KEEP THE PUNK SHOW ON BBC RADIO 1

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition KEEP THE PUNK SHOW ON BBC RADIO 1.

2014-06-18 15:09

when we are plagued with hour after hour of the same playlists of self-harming-inducing Jake Bugg and similar misery and pop-by-numbers I find it hard to comprehend how Radio 1 can try to end a legendary show and great DJ such as the punk show. You can't avoid the deluge of dance music that seems to endlessly pound your soul into submission all weekend with ill considered repetitive beats that seem to have been thrown together by a mute child so why must we suffer?

2014-06-18 16:49

This show is what made me start listening to the radio, please dont take it away!

2014-06-18 23:38

Underground and non mainstream music is the driving force behind the music industry. Without shows like The Punk Show, releases would be forced further underground and would only cause damage to the mainstream outlets.

2014-06-19 04:43

.mm.mm.

2014-06-19 04:44

2014-06-19 15:33

This is the best show on the air as far as I and many others are concerned. Please don't take it away.
Thanks! :)

2014-06-21 17:43

We need the punk rock show, Mike Davis has taken over the baton from the late John Peel and is playing the music that no one else plays. RADIO ONE,WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER DANCE SHOW, KEEP MIKE DAVIS HERE!

2014-06-21 19:02

We need as many people as possible to get involved with keeping this radio station going. As a 17 year old, I see music as my biggest inspiration and this is a great show to hear great punk music, and this is a scene that is forgotten about and it shouldn't be! We need to keep this scene alive.

2014-06-24 21:05

We need more punk

2014-07-01 14:27

Keep it movin' ..
Munk Ponkey

#61 Endangered Species

2014-07-02 16:09

This is the only mainstream punk show I'm aware of. It should not only be kept for its high quality host, music, interviews and festival work, but it's rarity in the world should give it some extra level of protection. C'mon BBC, represent "me". I don't want more dance music. Put the show on at 3 AM if you've got to, I'll listen on demand.

2014-07-02 16:42

Please don't get rid of mike!

2014-07-12 00:38

Punk rock has never been needed more in the world. Varied & important music delivered by this inclusive & dedicated DJ.

2014-07-12 21:50

Save the punk

2014-07-14 23:56

When the BBC get rid of Mike it will just be the start. You watch the Rock Show disappear within a couple of years too. The BBC radio coverage covers almost every style of music...bar punk, ska, metal, and in many ways rock. The number of people who go to Download, Sonisphere, Reading (not as applicable nowadays!) and many other festivals should justify it by itself. I hope they reconsider.
misfit

#66 Punk Show

2014-07-22 08:54

Listening to the punk show allows me to catch up with bands I grew up with such as The Clash,Bad Religion, Social D, The Offspring, Rancid, NOFX, Alkaline Trio etc and also allows me to listen to newer bands I may not necessarily listen to now I am at that age where I do not necessarily keep up with newer bands but on the back of hearing these bands on the punk show I went to see New Town Kings and The Murderburgers to name just a few.

Also where would I be able to listen to such a broad range of bands from New Town Kings, RX Bandits to Off with their heads. Also I would never have heard Off with their heads without the punk show and I am sure I am not the only one.

When I was younger I played in punk and rock bands and this show offers these newer bands an instant market my generation never had and I think that is fantastic. It also allows good bands to flourish. I went to see The Computers, which I never would without the Punk Show, and they were excellent and then they graduated to Reading. I do not think this transition would have happened as quickly without their Maida Vale session reaching a larger audience.

To the question who listens to the radio these days. I listen to the Punk Show with Mike Davies when I am in the office through iplayer and so do some of my colleagues and my friends so please do not think music at midnight does not have an audience. With the introduction of iplayer it means we can listen to the punk show wherever we want and whenever we want.

Best

M
misfit

#67 Punk Show 2

2014-07-22 09:36

Following on from what I have just said I have just read that they plan to increase of the length of the rock show or add an additional rock show evening but what I say to this is will it include bands like The Skints, who I saw at Koko in London and they were excellent, The Aggrolites, New Town Kings and my band of the moment The Interrupters who epitomise everything I like about Ska Punk. When I saw The Skints they said last year they played there, and pointed a small pub, to an audience of about 12 people but when I saw them they filled out Koko and part of the reason for this was the fact that Mike championed them on the Punk Show. I think this shows the far reaching effects of the Punk Show.

Therefore without the Punk Show or an outlet for such bands they will be left playing to half empty pubs. I know this because this was what it was like when I was younger. In certain parts of the country live venues are under threat at the moment such as Night and Day in Manchester, look it up and sign the petition, and if these venues fall by the wayside there will be nowhere for these up and coming bands to play. It is a vicious circle so keep the music alive on the radio and this will keep these venues open.

Best

M
TheKingSixtyTwentyFour

#68 Punk Show

2014-08-16 12:18

Literally gutted to hear that the Punk Rock show is being axed from Radio 1. Mike has been a fantastic presenter, and through him i've been able to listen to all sorts of up and coming bands from both around the UK and further afield. I used to listen to the Rock Show (with D P Carter) on a regular basis, but just got bored of the music there after a while. There are some excellent bands, but also a lot of rubbish. I started paying the Punk Rock show more attention a few years ago, and it is literally the best show on Radio 1 - I bet the people who axed the show didnt even listen to it once!

All the best for the future Mike - I can't see you being out of a job for long though!

#69 Save the punk show!

2014-08-27 18:00

#7: -  

This is the only show that I listen to on Radio One.  Please keep it on the air.

2014-09-01 06:15

A great show that means so much to a lot of people. Please reconsider.
raj

#71 Re:

2014-09-29 07:37

#1: -I believe they are cancelling the show