a big part of what typically attracts business and families to operate and live in a community. We have enough big box stores and cookie cutter architecture being built by outside developers whose only concern is quick profit and the return on investment that cheap shoddy ugly retail space is intended to bring to a few investors. We should not mistake this for real investment in the community. New does not always equal added value. I would rather see the theater restored and repurposed as a centerpiece in a thoughtfully planned central business area that retains the historic charm of the Robbinsdale small town downtown hub.

2016-07-15 17:50

I saw a ton of movies there, loved that theater.

2016-07-15 18:21

WE don't need a Hy-Vee, we need a restored Terrace.

2016-07-15 18:25

Because city officials don't realize the gem they have in the Terrace and restoring it and using it will bring people from al over to enjoy it. Also haven't seen any environmental studies on having gas pumps so close to Crystal Lake.

2016-07-15 18:47

This is where I grew up. It's sad to see this. Hope it doesn't happen.

2016-07-15 19:16

This landmark MUST be saved! If nothing else, then at least the exterior.

2016-07-15 19:17

Great Historical Landmark...should be used for the community...maybe a playhouse for a theater group...but not torn down for a Hy Vee store

2016-07-15 19:18

I am a 5+decade resident of the area, and I saw dozens of movies at the Terrace from early childhood on, including many new releases. I have also attended many shows at the Historic Heights Theater in Columbia Heights, and would like to see the Terrace Theater have a chance to be listed on the registry and be an asset to the neighborhood.
I know of many 'big box' grocery chains (including Hyvee) within miles of the Terrace, which give residents ample opportunity for that mode of shopping. It resonates that the fact that the Rainbow Store failed is a sign that another food store is not a remedy.
I believe that the disregard towards neighborhood concerns listed in the petition indicates that Hyvee is not interested in community, rather they are looking to just make a profit.

2016-07-15 19:19

Two reasons.. 1) lack of concern for those in the community who want to save the Terrace, including myself!
2) the exact location, building such a huge building across the street from our home will box us in.. we already are forced to look at the back of the last new construction, and this will completely ruin the appeal of our home..

2016-07-15 20:23

This place has so much history, it would be a beautiful restoration. I saw my very first movie here (lion king) my mother and grandparents had seen their first movies here also.
A great piece of history of north Minneapolis has been lost, lets not competely destroy it. Restore away!!

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2016-07-15 20:23

2016-07-15 20:58

please do not get rid of this wonderful piece of history for a stupid grocery store....