Save Gibraltar's Street Names

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Gibraltar's Street Names.

2011-05-28 14:38

Keep Gibraltar's street names as they are - they mean something - they reflect the heritage and history of Gibraltar and should stay as they are. By all means new streets can ahve new names and that is they way is should be.

2011-05-28 15:11

Enough of our Heritage has been lost either through lack of (current Government) True pride, or simply because they have been far too busy doing other stupid things.So at least let US voice our humble opinions, so as not to loose any more of what has been part of our Culture.
Anne-Marie

#28 Leave our Street Names as they are - Protect our heritage please!

2011-05-28 15:37

It is vital to our survival as a people and a nation to protect our Rock and the history attributed to it. All street names have a historical story and we should not forget that. We need to tell our story via our history. Tourists need to see and hear our history.
No to renaming but yes to naming new roads and streets!
Let us not forget our past that is our foundation!
Steph

#29 Re: Leave our Street Names as they are - Protect our heritage please!

2011-05-28 15:42

gib In the dark

#30 Re:

2011-05-28 19:12

#21: Mistral -  

i would love to know where more information on that area can be found. I think a park with a gazeboo would be a great idea but since everything in gib seems to be constructed in top secret no one hears anything until your house starts shaking from a demolishion next door!

2011-05-28 19:37

I agree, original street names should not be changed, and if we have to honour our bishops do so in some other way..either by naming new streets after them or erecting a comemorative plaque or bust.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-05-28 19:38

Pititi

#33 Street Names

2011-05-28 20:51

I entirely agree with our Government to change the street names as per their suggestion. Our Catholic Bishops deserve this and much much more.
Jane

#34 Re: Street Names

2011-05-29 03:10

#33: Pititi - Street Names

So you can pay the lawyer for me to change my deeds and you can queue up everywhere I have to change my address! There are plenty of new roads that can be named after Bishops, who is Bishop North Front Avenue anyway?

2011-05-29 13:38

These two bishops may have done a lot of good during their life time, but are the religious elite AND OUR LEADERS forcing their believes on everyone else? It’s getting as bad as Spain, where every other step one takes one comes to a religious festival of some kind! There are more than just one religious believe in Gibraltar and I don't see street names being changed to reflect this. RESPECT OUR HERITAGE AND LEAVE OUR STREET NAMES ALONE!!

2011-05-29 16:17

Please honour prominent people by naming new streets with their names.
Please keep our old names. They are part of our heitage. Thank you.
J

#37 Re:

2011-05-29 18:21

It was an initiative started from the Opposition... lol I agree it shouldn't go through, but it's not because of the gov's disregard ! lol

2011-05-29 22:59

How sad that a few 'powerful' people are trying to wield their authority and gain kudos from a small number by removing some of Gibraltar's heritage to make way for new...there is enough of that.

There will be new roads...name these after notable citizens. No need to go to the costly expense for everyone concerned of renaming existing roads. I really think this is the last thing those venerable men would want...

2011-05-29 23:50

I wouldn't like the existing street names to ba changed. I do however think that some new streets could be named after the two late bishops

2011-05-29 23:54

We must not allow our heritage be taken away from us

2011-05-30 00:54

Why is this government so determined to change everything ? Our ancestors and future generations desrve better.Name new streets or pathways in the Alameda Gardens instead.

2011-05-30 13:33

This is an arrogant proposal which exhibits no regard for Gibraltar's heritage and history. I suspect that those immediately affected (having to change addresses) have not been consulted. In the coming elections, I shall vote for whoever undertakes to reverse this measure.
Me

#43 Gibraltar Street Names

2011-05-30 13:37

When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change.

2011-05-30 22:50

Michelle Carroll told me to do this.
Lizi

2011-05-31 03:15

The name 'Devil's Tower Road' offended some people? They should complain about it on the internet.
G

2011-05-31 04:33

I agree that it would be nice to keep the same street names, but come on it's not like it's the end of our heritage cause a couple of names are changed. Maybe people should stop complaining so much about the government and be grateful for what we have in Gibraltar. We are so much better off and taken care of than most countries, the elderly are well looked after, we have great education including free university access. No one will ever be happy, but that's cause no government will ever be perfect. But you have to learn to live with a few things you don't like. Be grateful Gibraltar and stop complaining so much.

2011-05-31 08:57

Leave the street names as they are - New street names for new streets. If Heritage is important conserve it!
S

2011-05-31 10:52

#46: G -

G - If you agree to " live with a few things you don't like" you encourage the Government to do a lot of things you won't like! So all credit to those who complain - they help to keep the Government in the power of the people, and not the other way round.

2011-05-31 11:13

The streets/roads in new developments are sources of areas where new names could be added without having to take away old historic names

2011-05-31 12:55

So perhaps we should go back to its original name, "Torre Del Tuerto"? No doubt there was an outcry 300 years ago when its name was changed from Torre Del Tuerto to Devil's Tower.LOL.