NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-27 17:40

Why did you sign this petition? I believe that the choas must stop. Our youth already have enough to cope with.

2016-09-27 17:44

Because, irrespective of the history regarding the affordability of varsity fees (and please, I have FULL sympathy with these students...but their actions are completely out of line), I entered into a contract with NMMU (on behalf of my son) whereby he attends lectures, receives his notes, etc, etc....and I will pay what is due in terms of their fee structure.
In contract law, there is the rule regarding specific performance. And I am now demanding that the management of NMMU perform their part of the deal.
I fully paid the year's fees and I now expect compliance by the NMMU management.

End of story.

2016-09-27 17:47

I come from a disadvantaged background. I paid my way through all my tertiary study courses over the past 15 years. I thus value my qualification and believe that there is no such thing as a free hand out. If you cannot afford to study but you really want to then you must work for it. Entitlement is a counter productive notion.

2016-09-27 17:53

Because I am amongst many students who are suffering from the current strikes throught the country , like many students out there I too want to be able to attend classes without any disruptions as i take my studies seriously and find that being unable to do so is a violation of my constitutional rights.

2016-09-27 17:54

No communication from the NMMU Vice Chancellor? What is the economic impact of final year students not entering the workplace in 2017? What is the economic impact of mid-course students not entering the workplace in 2018/2019,2020? How many of the students protesting – are actually students and have student cards? What is the impact to the full-time and contract staff of the NMMU and their families? The movement wants free non-colonial education. What non-global/colonial education material is currently available? Linked to this, how does a student who qualifies with African content only – compete in a global/colonial marketplace? Simple Solution: The army gets deployed to the NMMU and allows in students who want to study and staff who want to work Students found damaging property and disrupting staff/students get suspended from the NMMU Non-students found protesting and disrupting staff/students get arrested and formally charged. I sincerely hope that when the first legal papers for study refunds reach the VC at the NMMU, he gets off his backside, opens his eyes and does something for the salary he earns.

2016-09-27 17:58

Kids should be allowed to attend classes if they want to without been harmed. This is a democratic country which means it is their democratic right to go to varsity.

2016-09-27 18:01

Because in a few years my kids will need an education. I paid off my student loan for the first 5 years after my studies. It wasn't free, nothing in life is free. You have to work for it, something these youngsters have no idea about. Grow up and start contributing to society instead of crushing this wonderful institution.

2016-09-27 18:08

My son is in his first year Bsc computer science.
He has worked very hard, obtaining five distinctions in his first semester.
I cannot afford for him to have to add an extra year onto his studies because of this nonsense!

2016-09-27 18:09

My son is a student at NMMU, we are paying parents and he needs to go back to lectures.

2016-09-27 18:10

It is very simple really. We are paying for a service and if the NMMU does not deliver the service, they are in breach of the contract and we will demand a full refund. To these cowards that are destroying and violating my rights, grow up and go get a job. As a parent, I would dread the answer to my violent protesting child "so, what did you do today". Answer "nothing much, just destroyed the country a little more". How embarrassing for a mom or dad.

2016-09-27 18:14

Nmmu alumni-I feel strong about right to education

2016-09-27 18:17

My brother needs to finish his final year this year.

2016-09-27 18:18

Im a final year BTECH part time student. Our studies has already costed us leave days that we take off for tests and days when lectures are and time and delayed exam.
We are seriously behind in STATS classes as it yet due to the, I stand corrected, last strike the students had in June,

I don't feel it's fair for me to delay my degree and hold me back in my career due to strike that's happening at a very crucial stage in ones final year. this strikes leads to me repeating to complete next year just for one module

2016-09-27 18:27

Education is the best gift you can your child.

2016-09-27 18:31

I have 2 boys at NMMU. 1st year and 4th year. We are not 'privileged' as the protesters say. My boys work part time to subsidize their studies. We make my sacrifices to afford them this opportunity. Nothing is for free!!!

2016-09-27 18:39

This hooliganistic behaviour is unacceptable!!! And to top it all enews said tonight that taxpayers will have to pay for damage done by striking students....REALLY??????

2016-09-27 18:42

I want strikes to be dealt with by police and taken off campus. So we can learn and graduate.

2016-09-27 18:51

for all the reasons given

2016-09-27 19:02

Our children are ENTITLED to study freely.

#245 Contract obligations

2016-09-27 19:05

I work at nmmu and have project funded by outside company with deliverables. These cannot be now completed and thus will impact further funding.

No one will have any faith in nmmu and there will be less and less outside funding available. 

2016-09-27 19:07

Because I have right to work, students have right to study and management does not take this into consideration

2016-09-27 19:24

My children have a right to study and complete without these interruptions. Can't waste a year. We pay a lot of hard earned money.

2016-09-27 19:26

My daughter is a student at NMMU and I believe her right to study has been violated. Are the majority of the protesters even students at NMMU? Enough is enough, these born free's are just living up to their name. 

2016-09-27 19:30

I am a parent of a final year student. Also an educator and many years ago my poor parents had to pay for my studies and I am.paying now for my child to study. I am against what is happening. Yes if you have a good honest matric pass and apply for a free study course by all means BUT fail the 1st semester then you pay the fees back to the Goverment with interest. Or study and pay back in forrn of higher taxes till you have paid your studies.

2016-09-27 19:34

Has anyone seen all the racist remarks that are being made on NMMU facebook page? These FMF students think they are above the law