NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-27 08:22

I did not waste 5 years of my life that enabled me to study, for a group of people not willing to work hard to earn that privilege and expects everything to be handed freely. There is no age limit to tertiary education, you do not have to study right out of high school. Go work, save money, go study. Just like me and many others like me.

2016-09-27 08:27

I want to finish my degree and have a say in going back and attending my lectures. I feel we all need to stand together and have university reopen and not let it be disrupted again....

2016-09-27 08:28

My daughter should be allowed to get the education we have paid for. We are on a student loan and have to make our own sacrifices to enable her to attend the university. This behavior is unacceptable!

2016-09-27 08:33

Because it's bloody nonsense that a Few people are alloud to upset the majority who have almost finished this accademic year and want's to study.
That protest should be aimed at Goverment and sorted out off the campus

2016-09-27 08:40

I am currently in 3rd year. A future maths and science teacher to be. Next year is my final year. I want to go out into the world and make a difference. I will be teaching your children one day. Don't deny me my right to finish my degree in education and the right for others to study and make something great of themselves too. Let us go back to varsity. We are paying to be there. We have worked hard to be there. We have the right to be there.

2016-09-27 08:44

All protesting students should be banned from the university and further studies

2016-09-27 08:51

My daughter is studying at NMMU George campus and as you so perfectly summed up the issue I to cannot believe that a minority are being permitted to close an entire campus and violate the rights of the majority who wish to study ( as a fully paid up parent/student)

2016-09-27 09:01

Everyone has the right to access there paid for education safely and fairly! Disgrace that this is not being permitted to them student.

2016-09-27 09:08

As a third and final year student, these protests are holding our graduating in the balance. Many of us would like to voice our desire to go back to varsity and our disapproval of the way in which the protesters have behaved, but do not feel our safety is assured to make an appearance at the meetings and protests.

2016-09-27 09:09

Protesters are undermining other students rights by closing campuses country wide. This is not acceptable.

2016-09-27 09:09

great idea, Thank you

2016-09-27 09:13

To ensure that we can study and to rid NMMU of the Communist Cancer Marxists that is infesting the University!

2016-09-27 09:13

You can protest for one day but for weeks is a waste of time and resources. Time lost is never recovered

2016-09-27 09:14

My child is grade 12 and needs to study in 2017

2016-09-27 09:22

Because I want to study and progress with my academics

2016-09-27 09:23

we don't need a generation of Morons !

2016-09-27 09:25

My son is enrolled at NMMU currently. His right to education is taken from him. Furthermore, with all the disruptions in classes and therefore tests & exams, he is really being put in an extremely difficult position that will definitely prejudicial to him. He is registered at the disability unit and have to inform them of all test and exam dates at least a week before the actual date. This is to ensure that they enough time to arrange a scribe for him. With everything happening now, my greatest concern is that there will not be enough time to arrange all of this. He will definitely be prejudiced by this.

2016-09-27 09:26

My daughter is currently studying at NMMU and the last time that she could attend classes was on 12 September 2016, due to the ongoing striking of students that are just to use to getting every thing for free in this country.

Soon exams will start and without proper lecturing that could take place, I can just imagine that the results will not be as good, without any lecturing. I am one of the parents that do not complain if I have to pay for my child's education, but if I only get half the service from the lecturing process, then I will only pay half of the lecturing process.

I believe the management of the NMMU should really step up the authority so that the students that want to attend classes can start doing so. If NMMU needs to arrange an alternative venue so that lecturing can go on, then this should be done as soon as possible. The NMMU management cannot just sit back and let the "tail wag the dog" anymore and close the university indefinitely. I would like to get feedback on how do NMMU plan to catch up with missed lectures before the exam takes place.

2016-09-27 09:27

I want my degree!!!

2016-09-27 09:30

My son is enrolled at NMMU currently. His right to education is taken from him. We have to pay for his tuition and although we are perceived to be the 'advantaged', we are sacrificing a great deal to offer him this opportunity. Furthermore, with all the disruptions in classes and therefore tests & exams, he is really being put in an extremely difficult position that will definitely prejudicial to him. He is registered at the disability unit and have to inform them of all test and exam dates at least a week before the actual date. This is to ensure that they enough time to arrange a scribe for him. With everything happening now, my greatest concern is that there will not be enough time to arrange all of this. He will definitely be prejudiced by this.

2016-09-27 09:32

I feel that there isn't an opportunity to have our position heard. Those who have an opinion that is not in 100% keeping with the protesters are not able to safely have our voices heard. It's not clear safe to be in open opposition at mass meetings etc. And you're just shouted down and verbally abused on every other forum. I believe the majority actually want university opened but there has not been any opportunity to officially convey this. When a march in opposition to the shut down is considered, people won't commit despite their support of the opposition march's cause because they're afraid. NMMU needs to have an official vote. There has been no effort on NMMU's part to find out what the majority wants. The SRC that was elected by the majority is being disregarded and there are movements to disband it and nothing is being done to protect it. Four memorandums were submitted, those are not majority elected organisations that submitted the others, we can't have the official majority elected src undermined.
We're third year students who've paid for a full year of study. Some of us won't have the opportunity to stay on another year in the hopes that we can finish our degrees. Our entire degree could be wasted. University needs to also start letting us know if our assignments will be postponed. Some of our assignments can only be completed with library access which we have no access to but because of the uncertainty lecturers are not communicating with their students because they don't know what to tell them. They need to inform us if the assignments will be postponed. They also need to start making a plan for alternate methods of learning. Overseas many universities use online forums. Lecturers need to compile slides with voice recordings. For subjects for which that is not suitable, police need to secure the safety of lecturers to get on campus and they should do video lectures. NMMU you has video lecture technology as it was offered to students with disabilities recently.

2016-09-27 09:32

There is too much at stake!

2016-09-27 09:35

Lock the hooligans up!!!!!

2016-09-27 09:36

The reason the minority of students can do as they want is because they threaten other students with weapons. The militant protestors have made multiple death threats to students, and some of those protests have led to someone dying at wits

2016-09-27 09:38

My granddaugther is student at NMMU ..she works exceptionally hard and gets distinctions for 99% of her tests and exams. She should be afforded the opportunity to complete her studies without all this nonsense going on.