Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-17 11:21

Shame on you Greater Sudbury !!!

2014-10-17 11:22

One day someone that makes these stupid decisions will hopefully have to deal with a small percentage of what these kids go through on a daily basis and more than that the parents who are doing what every other parent in the world would do for there children to keep them safe and help them make there mark in this world! Handicap or not!!!

2014-10-17 11:45

Shamefull of this city

2014-10-17 11:54

While I agree that the kid mentioned in the article should have access, but the difficult part becomes where do you draw the line at what is a "mental handicap". And who decides if someone has too much of a handicap to use the public busses or not. I wouldn't want to have to be the one deciding that.
It could easily become a bigger problem for the city by allowing it, with the simpler solution ( but not the best one for the people who might need it), is to only allow those with a physical handicap, much easier for them to decide.

2014-10-17 12:13

Only in Sudbury! Really bet you it would be different if someone from Sudbury Handi Transit had a n autistic Child that needed the service!

#31 The City of Sudbury should be ashamed of themselves

2014-10-17 12:15

This is appalling!!!! A person does not need to be in a wheelchair to be disabled. Mental illness is a disability and should have the same rights as those disabled in wheelchairs and walkers.

2014-10-17 12:40

These people Are disgusting! These people have every right to safe and public transit like any other persons within the community! I saw class action law suit!

2014-10-17 12:52

This is terrible and discriminating against the developmentally challenged in so many ways. The city of sudbury should be ashamed of themselves.

2014-10-17 12:55

Please sign position, this is so important. I personally know how important this is to my nephew and his family.

2014-10-17 12:59

SHAME ON YOUS CITY OF SUDBURY!!!!!!
linda

#36 Re: handicap transit

2014-10-17 13:02

#2: -  

i agree handicap is handicap whether its physical or mentally they keep raising our taxes and give us less service which these people were handicap somehow and they would have to fence for themselves

#37 Really Sudbury

2014-10-17 13:20

Seriously Sudbury, are you kidding!!! Why? Your excuses are not warranted, nor is your dark ages style of government acceptable. The Province of Ontario has moved forward in accepting people with disabilities as a vital part of our communities by closing the institutions. But, now this is brought to light of a local government marginalizing people who compliment the fabric of life in our community. Stop this now! Equality is for ALL people, not just your selected.

2014-10-17 13:24

This is so sad and so wrong. A disability is a disability, you do not discriminate !

2014-10-17 13:28

The city of sudbury has gone too far, once again. This discrimination MUST be rectified.

2014-10-17 13:34

Heartless !

2014-10-17 13:39

Shame on Sudbury!

2014-10-17 13:47

This is terrible. Cut corners somewhere
els. The Mother of this young man deserve peace of mind knowing her son is on a supervised bus.

2014-10-17 13:47

I realize they are working within the policy as written but definitely need to rework the policy standards.
Nicmac89

2014-10-17 14:16

I work for an agency that supports people with developmental disabilities and this really offends me. I have dealt personally with Handi transit in sudbury for the individuals that I support and our entire agency deals with them. I would be willing to help out with anything you need help with on this issue....you can reach me on Facebook (just so I don't give my personal number out here and it doesn't allow emails)....my name is Nick Macaluso and I live in Sudbury, and I could give you my contact number through there if it gets to that.

Thanks,

Nick :D

2014-10-17 14:23

It is an outrage to deny anyone a public service, let alone those who have no other option. How sad to know this is being allowed in Greater Sudbury. Council should be ashamed of themselves!!

2014-10-17 14:29

Think this is a great start, but believe this should go to the Human Rights Commission

2014-10-17 14:36

As a Handitransit driver here in Sudbury, I have no control over what the city does. The city needs to spend a day with one of these people and realize what type of care is required just to live a "normal" day. Obviously, these city workers have never lived with a physically or mentally disabled person. To deny access to public wheelchair transportation is just making there lives worse!

2014-10-17 14:55

is there no heart left anywhere in politics now a days. my scenario: strange that this handi transit should be refused to certain individuals at this time during the election campaign. what better area than the challenged to get attention and rising anger from the public. one person(s) takes this away and lets see just how long it takes a candidate or two to step up to the plate and say 'hey, i will fix this problem'...bingo votes galore. to those responsible for having this service removed from the every day routine of the challenged...shame on you. this is just one more notch in a belt...also recognized as BULLYING!!. more respect would come if you protected those unable to protect themselves, rather than kick them to the curb...then go back and take their ice cream cone away from them as well. it's all about choices. to those who 'choose' to be demeaning...it's all part of your ego trip. to those who stand up and make sure those who can't stand up for themselves, are heard...many kudos. one last comment on choice...being challenged is NOT a choice, being a BULLY is!!...thank you shirley mclean

2014-10-17 15:09

This is disgusting! This mom should sue the city!!

2014-10-17 15:14

Oh.. So many things to say about this!!!!!