Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

#576 Bartlett's quote

2011-03-02 14:15

"Constituents should choose to educate themselves before they continue the gossip. It is scary because this is how people like Hitler come to power. They believe the untruths. I think it’s really sad when the administrators perpetuate the lies. It is very discouraging as a proponent of public education to see the lack of respect from people that interface with our children on a daily basis.”
This is exactly why we need to show up en masse at her town hall meeting tomorrow night ( Osborne HS - 6:00). How can you be school board chair(and a teacher) and hate teachers and administrators?
Mrs. Bartlett - we are educated constituents. We are also angry, motivated, organized, financed and ready to fight this battle. So maybe you should be scared (of losing the absolute power that you presently hold).
Cobb teacher and parent

#577 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 14:20

#575: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaksWhy did they

Why did they schedule the meeting for a Sunday night? Why not elect the chair at the already scheduled meeting?

I was unaware that once you become a teacher - you lose your civil rights. We are also parents, homeowners, and taxpayers and have just as much right as anyone to voice our opinions.

Joy Amicarella

#578 Aug. 1st Calendar

2011-03-02 15:26

You asked us to vote, we voted! Now listen to us!

#579 Why vote?

2011-03-02 16:00

Why did you ask for public opinion if you were going to vote against it? That is bad business!
jennifer rosati

2011-03-02 16:17

I would like the calander to stay the same
Jo Gantt

2011-03-02 16:51

I don't understand how the new calendar was voted in for three years and is now able to be changed. It has been a difficult change for those of us who have made plans for Sept. and have non-refundable deposits.
Susanne Henry

2011-03-02 16:56

I feel that if they ask people to vote then they should let the votes win.
Alma Proffitt

#583 Petitions24.com

2011-03-02 17:09

Why change something in midstream that has already been approved and some vacations were  made from your school calendar. It had already been voted on and approved.   A waster of time with some many more important issues facing the school.  

Teresa Johnson

2011-03-02 17:30

The county needs to stick with their prior 3 year commitment!
Karen Mariana

#585 They should make good on the commitment

2011-03-02 17:32

Can't believe they went against the vote. Doesn't make sense they would survey and then ignore the results.

I love more frequent breaks for students and teachers. It give kids a chance to catch up if they have been sick or feeling pressured with a heavy class load. It gives high schoolers more days to visit colleges without missing school. It gives teachers a chance to recharge. It gives families a chance to vacation when prices are lower and places are less crowded. Most kids are bored by end of July anyway.

the Board has broken the trust and they need to mend their ways.
Gabriella Schwartz

#586 Return our calendar or pay for our vacation deposits!

2011-03-02 17:36

Six Flags and the politicians they bought should be sued for financial damage they are causing all of us.

#587 Town Hall Meeting with Board Chair - 6pm Tomorrow Evening Osbourne High

2011-03-02 18:04

LET'S ALL SHOW UP TOMORROW EVENING AT OSBOURNE HIGH!!!!!

From the Cobb County Schools Twitter account:

The March 3 Town Hall meeting with Board chair Alison Bartlett will now take place at the Osborne High School auditorium at 6 p.m.
Chris Bailey Jr.

#588 Lame!

2011-03-02 18:51

This is lame!
Christine Schoonover

#589 Balanced School Year Calendar

2011-03-02 19:09

The calendar was voted on last year for a three year trial period. Before definitive data can be presented, it needs to be in effect for that time. Before changing the calendar, please let it run its course and then decide.
Joseph Nguyen

#590 old calendar

2011-03-02 19:09

i want the old one back because its cool, and everyone else likes it! :D
Hali Hardwick

2011-03-02 19:16

Thank you for your time. :)
Autumn Quinney

2011-03-02 19:37

i think the calender should stay the same. i like starting school on the 1st of august and i love the breaks

2011-03-02 19:37

i love starting on the 1st

#594 Re: Abuse

2011-03-02 19:45

#13: Blake Tippens - Abuse 

Here, here!  You said it perfectly!  Hit the nail on the head!

#595 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks

2011-03-02 19:49

#577: Cobb teacher and parent - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 412 Re :Re: Re: Re: People need breaks 

- The board was elected to replace the disgraced board (grand jury, recall, etc.) and act aggressively (not waste taxpayer funds and teacher salaries to go on RETREAT like the fool LCE wanted)

- They have every right to schedule a meeting on any night that the MAJORITY of the board wanted - they did so

- I don't understand your babble about civil rights.  I don't see anyone's rights being impinged (as happened to parents by the disgraced board)

- I do see a small group of employees acting unprofessional in public meetings, supporting a former administrator who is fighting attempts by the new board to save money for teacher's salaries (as well as waste funds on retreats)

- Perhaps this same small group  is not used to "not having their way" as they do in the classroom

#596 Re: Bartlett's quote

2011-03-02 20:02

#576: - Bartlett's quote 

How many days has Bartlett been out of her classroom? Over 35 I have been told.  I guess that is why she doesn't feel that teachers need a break. Well...most teachers don't take days off  from teaching  to  work another job. Sounds like she does.

She doesn't work in Cobb County. I am sure that she took advantage of the Fall and WInter Break to go herself and her children to dentists and dr. appoints. Bartlett needs to be held accountable for her  actions and comments. She is not a true representative of hard working parents and teachers. Is she on some kind of power trip?  Does this new board really care about the teachers and students, or a few people who want longer summers? What is the point of longer summers. Studies has found that students do better with more frequent breaks not longer ones. Lets keep this petition going and get it to the proper authorities to shake this board up and out!

#597 Re: Re: Bartlett's quote

2011-03-02 20:13

#596: Guest - Re: Bartlett's quote 

A refreshing break from teaching is surely why Chair Bartlett took the position.  CCSD Board chair is a piece of cake.

Apparently some teachers don't think that they and their peers are able to serve in board positions and hold a day job.

Who specifically told you that she has missed 35 days?  Catty? Rumor-mongering? or Truth?  In any case what she does with her employer isn't CC business.

"I am sure that she took advantage of the Fall and WInter Break to go herself and her children to dentists and dr. appoints."   What specifically makes you so sure?  I thought her break week was cancelled to address snow days.

"proper authorities"  - just who would this be?

#598 Re:

2011-03-02 20:14

#56: -  

It was a survey, not a vote.

Michela Towne

#599 balanced calendar

2011-03-02 20:59

Why have a survey asking what the shareholders and employees want only to implement the opposite!? It shows how blatantly disrespectful the School Board is towards those they were elected to serve.Be certain that this WILL be remembered at the next election.

#600 Re: balanced calendar

2011-03-02 21:05

#599: Michela Towne - balanced calendar 

I agree - opening up issues to surveys that can be so easily abused is not a proper way to go.

The board should own up to their mistake (putting out a survey like that).