Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-17 15:51

Not all with mental and physical disabilities are able to perform the task of using the regular bus.These vulnerable citizens can't even fight for their rights. The city is certainly not doing their jobs. We need more intellectual leaders.
Kim Roy

2014-10-17 15:52

Not all disabilities are physical and mobility-related. A disability is a barrier to independent living. A mental disability that does not allow a person to utilize "regular" public transit due to an cognitive inability to process complex decisions is still considered a disability in every other situation. This City, as represented by the transit commission, has shows itself to be intolerant of those whose disabilities are not immediately visible.
SHAME ON YOU for your narrow-minded blindness in this decision.

2014-10-17 16:12

The city of Sudbury is being ridiculous. I could bet all my money that if one of their own had a mental disability and required the service of Handi-transit, this would never happen.

2014-10-17 16:22

this world really needs to change. the discrimination against people with development handicape is horrible and its everywhere. there is a huge lack of services for these people and we should all be fighting for them. This makes me so angry. I fight for services for my daughter everyday and I shouldn't have to.

2014-10-17 16:28

I agree there are many forms of disability, this exact situation is a prime example of someone who NEEDS this service. Cannot talk, developed to a 3 year old level and needs to transfer on public transportation, I get confused and I am a healthy, fully developed woman. I wouldn't send my 3 year old, very verbal, functioning child on a city bus alone for any reason!!!!

2014-10-17 16:36

Shame on you for discriminating against developmentally challenged people. These people and their families already have it tough. Your actions are shameful.
Leaving Scudzbury Soon

2014-10-17 16:39

Ah yes, the not so great greater shitty of scudzbury onterrible strikes again. I can hardly believe that they actually expect us to take pride in this shitty. I have a disability. You can't see it on the outside, and I am fortunate enough to not rely on this farce of a clowncil or its transportation department to get around here. But if I ever do, I'm secure in the knowledge that it won't be available to me. Believe me, taking the bus is a challenge for me some days when I'm having a bad day or when I haven't slept for a few weeks due to PTSD. The transit system is supposed to be for all people to be able to access, and the ones who use handitransit are no different in their right to access public transportation. This more recent bullshit move on the part of shitty clowncil and the transit department are yet further evidence that this place is not fit for human residency and ought to be either demolished or retrofitted to accommodate all people who reside here. These clowns really need to give their heads a shake and stop robbing the citizenry of their sense of independence. 

2014-10-17 16:44

a complete disgrace, maybe if city council paid for there own meals,the money can go into handi-transit

2014-10-17 16:51

WE have two Special Needs brothers, This is a disgrace. Who is behind such a decision???????
Not God that is for sure.

2014-10-17 16:59

Discrimination is simply wrong...Everybody has rights. I think Handi-transit had made a poor decision. It shouldn't matter what the disability is. They pay just like everybody else. The service is just safer for the challenged person. Think about it!!

2014-10-17 17:03

Sudbury handi-transit is so wrong to be doing this and should be held accountable for their wrongful actions. Honestly, whoever decided this has never had to deal with a child, teen, adult who has special needs.
Plus people PAY for this service.If the committee had a child or family member with a mental health issue they would get it then.
It is obvious that NO research was done prior to this "stupid" decision.

2014-10-17 17:07

As Sudbury is my hometown, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Disabilities come in all kinds of forms, and to ask someone who is able to walk, but can't communicate or has a mental functionality of less then their age, should NOT be expected to use the same public transit as everyone else.

2014-10-17 17:29

I think this is a disgrace.Anyone with a Mental or physical disability should be allowed to use this transit. I guess that no one on the on the board that made this rule do not have anyone with just a mental disability

2014-10-17 17:41

This really makes my blood boil! Whom ever approved this decision should be ashamed of themselves! It must be nice to be so perfect and never struggle with mental illness and be able to sit on your high horse to make decision about things you've never had to face.
Shame. Shame. Shame.

2014-10-17 17:48

Cannot believe this is happening! Thanks for spreading the word and giving an opportunity to voice our opinion by signing this petition!

2014-10-17 17:51

It is unbelievable that a city this size discriminates so blatantly against the disabled, whether it is a visible disability or invisible disability..People do not choose to be disabled, and this is just one more strike against them..Perhaps the Provincial Ombudsman Andre Marin should be advised of this, as I feel it is against human rights to deny people access to transportation..To think that someone who functions at the capacity of a 3 year old and has autism is forced to take public transit, transfer 3 times, and not get lost is beyond me..I HOPE THE PERSON WHO BECOMES MAYOR IN THIS CITY HAS A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THIS RIDICULOUS RULE....

2014-10-17 18:11

#68 not good

2014-10-17 18:13

2014-10-17 18:17

That is absolutely ridiculous ... I would NEVER allow my 4 year old let alone my 8 year old take the bus alone would you ? So how do you justify allowing a adult whom has the mentality of a 3 year old do it ? That just blows my mind .. Unjustified and inconsiderate .. Now how would you feel I this mother lost her job because she no longer could get her son transported safely enough to where he has to go so she can work .. What then ? She is forced to either apply for social assistance which we all know doesn't help enough with the economy or she places her son in a home .. Well that is a position where she shouldn't be forced into .. Sad sad day in sudbury :( once again unfortunately

2014-10-17 18:42

Unfortunately I can believe our goverment will allow this to happen this is likely only the beginning. Its time as Canadians we stood up for our rights instead of being so passive.

2014-10-17 18:47

So sad , what next think they should make cuts other places then this :(

2014-10-17 18:50

Permission should be assessed on an individual basis. Eliminating entire categories of people is not the solution.

2014-10-17 18:56

I am so sick and tired of the provinces and local politicians riding on the backs of the disabled..Enough!!....The city needs to go above and beyond for services to make life a little easier for these individuals...Do not steal from the needy to benefit the Elite...

2014-10-17 19:01

This is ridiculous i can not believe that they are even allowed to do this.

2014-10-17 19:32

This hits home for me . Please put yourself in someone else's shoes and realize what is actually going on here . Ask yourself these questions : what is wrong with people with mentally disabilities taking the handi transit ? Is this in their best interest to take the handi transit ? Does this make the lives of their loved ones a LITTLE bit easier ? And finally what is the REAL reason this is happening ?